Search results

1. G

Techniques for Painting/weathering Wooden Loading Dock

I assembled a wooden loading dock a while back and I’ve begun to do research on painting and weathering it. One technique I’ve found is to spray paint the dock black and then use various brown and gray powders to weather it. Has anybody tried this technique before? Any other methods you...
  2. G

Walthers Oil Loading Platform Modification Help

I’m looking to utilize the Walthers oil loading platform kit as both a loading and unloading facility. Has anyone made modifications to this kit for unloading or have any suggestions on how I can go about it? I’m modeling 1960s with a single track unloading one tank car at a time. Thanks in...
  3. G

How Would I Go About Designing The Road Markings For This Intersection?

I have tried to find examples online of intersections similar to mine but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. Does anybody know the best way to design the road markings for this intersection? I would like to include a parallel parking spot for my store and markings for the tracks...
  4. G

Why Is My Manual Ground Throw Squeaking After Applying Ballast?

Question says it all…I applied some ballast around a turnout with a Caboose Industries manual ground throw, being careful to not get much ballast and glue around the mechanism. After it began to dry, the ground throw itself is now squeaking. What would cause this? Can I oil it somehow?
  5. G

Applying Woodland Scenics Road Building Kit Smooth-It to Craft Foam

I am looking to apply the Woodland Scenics Smooth-It to my layout soon but I am not sure it can be applied to craft foam successfully. I have applied it to insulation foam board previously with success. Has anybody used the Smooth-It material on craft foam before?
  6. G

Can I use Lionel Gear Lube and Grease for my HO Scale Atlas Alco S2 Loco?

Question says it all. I want to grease and lube my Alco S2 locomotive but I wasn’t sure if I could use some Lionel gear lube and oil that I have already or if I should purchase something different.
  7. G

Need Information on Properly Wiring My Layout

I will be starting track work soon on my 1 ft x 6.5 ft HO scale shelf switching layout and need some help with understanding the difference in wiring gauges and which is best for my setup. I lack knowledge in this area and could use some help. Here is a basic schematic showing how many feeders I...
  8. G

Connecting Layout Track Using DIY Barrel Bolt Technique - Recommended Materials & Soldering Techniques.

For my portable 1’ x 6.5’ shelf layout, I am considering joining the tracks using a DIY barrel bolt technique found here: https://modelrailwayengineer.com/joining-track-across-boards/#comments I plan to just use brass tubes and rods simply for locking the tracks together and not for electrical...
  9. G

Grain Boxcars in the 1950s

For the current switching layout I’m building, I plan to model in the 1950s and 60s. This is an era I’ve never modeled before. Were any specific boxcars used for grain transport or were their design characteristics specific to their use such as extra hatches or anything like that? I did learn...
  10. G

Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

Hello Everyone! Model railroading had been put aside the last few months except for some minor Lionel train set work. Last week I received an email inviting me to exhibit a layout at a local train show! This brought back some motivation to build another layout:) Now…since my n scale layout...
  11. G

Lionel Smoke Fluids

Has anyone used JTs Mega-Steam scented smoke fluids for Lionel locomotives? They have a coal-fired steam scent that sounds amazing! Here’s the Amazon product link: JT's Mega-Steam Coal Fired Steam Smoke Fluid https://a.co/d/dZAVjCm
  12. G

Need Help With Information on Lionel Train Set

I acquired a Lionel train set today from Facebook marketplace! It was only $45! I know very little about Lionel sets and O Gauge. The gentleman I purchased the set from didn’t have the box or instruction manual and couldn’t remember the name of the set since he bought it so many years ago. My...
  13. G

My New N Scale Project

With the "completion" of my micro-layout and an attempt (if you want to call it that) of an HO scale project, I decided to continue with N scale as I'm already well-equipped to do so! That being said...I have an idea for a shelf switching layout I'd like to share with you. This is modeled off of...
  14. G

New Layout Build

Hello Fellow Modelers! Many of you know me from my N Scale Micro-Layout thread. I have decided to build an HO Scale shelf layout as my next build. This build will most likely happen over a longer period of time despite it being a small layout. If only my boss would understand my need to model...
  15. G

Real World Turnout Replacement

I work at a wholesale grocery supplier as a truck driver. It’s a very large warehouse that used to be served by rail back several years ago. Two weeks ago, CSX replaced the turnout. My question is…is there an advantage to replacing the turnout vs. just replacing with a straight section? I...
  16. G

Techniques for Weathering Gravel Parking Lots

I’m currently working on some gravel parking lots using Woodland Scenics fine gravel. I’d like to weather these lots as the gravel is just too “clean”. What are some recommended methods for doing this?
  17. G

Static Grass Worth It For N Scale Layouts?

I recently posted a thread asking about layering spray alternatives for static grass but shortly after that, I realized that perhaps even the 2 mm static grass available might not look that great…I read posts from other forums of modelers who tried it on their N scale layout’s and ended up just...
  18. G

Alternatives to WWScenics Static Grass Layering Spray

I’ve read online that WWScenics layering spray is a fantastic product to layer static grass. From what I’ve seen online, this product is only available from the UK with international shipping. I’m okay with paying the price and waiting on the item to arrive but before I order it, are there any...
  19. G

Crossing Bucks vs. Crossing Signals, Which Should I Use?

I wasn’t sure the best place to post my question so I figured the general discussion section would be best. On my micro-layout, I have an industrial boulevard that has three tracks pretty much parallel to one another. Two of the tracks serve industries, while the other is the main line. What...
  20. G

Question Regarding Applying Decals onto Structures

I’m looking to apply some Gold Medal Model’s decals to the store fronts of some of my structures. I’d like to apply them directly to the clear window panes that came with the structures. The package recommends using Solvaset decal setting solution to adhere them tightly. Will this solution work...

Back