Search results

1. D

Never built a hydrocal kit before? Today is the day.

Clark Kooning put together this great tutorial for all hydrocal first timers. He walks you through step by step, holding your hand along the way. I want people who have never tried one of our kits before to take the plunge, so here's a special offer. Place any order over $75 (HO, N or O...
  2. D

New large warehouse kit.

After a year and half of delay due to pandemic issues, Ramones Storage & Salvage is finally shipping. One part "American Pickers", one part "Hoarders", this would be the perfect place to display & get rid of all of the junk you've collected over the years. :) Kit includes beautifully detailed...
  3. D

Ramones Storage & Salvage.

New from Downtown Deco. Ramones Storage & Salvage. HO Scale. One part "American Pickers", one part "Hoarders". This building would be the perfect place to stash all of the odds and ends of junk you've collected over the years into one, coherent scene. You get everything shown but the figures &...
  4. D

Painting details/clutter/junk tutorial.

Here is the tutorial for our new hydrocal detail castings. We're also running a special on this 60 piece set. Buy 2 sets and I'll send a 3rd set no charge. At the end of this tutorial I'll post the ordering info. I started by spray painting the box castings flat tan, the junk piles w/dark gray...
  5. D

New hydrocal kit.

Ever wanted to try a hydrocal kit but were afraid you'd screw it up? Here's your chance to dip your toe in without risking too much. Here's the special. Pick up one of our new "Lindsey's Groceries" kits today and not only will we also throw in an a 2nd, alternative sign set but we'll also throw...
  6. D

Von Eerie's Family Resturant by Downtown Deco

I'm scrambling to get these pilot models done for a catalog deadline. Ladies and gentlemen, I present "Von Eerie's Family Restaurant". I have to finish the roof details but this will give you the general idea. This will be available in HO, N & O scales. Check out the menu in the front windows. ...
  7. D

Downtown Deco Downtown Overlook Hotel pilot model.

The HO Scale Downtown Overlook pilot model is finished. The ducting on the roof is cast as one piece for simplicity. I'll do an official photo shoot in a few days but i thought you'd guys would like to see finished pilot on the workbench. As always, the master patterns are carved one brick at a...
  8. D

Sneak peek at some new Downtown Deco kits coming soon.

But just a peek. 3 new kits on the way. More pics in a few days when the pilot models are finished.
  9. D

The Atomic Cafe

This will be shipping in 2 or 3 weeks. I put a lot of time into the pattern work & I'm really happy with the way this one came out. It will retail at under $50. Super simple construction, devastatingly realistic. Questions? Cheers! Randy Pepprock Downtown Deco www.downtowndeco.com...
  10. D

Possibly the worst looking block of stores you'll ever see.

This is the pilot model of our next HO kit. I hope to start shipping in 3 weeks or so. It's called, "Gone Bust Block". Change the signs a bit & it'll pretty much fit in any era. [/URL] [/URL] [/URL] [/URL] Randy Pepprock www.downtowndeco.com
  11. D

Article in local paper on model railroading.

Our local alternative weekly paper did a nice article on model railroading & craftsman kits. I even got my mug on the cover. I figure any press on model railroading is good press so I'll take it. Hope you like it...
  12. D

New Downtown Deco structure WIP.

Here are some pics of the pilot model which is under construction. It will get a laser cut wood facade. The blacked in windows get laser cut "boarded up" inserts. I've listed a few sets of the raw castings on ebay for those that want to get a head start. Randy Pepprock...
  13. D

Sam Syzdek diorama.

Sam sent these pictures in to me of a dio he built using our kits. Looking good! The train in the background is a real train. Special offer to all of our forum friends. Order any two kits before Midnight tomorrow (5/31) and receive a 3rd kit of equal or lesser value to the least...
  14. D

Some new old brick buildings from Downtown Deco

Sorry it took so long but these are finally ready to ship. I'm offering a free bonus kit for a limited time as well. I'm really happy with the way the brick turned out & the laser cut parts are extra sharp as well. The unpainted model is the N Scale version, the other shots are of the HO pilot...
  15. D

New hydrocal kits are shipping.

The first ones left the shop today. They have all of the great detail that hydrocal kits can offer plus super simple construction. Wouldn't one or two of these look great tucked in next to the laser cut wood structures on your layout? : ) I'm hoping to update the site in the next...
  16. D

Twins. : )

Just for fun I did one in HO & one in O Scale. : ) I think I got them pretty close. HO Scale; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downtown-Deco-HO-Scale-One-of-a-kind-signed-model-built-by-Randy-Pepprock-FSM-/400314719693?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5d349dddcd O Scale...
  17. D

So this hobby shop calls with a problem...

OK, so you guys know I have a policy to always replace damaged parts no matter what the reason or how they got damaged. I'm glad to do that, & I mean it too, I never want anyone to be afraid of buying a hydrocal kit because they're afraid it might arrive broken or that they may accidently break...
  18. D

How to assemble, paint & weather your first hydrocal kit.

A while back I wrote a tutorial on assembling hydrocal kits and while it got good response I still feel that there is a sense of trepidation or hesitation from some modelers who may still be intimidated by a plaster kit. Stop it already! : ) It's a couple of pieces of plaster and some plastic...
  19. D

Hydrocal. To primer or not.

People ask me this all the time so I thought it would be a good idea post my basic thoughts on this subject. I always recommend at least “sort of” sealing plaster castings to remove some of the porosity. Perhaps “priming” would be even a better word than sealing. I use flat white spray paint...
  20. D

First Timer Bar

Here is the O scale pilot model. Will reshoot it in a proper diorama but just wanted to post the progress. This will be avialbale in HO & N as well, with special pricing on the initial release. This kit is for every guy who ever said he wanted to try a hydrocal kit but has put it off up until...

Back