Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. MOWboss

handlaid versus off the shelf turnout?

A Kadee spiker would move you along. Not sure if they were made for N scale.
  2. MOWboss

Any dedicated car ideas?

Once your iron ore cars arrive at the furnace how are they broken down? Is there a dedicated (there's that word again) on site switcher to perform the unloading process or is the ore train a "dump and run" procedure? I think what I'm asking for is those scenarios where a rr work function isn't...
  3. MOWboss

Any dedicated car ideas?

Wow - never expected this to be so intense. dave 1905. Thanks for your tutorial. I'll put you down as a NO for a dedicated car scenario... Not really the direction I was hoping for. Many don't have a RR empire that can support or justify an order system. Perhaps looking back I should have titled...
  4. MOWboss

Any dedicated car ideas?

Good frustration having to move that partial car. I'm always interested to learn about "satellite" industries. Never considered spent grain going to an animal feed industry.. I'm curious, how do you determine the car is half loaded? Is it a spur of the moment idea or do you have some way to...
  5. MOWboss

Any dedicated car ideas?

Anyone have a daily, no matter what, dedicated car scenario?. Looking for ideas about that one car that causes headaches for the train crew when they're making their run. Here's a couple of examples... My mentor has a logging, milling operation in the mountains - there's NO water! Every day -...
  6. MOWboss

post your model RR tips........

Numbering Fleet cars. I have a fleet of hoppers for the mine and several log skeleton cars for the logging operation. All cars are custom decaled for the business. When applying the car number decals I used a number on one side and a number 100+ on the other side. Example; hopper is numbered...
  7. MOWboss

SCARY HIGH RAILROAD BRIDGE & MORE!

Interesting comment about the single main line track is moved periodically....
  8. MOWboss

Cleaning / DUSTING one's Layout

Haven't used my air compressor for a very long time. Thought it might be an opportunity to put it to work for a change. Air pressure could be regulated and the thought is once the cars were cleaned well a daily pass would keep the dust from collecting and settleing in one area. My initial...
  9. MOWboss

Mini-Scene Monday

Willie....
  10. MOWboss

Mini-Scene Monday

Brilliant! One of those "why didn't I think of that......."
  11. MOWboss

Cleaning / DUSTING one's Layout

In my pile of "stuff to build" probably in the next century is the idea of a car cleaner. I haven't built this yet but here's the concept as it might relate to this topic. Basically it's a brass tube (perhaps 1/4") that's formed as an inverted rectangle. One leg is capped and sits on top of the...
  12. MOWboss

Peco Vs Atlas track & turnouts

I agree with Trailrider but take exception with removal of the snap-over springs (easy to do). At least with my process. The older PECO turnouts had the spring under a cover on TOP of the turnout (at the switch points). On their newer turnouts, for some reason, the spring is mounted UNDER the...
  13. MOWboss

Let's get LOADED!!!.....

A couple of flat car loads at the substation. Stood back to take a longer view and realized that I could easily justify a flat car bring in a load of poles to add to inventory. (along with a crane to off load - details never end.....)
  14. MOWboss

Mini-Scene Monday

Car Ferry ANN is off loading empties for Haslowe Mine. What's attracted the sailors attention across the harbor at Sonny Marine? Ohooo.......
  15. MOWboss

Chain link fencing material

Brilliant detail with the vines growing on the fence.
  16. MOWboss

Chain link fencing material

If you switch to brass tube/rod for your fence post material you can have more options. My junk yard is totally enclosed with (chain link - tulle) fencing. Using a combination of rod/tube I'm able to close the siding gates and let the dogs out......... The framework is made by bending or...
  17. MOWboss

Mini-Scene Monday

Some really good ideas and inspiration. Here are some from my world; Lots of activity at Murry Coal Co. The boys in the back are bagging coal to deliver to old age pensioners and those on a shoe string budget. While a young mom is picking up a couple of bags while on sale - 15 cents a...
  18. MOWboss

Question Regarding Applying Decals onto Structures

Yes - your right about white. In the case of "POOL HALL" I believe that was printed on paper ( with green surround) and applied behind clear acetate (for the glass effect). It's been a few years since I've done these acetate windows. I hope that I'm providing some inspiration to explore...
  19. MOWboss

Question Regarding Applying Decals onto Structures

A littler different direction than your intention. For years I've created art work (using Paint). Sized it and laser printed it on clear Acetate sheets. "Remember that stuff from the old overhead transparency days?" In sample photo below the white letters POOL HALL were placed on a green...
  20. MOWboss

Bachmann E-Z Lube Rail & Road Track Cleaner

My hobby shop highly recommended Bachmann E-Z Lube (Rail & Road Track Cleaner). An added benefit is improving conductivity. Anyone here use this product and have any recommendations or tips? How long between applications? I need to clean inside tunnels and plan on using Woodland Scenics "Tidy...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.