Search results

1. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

The 4-4-0 makes it's way around the highline trestle, over the newly completed waterfall and creek. The trestle is all hand made and painted, installed into the mountain using plaster and then painted over. The water effects below are done with a mix of dyes and Woodland Scenics water effects...
  2. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Another smaller update, traded in my Shay for a 4-4-0 classic American and gave it a fresh paint over and weathering and wood tender load. Next up is doing static grass application and more panel work, as well as starting the heavy lifting on the 3rd main panel and 4th end panel. Also finished a...
  3. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Been a while since the last update, the second module is more or less done. Decided to do a scenary first approach since I already know my track plan. One problem I've yet to solve is how to connect the modules track wise - perhaps running a wire between tracks is the easiest approach? But I...
  4. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

The second panel is coming together. This will consist of the switch to go to the main double engine house and coal loading tower. Phone poles will be coming in soon. The retaining walls have also been painted and installed on the lower track line. Extra trees will be filling in the hillside...
  5. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Need a custom retaining wall? How about some balsa wood, chopsticks, and cutting up a foam grade crossing and gluing it all together to make a wall vertically? (Note, the brown wall is an actual model that turned out to be too thick for my sliver of space on the side. So I used that as a...
  6. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Thank you! The whole point of this build was to finish it quickly (within a year). I didn't want to have one of those never ending layouts that never seems to be done. Something functional and small fits my needs for now, and the first panel is almost done! Next will be the hardest part - the...
  7. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Updated other side of the mountain where the engine house and pine trees are going to go. Ground cover and rocks have been painted with initial bushes and grass added as well. Might start looking at the next module over now and doing more ground cover/tree work and start building the track plan...
  8. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Thanks! That's a Woodland Scenics pre-made fence you can get for $20. I thought of making my own, but they have some great products I couldn't pass up! Prepainted and weathered and everything. Hard to beat for that price and convenience.
  9. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Just a picture update, painted some trees and looking to get them on the layout soon enough. Next step, creating the tunnel roof, and finishing the front of the mountain's coloring after more plastering.
  10. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

I did some YouTube research and found that simple acrylics mixed in water seemed the easiest to first put on. So I experimented with mixing different grays, and I have 3 different rock colors I'm using. I'm still unsure if it was worth it to do the base coat with a wash - while it produced a...
  11. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Ha! Thank you. I actually have a Bob Ross paint kit that I've ignored for a year so far..might be time to bring that out!
  12. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Added highlights to the rock faces which has helped bring them to life. They turned out to be more gray than originally planned but I think I like the effect. Next is finishing the highline and then working on the other side, which will be a small pond under the trestle (which I'll have to...
  13. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Yeah, 4% was a necessary evil to get the size of the layout I wanted with the double loop. It might even peak 4% past in some areas. I'll be having short trains anyway due to the shorter size of the layout so that doesn't bother me, 3 cars max. Maybe if I get a double header using DCC I could...
  14. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Honestly just going down to the craft store and getting earth tones and grays. I've been experimenting with a mix of browns and blacks, I actually would like a much lighter color when I'm done
  15. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Thanks! The mountain is actually just awaiting another coat of paint and brush to be applied to it. I have a couple layers of acrylic wash to do, the issue was with my sub-par sculpting, I left lots of gaps difficult to reach with a standard brush, so I had to come back and do some indoor spray...
  16. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Hi all, Things are finally starting to look like a proper railroad now. Grass tuft going in and painting has started on the rock face. I've found it a learning process with the rock molds, I managed to get a good technique going on the upper mountain, the one in front is a little rough texture...
  17. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Thanks! Some updates here, after a major rock mold and plaster push, we're almost ready to get to rock painting on the main mountain side. With DCC on the engines hopefully there will be a point in the future to get a double train loop going at the same time.
  18. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Get started on the digital track design first would be my recommendation. And searching on30 layouts on YouTube. Lots of inspiration I'm pulling from to create my own layout. Good luck!
  19. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Thanks! Should be another month of sculptamold and rock work and track leveling to be done. Then comes a test run and ballasting.
  20. BayHighRY

New On30 Track Plan

Track has been laid and scultamold and rock ceramic mold has begun, along with locomotive weathering and stock car weathering.

Back