Search results

1. Dan Lawler

First snow!

IT SNOWED! It's the first snow of the '23-'24 winter in north central Arizona. The old 2-8-0 sits quietly, ready to chug its way through the mighty 3" snowfall. As much fun with Photoshop as with the trains this morning. Happy January, y'all.
  2. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

Today we got a good head start on the benchwork along the west wall with its folding bridge. The bridge will go across where the 1x2 structure is currently just laid on top, and will fold downward. There will be diagonal cantilever braces under the benchwork. No nails, it's all screwed...
  3. Dan Lawler

3D printing

I'm considering getting a 3D printer. What are sources of ready to use model railroad software are available to print things like car bodies, detail parts, trackside structures, etc.? I can't see myself developing the CAD skills needed to design my own. 🤔
  4. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

Using fifty year old lumber for anything is an interesting exercise. After a half century in Arizona climate it is as dry as the proverbial popcorn fart. The shelves are way overbuilt, but they are strong and will probably outlive me. This pic is looking along the room's north wall. Tomorrow...
  5. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

Well, the shelf is actually way overbuilt, but I have a bunch of these old 2x4s so I will push on using them. New 2x4 studs are over eight bucks apiece in my town! This is my 180 lb kid hanging on it.
  6. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

No, but I'm quite sure I could sit on it! 😉
  7. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

The general consensus seemed to be that 1x2s were just too light. My son and I spent time today setting up the first of similar shelves, but using 2x4s instead of 1x2s. I have some used 2x4s, so why not use them. I'm going to put 1/4 ply under 1" foamboard on top. Here's a quick pic. I'll...
  8. Dan Lawler

This didn't work well

I pent time today setting up the first of similar shelves, but using 2x4s instead of 1x2s. I have over 30 old ratty-looking used 2x4s, so why not use them. Here's a quick pic. I'm going to post some pics after I get some more of it up. Going to put 1/4 ply under 1" foamboard on top.
  9. Dan Lawler

Best model train scale if you have a cat?

Kitties get bored, and a train of any scale is entertainment for them. This was two minutes after I set up a little oval test track.
  10. Dan Lawler

This didn't work well

I want to share something that did not work too well. This was an experiment using actual garden dirt, sieved through a fine mesh to keep the particle sizes small, and glued down with a heavy soaking of hairspray. Now I'm finding great chunks of it not staying adhered. Next time I'll try...
  11. Dan Lawler

Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Good for you, Bruette.
  12. Dan Lawler

Model Engineering weathered track

I want to strip only the top surface of the rails.
  13. Dan Lawler

Model Engineering weathered track

So supposedly t's possible to strip the "weathering" from the very top of the ME rails with some sort of acid. Can anyone tell me where to get it, and how to use it? Thanks. ~Dan
  14. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

Is this just rail or a track assembly with ties?
  15. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

What does "ME" stand for? That rail looks good.
  16. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

Prototype rail rusts. I wonder if there is a chemical process that would speed up putting a thin coat of real rust on steel HO rail. There must be an industrial process that would then polish the rail tops. Once laid I think metal wheel trucks would keep them polished. I would consider...
  17. Dan Lawler

Shelf mounted

I'm soliciting opinions about benchwork. Perhaps because of my model airplane background I have learned to build light. I'm wondering if this concept is too light for an HO layout. This picture is of a temporary shelf, set up at the height I plan to build my model layout. The structure is...
  18. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

I wish one of the major manufacturers of HO track would produce code 100 and code 83 flextrack with that steel(ish) rail. I think if they play with the metallurgy they can get it flexible enough. If I'm really dreamin' I could stand to see the sides of the rails pre-painted too.
  19. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

Our British friends do suffer with incorrect rail spacing for their "Double O" scale. I can see why they would want to make it appear more prototypical but their tie (sleeper) spacing that "looks better" for OO is too wide for us in HO. Give me a minute and I'll find another nit to pick.
  20. Dan Lawler

Nickle silver rail color

I guess Amber is a good description of the color. Isn't it interesting how differently folks see the color. For those of us like me the amber color stands out clearly, yet other people of good intentions and apparently normal eyes don't see the color. Lighting has a great deal to do with it...

Back