Search results

1. P

AHM freight Cars

Good quality or not, do beware most if not all, AHM locos and cars will have un-realistic 'horn hook' couplers, not knuckle couplers,..and might even be talgo type (truck mounted) to boot, poor for switching moves..They may also have one piece plastic wheel/axle sets as opposed to having...
  2. P

Deleted / irrelivent to trains

Changed my mind on this thread
  3. P

Model Railroad Crisis!

I've a feeling hobby burnout is more common now with the advent of the very thing I'm talking to you with; the internet.. In the old days we had to wait a month for the new Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman magazine to come out in order to get most MRR pix, how-tos, ads, reviews, and...
  4. P

Best way to lay Kato Unitrack

Though I don't care for the Uni-track systems that do exist, I don't think it's fair to claim they are "meant to be temporary" any more than standard sectional track (without simulated ballast) is..Yes, they can be unplugged and put away if one wants.. But there are many many examples of...
  5. P

DCC and Automatic Reverse Circuit

What about a very narrow double track system with very sharp balloon curves on each end..You'd still reverse direction but without any special electronics...
  6. P

What is the diff between Bachmann E-Z Track colors ?

Have used Atlas 83 flex for decades.. Just curious what was going on with Bmann Uni as I do like steel but not code 100.. Thanks for clarification..
  7. P

What is the diff between Bachmann E-Z Track colors ?

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between gray ballasted and black ballasted Bmann EZ track ? Is the black is code 100 and the gray code 83 ? Also, is the gray steel rail ?
  8. P

Rail industries through the years

The way the pic above is taken, or at least, framed, caused me to think I was looking at the end of the car..(should have noticed the flooring). Thus I guess I never did in past see a box car open at its end, like I'd thought..Or, maybe I did, but was more modern 1960s-70s or later.
  9. P

I KNEW IT !! I knew I'd seen earlier box cars which open at the ends for auto-loading ! Went looking all over for an example for OP, yesterday, but couldn't find one. Then, WHAM !! Here it is next day !!!
  10. P

Completely uninformed newbie asking for help

Nonsense !! I should have let it go...😁
  11. P

Thanks, but wasn't necessary... :)
  12. P

VTR, if, IF you are going to have 2-4, 3 foot flex pieces forming a huge curve, lay them out straight first, and solder them end to end including rail joiners..This way when you do go to curve them there will be no kinks in the curve...You also need Xuron Rail Nippers to clip off excess rail...
  13. P

Smudge, it's PowrCab, not PowerCab....I wanted to imply I was in NCE control, but at same time not wanting to steal the full word....
  14. P

When you say "tinderbox" I believe you mean "tender", the car behind a steam loco which 'tends' to the engine by carrying its coal, oil, or wood that it burns in its firebox, plus carries water for its boiler..IE. the 'tender', not tinderbox... Some also call it the "coal car".. If you don't...
  15. P

New Locomotive Question

If under warantee, send it to Bachmann repair Dept... I think it's $60 if not under warantee.. Certain situations they may send you a completely new loco instead of repair..... Go online to "Bachmann Trains"..It's all there...
  16. P

VTRailway, you certainly have asked for and now certainly have gotten ALL the answers for !!! :eek: ..... Now what ?
  17. P

Design a main line you'd like to see your trains traverse..Don't worry about 100% realism.. You're new to it... If it's an oval of some kind merely add switch tracks here and there with spurs to anything you'd like, such as a lumber yard, a cannery, a dairy, a piano factory...Obviously cars are...
  18. P

Will two G scale oval track layouts fit in a 6 x 8ft table?

If you're set on G scale why not lay it out on the floor and measure the space it takes to do what you're planning... Better yet, why not skip the table idea all together and build a shelf layout around the walls. 12"-15" deep would be plenty enough for a double track plan and reach-ability...
  19. P

Tip for Sectional-Track visual improvement

Sectional track has the extra webbing between the first tie and the second tie in, on both ends..This lends an unrealistic boxy look to the ties on the ends of each section after track is in place... Take a blade and slice off the end ties of each section plus the connective plastic to the 2nd...
  20. P

Side-Frame Pin Repair

Does this mean you're not passing on my tiny screw idea ?! Because, all seriousness aside, I do think that's the ticket to ride....

Back