Search results

1. Dan Lawler

First snow!

IT SNOWED! It's the first snow of the '23-'24 winter in north central Arizona. The old 2-8-0 sits quietly, ready to chug its way through the mighty 3" snowfall. As much fun with Photoshop as with the trains this morning. Happy January, y'all.
  2. Dan Lawler

3D printing

I'm considering getting a 3D printer. What are sources of ready to use model railroad software are available to print things like car bodies, detail parts, trackside structures, etc.? I can't see myself developing the CAD skills needed to design my own. 🤔
  3. Dan Lawler

This didn't work well

I want to share something that did not work too well. This was an experiment using actual garden dirt, sieved through a fine mesh to keep the particle sizes small, and glued down with a heavy soaking of hairspray. Now I'm finding great chunks of it not staying adhered. Next time I'll try...
  4. Dan Lawler

Model Engineering weathered track

So supposedly t's possible to strip the "weathering" from the very top of the ME rails with some sort of acid. Can anyone tell me where to get it, and how to use it? Thanks. ~Dan
  5. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

I'm soliciting opinions about benchwork. Perhaps because of my model airplane background I have learned to build light. I'm wondering if this concept is too light for an HO layout. This picture is of a temporary shelf, set up at the height I plan to build my model layout. The structure is...
  6. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

I'm soliciting opinions. I've been having an interesting discussion with a member here about the perceived color of nickel silver rail. To him is appears silvery, to me it appears goldish. (Not talking about brass rail which is clearly goldish in color, but Atlas or Peco nickel silver rail.)...
  7. Dan Lawler

Flextrack choices

Hi, I'm soliciting opinions about HO nickel-silver flextrack. What brand do you prefer? Any brand you don't like? Thanks. :)
  8. Dan Lawler

Friend can't log in

I've tried posting to admin and staff, but so far no response. I figure I'll just post this out here in the general forum and see if anyone can help. I have a friend who was quite active on the forum a couple of years ago. She has been away for a while, and now has lost her password and also...
  9. Dan Lawler

HO steel rail flextrack

Does anyone know a source of steel-rail flextrack? Not seeking brass or nickel silver. I know steel rail doesn't conduct electric power worth a hoot. This is purely for the "silvery glint" appearance; conductivity doesn't matter in this application.
  10. Dan Lawler

New house, new railroad

Hi all, After years away from model railroading and then a brief foray into a small N scale layout that never got finished, I then spent more years away. I have recently bought and moved into a new-to-me old house with a big closed-in porch. I took one look at that room and knew what I was...

Back