Search results

1. MilwRoader_Steve

Q about caboose lights

Seems to be a new fad thing about lighting Cabeese. My question is about Prototype ops: Would a caboose in operation on the rails, either short haul or long haul, have any interior lights on? Wouldn't the conductor rather keep it dark so he could view the train from the cupola? Steve J...
  2. MilwRoader_Steve

Mini chucks

Bought a set of mini chucks from AMazon and am very happy. Here is a pic of one that has a hex shank for use with screw guns like my B&D pictured. The low speed and weight of that screw gun made control of the process quite easy. The set I got had two hex shank chucks and two straight for...
  3. MilwRoader_Steve

HO scale Grain Elevator 1930s-50s

Greetings all! I would be glad of your recommendations for a grain elevator. The scene will be upper Midwest, isolated spur off the main, no 'local' close by to work. So that that a through freight (vocab?) will have to stop and change out cars when needed. I am of course, short on land...
  4. MilwRoader_Steve

Caboose groundthrows and Micro Engineering TOs

Has anybody used the Caboose groundthrows with ME C70 TOs? I tried the 202S - pin too big. Drilling out the throwbar of the TO broke through. So I got the 218S with selectable end fittings to fit various manufacturers including ME. The pin is still too big. How have others done this, may...
  5. MilwRoader_Steve

Atlas Masterline Alco S-2 ESU sound equipped

Greetings all, oddball request! I am looking for pictures of the circuit board connections for the subject locomotive. I recently acquired one and suspect that one or more of the wiring connections either slipped loose or were deliberately moved. If you have one of these and are willing to...
  6. MilwRoader_Steve

Maybe a bad decoder?

Greetings all - Bought an Atlas Masterline Silver Alco S-2 at a show, Sat. SUpposedly DCC ESU equipped. Took it to a club display and they were nice to trial it for me. Would not run DCC on addresses 03 or cab number. Did run on the DC track. Had the correct Digitrax DZ126PS decoder that...
  7. MilwRoader_Steve

BLI 4-6-2 derails

Greetings all, HO newbie here. I have a BLI 4-6-2 which does not operate well. https://www.broadway-limited.com/5918lightpacific4-6-2gn1384glaciergreenparagon3sounddcdcchonp.aspx I have the Micro Engineering Code 70 yard ladder system with #5 TOs. The loco: 1) Does not like the...
  8. MilwRoader_Steve

Life Like Oscar Mayer reefer car HO

LHS has a Life Like Oscar Mayer refrigerator car for $6. Any opinions on the quality and what would be needed to bring it up to date? What child of the 60s wouldn't want an Oscar Mayer car?
  9. MilwRoader_Steve

Mounting Circuit Boards under the layout

Greetings helpful collective wisdom minds! Hopefully Friday, I will begin some more electrical work for my Uff Da Line HO layout. To that end I plan to: -- Install and wire a PSX Electronic Circuit Breaker Board. -- Wire up a 16 VDC 5A power supply for the electromagnet uncouplers. --...
  10. MilwRoader_Steve

ME Code 70 Turnout Problem - H E L P !

So this ... Yep, the non-affixed frog rail came out and apparently I broke off some of the spikes which keep it secured to the ties. Rats! What to do?? Would you A) Rip it out and replace the TO (I do have another that is yet to be installed. LHS ***may*** have one in stock to...
  11. MilwRoader_Steve

PSX-2

Greetings all, Does anyone here use the DCC Concepts Power Shield Circuit Breakers? I bought the PSX-2 (2 independent CBs). I see the manual suggesting that I use the Digitrax option, which changes the addresses that the user can establish for the CB. Do you use the accessory addresses...
  12. MilwRoader_Steve

Tapering the thickness of WS foam roadbed

Greetings all, For you WS foam roadbed users: My recently completed turntable sits lower than the standard thickness of the foam roadbed so that the Code 70 (HO) tracks will be higher than the bridge track of the TT. How best to taper that thickness? Or better to cut slightly into the foam...
  13. MilwRoader_Steve

Best place to buy electronic parts?

I'd be glad of recommendations for the various electronic parts needed for a layout. Things like: SPST/DPDT toggles Momentary PB switches Wire Connector (suitcase/tee) And much of the other stuff we used to be able to go to Radio Shack and get. Thanks all, --------Steve
  14. MilwRoader_Steve

250 ma load and 3A supply - is it okay?

I know, a stupid question: Walthers New turntables. They give a range of power supplies in either VAC or VDC. That, I'm okay with. They want 250ma, I assume that is a max? So, Can I power this from a 18VDC common supply that is rated for 3+ amps? I'm also putting in some Kadee...
  15. MilwRoader_Steve

The Uffington and Davis Railroad (The Uff Da Line)

Greetings all, Been a busy week, but hereby submitted two track plan ideas. I would appreciate your review comments and suggestions. 1. HO, DCC, Mostly solo ops, 1930s - 50s era. I want continuous loop ops plus some interesting switching. Anyrail track planner. 18 inch minimum radius...
  16. MilwRoader_Steve

Digitrax Firmware updates

Any Digitrax users out there? I bought my Zephyr in December 2020, and my DT602 in January. I understand that there are firmware updates available. My question is, how big a PITA is the updates? At least the new Zephyr have the USB port built in.
  17. MilwRoader_Steve

insulfrog and stock --> closure jumper

Greetings all! New guy here, and I did a search but did not find the answer to my specific question: HO scale; DCC I've been buying PECO Insulfrog TOs but do not have them installed yet. I checked them with a multi-meter and the adjacent stock and closure rails are not jumpered/connected...
  18. MilwRoader_Steve

New HO guy

Greetings to all, Checking in here with the HO forum as that will be my focus. I hope to have some nice experiences and learn much from this group. My intro details are on the Intro forum, if you are interested. See ya round the water cooler! Steve
  19. MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings from Minnesota!

Greetings all! I'm Steve and new to the hobby. Dabbled a little back in the 90s as my Father-in-law was building a large HO layout (which he never finished, but how many do?!), but consider my self the newest of newbies. Still learning and I am ***hoping*** this is a good teaching/asking...

Back