Search results

1. MilwRoader_Steve

First attempt at custom box car

Quite nice - - RL must have you as a micro-surgeon or a putter-together-of-microchips. Always nice to see fellow "Snow-tans" here, though you must be pretty far north from me in the cities where we have no snow and I played golf last week!
  2. MilwRoader_Steve

Quick, hopefully easy question….

Quick, easy answer - - - but not fact checked. If memory serves, the power supply for a UP-7 is only to charge throttles which have rechargeable batteries. So, the answer depends of whether or not you plan to use rechargeable throttles. I have the DT-602, but do not use batteries, so my...
  3. MilwRoader_Steve

Cleaning / DUSTING one's Layout

Do Swiffers and the like leave a residue?
  4. MilwRoader_Steve

HP and Sackville Railroad

hang in there Gary - if I can do it, you can too. Play around with the program and learn it's quirks. I like anyrail. Oh, there's a few things I'd like better but works nice bringing in the track items from manufacturers and whatnot.
  5. MilwRoader_Steve

Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

We spent a year in Philadelphia Ship Yard 83-84. I remember a steak shop on the yard called, "Blind Man's." Was mighty tasty to this young Texan know-nothing!
  6. MilwRoader_Steve

Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Greetings and Merry CHristmas to all! Hi gents, just popping in to let you know a). still alive; b). still meddling in the hobby; c). still quite busy in RL; d). to wish all the very best of Christmas and New Year's greetings. We got the tree up this past Saturday. and the battery...
  7. MilwRoader_Steve

Q about caboose lights

Interesting. So am I correct in summarizing the consensus that underway lights in a caboose is not prototypical? Of course, not that much else is on MY railroad!
  8. MilwRoader_Steve

Building My First Layout

You are off to a great start! It is always nice to see another vet (11 years USN here). Have Fun! Steve J
  9. MilwRoader_Steve

Grain Boxcars in the 1950s

Fascinating video SFW!!! Learned so much. Thanks!!
  10. MilwRoader_Steve

Q about caboose lights

Seems to be a new fad thing about lighting Cabeese. My question is about Prototype ops: Would a caboose in operation on the rails, either short haul or long haul, have any interior lights on? Wouldn't the conductor rather keep it dark so he could view the train from the cupola? Steve J...
  11. MilwRoader_Steve

A railroad book thread

The Hook Runyon Series: https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Dog-Mystery-Hook-Runyon-ebook/dp/B002LA0APC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6YE5R4I2ZTSU&keywords=the+yard+dog+sheldon+russell&qid=1700240426&s=movies-tv&sprefix=the+yard+dog+%2Cmovies-tv%2C125&sr=1-1 By Sheldon Russell. Fun to read mysteries about Hook...
  12. MilwRoader_Steve

Which DCC Manufacturer is your favorite?

Digitrax DCS52 Zephyr user here. LHS and closest club were Digitrax so went that way. LHS has since closed and never joined the club. Still, I like my system and should be plenty of power and capability for what I have going. Steve J
  13. MilwRoader_Steve

Cordless power tools

I like the Ridgid brand from Home Despot for cordless and corded tools. I bought a inexpensive sliding compound miter saw off Amazon, and regret it. But I don't use it often enough to warrant replacing it. For the layout, I got a Black and Decker cordless screwdriver which is quite nice for...
  14. MilwRoader_Steve

New to this hobby

Welcome! I am a fairly recent convert as well. I have found this forum to be very helpful, encouraging, and supportive. Lots of wise and experienced hands out there who have made mistakes and can now help us newbies avoid them. I will say this, though. Before you just build the 4x8...
  15. MilwRoader_Steve

The Uffington and Davis Railroad (The Uff Da Line)

Really need to finish up the layout. Here is my latest thoughts on the inside the loop tracks. This gives me a runaround and means to sort and move cars south without going in head first. Just seems like a bunch of track in a small space. I do welcome all your thoughts! All the yard...
  16. MilwRoader_Steve

Dave's Layout v. 4.0

Great news Dave - - always nice to hear that the local boys are doing okay! I'm still plugging along at the church in RObbinsdale. The wifeykins is rocking it, however. Maybe a promotion in the near future for her. I got burned out on a tough layout project last winter into spring trying to...
  17. MilwRoader_Steve

Noob with an Inglehook

Welcome to the group! And the madness! I firmly applaud your getting feet wet with the shelf(ish) Inglenook. I looked long and hard at the Highland Terminal when in planning mode. Still thinking about how to incorporate it into my layout as my 'inside the loop' is not yet complete. This...
  18. MilwRoader_Steve

The Uffington and Davis Railroad (The Uff Da Line)

Greetings all! It has been much too long, but want you to know I am still in the hobby. I got really bogged down winter into spring on a project to automate the turnouts for the yard and its entries. The project became 'too much' and I backed away from the Rr for a few months. But am...
  19. MilwRoader_Steve

Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

Great to see this SFW! Please keep on posting! Steve J
  20. MilwRoader_Steve

Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Greetings all, Up early on a Saturday morning because I have to work. I'll let you guess as to what I put my hand this morning. I bought a book in Kalmbach's recent sale: "The Railroading Handbook" by Jeff Wilson https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/01318 It is GREAT!! I am...

Back