Search results

1. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

I don't know...I think there was one of the box or something. A even better answer would be the guy that built it thought it looked cool.....
  2. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Well that's pretty much it. Now that I'm beginning college I'm not sure how much work well be completed in the upcoming months....or years. But the other guys that I'm working with have started air brushing their rolling stock and locomotives, forgot to take pictures before I left, but they are...
  3. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

So pretty much that's it. As you can see not much was done. We did rip up and relay track in a few different areas on the layout, just because it was too tricky to have fun operating, or cause I looked at it and didn't like it for some reason. The roundhouse and backshop remain untouched...
  4. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

I did manage to work on some scenery in the past year. I focused my attention to the large mountain in the corner of the layout. But before adding any trees ballasted the track running around the corner. Then I started adding trees, which are made out of poly fiber puff balls More...
  5. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

One of the guys was really interested in running refers for some reason. So I told him if he built the icing station I would lay the siding for it to go on.... The siding, a little bridge to add interest. The icing station People hard at work.
  6. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

I know its been over a year since I made my last post. Things on the railroad have been moving along...somewhat. Since all the track is in place we normally end up running trains more so than working on scenery. With in the last year, we added a few new industries to the railroad. We...
  7. Walschaerts

Weekend Photo Fun 8-29/9-1

I made some coal loads out of pink foam... Cut and fitted the foam into the hopper... Shaped the foam, painted it black and covered the paint with WS cinders.... Here is the completed product on the layout.....
  8. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Got around to covering the mountain with plaster... Tunnel portal and retaining wall in place....I finished off the sides of the portal with plaster..... My new GP-7 pulling a coal train through the newly installed tunnel portal....
  9. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

A few of you where concerned about the track curving along the edge of the layout, well we cut a strip of plywood and screwed it to the layout. This is not the finished product yet. We plan on cutting the wood to the dips and hills of scenery when we get to this part of the layout...
  10. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Next: glue the strips onto the layout Some of the strips are used to finish off the mountain/ tunnel in the corner of the layout. They will also be used to make the hill running behind the mine and the mine yard. Cardboard netting behind coal mine yard. Reading though the forums...
  11. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Tonight's goal: Cut cardboard strips Well since its a holiday weekend the we decided not to get together this weekend, but of course progress does not stop on the Ralston Midland! Enlisting the help of my brother we cut around 70 strips of cardboard.....fun huh? One of my friends who...
  12. Walschaerts

Video

Thanks, Yeah, I really don't know exactly what I wanna do with my life yet. But I do know I would like to stay on the mechanical side of things....I don't know.....Oh, one thing I do know, I will NOT work for a class one railroad.
  13. Walschaerts

Video

Haha....I did all the talking and operating:D (my younger brother filmed it). I didn't turn it in yet, I'm a senior this up coming school year so its due for me in May. Just wanted to get part of it out of the way.....
  14. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Since my dad was away we fired up his saw and made a few strips of wood to cover up the exposed edge of foam. We liked how it looked and plan on "dressing up" the edge of the whole layout in the near future. The strips where cut out of the other side of the 4X8 that made up the part of...
  15. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Last Saturday's goal, clean up the tangle mess of wires.... Turntable control box Wiring behind control box. The blue power pack on the leg of the benchwork provides power to the table. MRC Prodigy Advance Main feed wires, wish I had a staple gun so i could attach...
  16. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Yeah, we're actually working on the edge of the layout Wednesday night. We're going to basically build a wall in that area, and have all the scenery slope down towards the grade/track. Nothing special, just a plywood strip to make the edge of the bench work look a little neater.
  17. Walschaerts

Video

Thanks, yeah I like being able to wake up and being like "mom lets go to Strasburg", and in 20 mins I'm there...and surrounded by steam.:D
  18. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

yeah basically I got tired of cutting strips of cardboard so I kinda just stopped there when I ran out....so its not done yet:rolleyes: There are 3 of us in the group, well 4 but he doesn't show up that much because his job has him on the run most nights. I'm the youngest at 16 and the...
  19. Walschaerts

Video

Part of my high school graduation project Im working on. http://youtube.com/watch?v=eN8tofF_Des Take a ride with me on a 15 inch scale live steam locomotive. I do some explaining through out the video so I'm sorry if i dumb down the content a little (remember i have to show this to high...
  20. Walschaerts

The Ralston Midland

Well, believe it or not, that's it. That's 4 months of working on the Ralston Midland. It seems like just yesterday I was drawing the plans in math class. Besides working on the layout I tried my hand at lettering my own locomotive, I guess its good for a first timer, but I'm the kinda kid that...

Back