Search results

1. ICG/SOU

Southern Railway steam decals?

I know Champ did them. Does anyone out there know who else? I've got a Bachmann Spectrum USRA Light 2-10-2 that I want to convert to a SOU Ss1 class, and need to change the decals (currently lettered for SBD). Microscale doesn't do SOU in steam. Thanks very much.
  2. ICG/SOU

DCC loco run on DC?

I've done some installations for folks who run dual mode (club layout is DC analog). For a Tsunami, the decoder generally requires 6 volts before the prime mover/air pump start up. From there, you'll get lights and movement when you give more throttle. If your lighting features are set in...
  3. ICG/SOU

DB-150 intermittent beeps

Do you have a short?
  4. ICG/SOU

Coaling Tower operations

The IC had two towers at Carbondale, IL on passing sidings (double main, as one was northbound, the other southbound). I don't know what engine servicing was there since the towers themselves are relics.
  5. ICG/SOU

Veteran's Call

Very late posting. US Army, 1996-2000 Fort Leonard Wood, Basic Training, D co 3-10 INF Presidio of Monterey, Russian Language Basic Course, Class 03/97, F co 229th MI BN Goodfellow AFB, B co 311th MI BN Kelly AFB, B co 314th MI BN (reflagged) Bad Aibling Station, Germany, attached to 66th MI...
  6. ICG/SOU

Utility poles!

Up and over.
  7. ICG/SOU

L&N Caboose?

For purchase or just to look at. Athearn, Atlas, Walthers are the first three places I'd look. You'll have to verify via period prototypical pictures, though, if the road number and paint and caboose type are right. I say so because the two main cabooses that Athearn uses (extended/wide...
  8. ICG/SOU

Steam weathering questions

Thank you very much. I say lightly because since I have so much rolling stock and locomotives, I end up giving everything the basic treatment first (couplers, wheels, trucks, and a shot of dullcote to get rid of the high shine of plastic), and will later go back and weather specific things...
  9. ICG/SOU

Steam weathering questions

I've only really seen current working steam and preserved static displays, so my experience is limited. I have two steam locos (Bachmann 2-10-2 and P2K Heritage 0-6-0) that I want to lightly weather, and to me, lightly weathering is some dullcote, painting the wheelsets, couplers and trucks...
  10. ICG/SOU

Coupler Question

Make sure that the coupler trip pin of the first car coupled to the locomotive isn't hitting the snowplow (if your loco as two plows or you're running one in reverse). You will have problems at most radii and turnouts if such is the case.
  11. ICG/SOU

Questions on track purchase

What I was speaking of in radius and longer intermodal was mainly in reference to reliability. The minimum recommended radii that the manufacturers list for their cars is the smallest that they could get the car on without it derailing a lot. Of course, minimum radii are under good track...
  12. ICG/SOU

Stripping wires

Mine is Klein Tools, part number 11057, as it goes from 20 gauge to 32 gauge (most of the wire I use is 30 or 32 gauge). Use it only on stranded wire. I have to offer caution on using an alternative method of wire snips or exactos. Many times you will cut the first few filaments of the...
  13. ICG/SOU

Last Weekend pictures in Deming NM

Wow. That's really nice of the locomotive engineer to do that.
  14. ICG/SOU

Questions on track purchase

I'd vote for Kato Unitrack because: 1) "I want to run modern inter-modal equipment as a long unit train behind 2-3 modern diesels. I also want to run a commuter train and some mixed oil, auto rack, lumber, etc cars." I recommend a minimum radius of 26" to 28" (assuming HO) as the bare minimum...
  15. ICG/SOU

HO Kato SD90 - remove shell

Yep, Kato locos are easy and clean to work on, but sometimes getting them apart for the first time stinks.
  16. ICG/SOU

athearn motor mount pads

I know it doesn't seem so now, but buying the full pack of parts, especially new motor mounts and screws, is a good investment. I don't know how many times I've had to raid my personal stocks for parts on customer's locomotives. You'll get more locos, and you'll fix up old ones, bringing...
  17. ICG/SOU

A question of sound...

Which decoders are they? (Tsunami, LC, etc.) Which ALCo prime mover? There isn't anything out there you would want to put them in?
  18. ICG/SOU

NS or CSX

I like them both. I have NS on my layout when I want to run post 1990s operations, as I model the local predecessor, the Southern Railway. I like CSX because I think the paint scheme is cool (grey, blue, yellow). It also helps that both run through my former home state.
  19. ICG/SOU

Atlas coil cars

I got mine last weekend, and finally sat down yesterday and did some work on them. They're really nice, and the painting is good. Some differences from the Atlas cars I've gotten in the past, though, like: 1) different wheels and trucks. The trucks are pretty close if not the same ones that...
  20. ICG/SOU

What makes Athearn locomotive "sluggish"

If your Athearn SW1500 is a recent (last 3 years or so) release, then it runs better because it has a better motor than the one in the SD40-2. It sounds like just a little tuning is necessary. Also, I'm assuming you have DCC, and if so, some adjusting the CVs or adding a speed table may help...

Back