Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. B

Modifying the Walther's Lumber Mill?

This is a couple of ideas I came up with today. At first I thought about glued a piece of music wire to one side of the plastic upright,...after all is very stiff strong wire for its size. Then I decided to look in my misc box for something like a 'L' beam piece of metal. SURPRISE...
  2. B

Gluing Rails to Ties

Isn't Pliobond some sort of a rubberized product? That dbl-back tape idea merits consideration,..and maybe re-moveable if I screw things up?? BTW, I did NOT have to alter the length of that turntable I had. And the flex track lying on there was just for visual mensurement,..I had no intentions...
  3. B

Flange-ways in our Turnouts

I had heard that this 'extra weighting' can produce positive results. I may keep that in mind if I run across a particularly troublesome car. Thar very small flange on those RP 25 wheels certainly keeps up to really exact track laying.
  4. B

Gluing Rails to Ties

I have 2 situations I need advice on,...gluing rail to polystyrene ties,..and gluing rail to wood ties. In both cases I am talking about NS code 100 rail. Gallows Turntable Bridge I have this previously used gallows turntable bridge that had brass track nailed to the wood ties at 3 locations...
  5. B

Removable Roof One item I didn't take into account was the fact that the sheds roof MUST be attached to the main roof ,..so the removable portion is the entire roof. I wonder what I am going to do about those rather spindly 6 vertical post holding up the shed's roof.?? I think I am going to...
  6. B

Sorry for being so anal about this job of cutting my roof, but like what was pointed out, I could end up cracking the plastic rather than getting a good clean straight cut. I got one of my good saws out, the widest one I had. I also clamped a steel ruler in place to use as a guide. My very...
  7. B

Walthers HO All Door Thrall Boxcars

Just wondering,..have you ever experimenting with weathering powders.
  8. B

How to Shorten Turntable Bridge?

certainly had to spend a LOT of time trying to locate the exact new center for that longer turntable bridge,...and get the straight-thru track correct. Then I needed to create a pit for it,.... WHILE maintaining that exact center. I wanted a 4" diameter pit within the outer pit to house the...
  9. B

need ideas for scratch building a wharf

That was my impression when I first found the subject thread on a great forum that I think has gotten very diminished by a software upgrade. Very thankfully a good number of the images are reproduced on that forum link I gave you
  10. B

need ideas for scratch building a wharf

This is probably beyond the scope of what you are looking to do, but perhaps you might get some ideas after looking thru the GREAT images Magoun Pier https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8221
  11. B

Sawdust Loader As has been pointed out I have used the incorrect loader for rail cars vs trucks, but I just like its appearance so much more. I'd even like to get a second one, if anyone has an unused one? (trade for the truck loading one?)
  12. B

I guess I was thinking that no windows would make it look more 'old-timey' or backwoodsy . On second thoughts that Walthers kit will likely not look too old timey with any grace. I am going to make the roof stiff and removable so that eventually some interior machinery might be added. I did...
  13. B

I got my turntable to fit in there without shorten it. Then I decided to go ahead and start assembly of the saw mill and a few of its out buildings,...just get a 3D idea of my selected overall plan. One item that stood out to me right away was the windows that were supplied with the original...
  14. B

Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

I don't do FB because every time I make the slightest visit, I get a mailbox crammed with a lot of BS,...and I have trouble navigating around in it.
  15. B

To double deck or not to double deck? That is the question.

Regrettably that layout has been sold & I believe disassembled when the gentleman sold his big house. The layout was in the upper room over his garage. I never did get a copy of the layout plan. I believe I have a few more photos,...somewhere if my brain ever lets me remember?
  16. B

Look what this fellow did in a long thin room, .....single level
  17. B

You might consider benchwork something like this. You have to look closely at the idea as i did not see what he was talking about at first
  18. B

Have you really done enough exploring with N scale vs HO. In general I think you will find that HO is a bit easier to work on, and more expandable if you want Sound and DCC in the future. N scale doesn't offer much in sound. Perhaps you should try visiting a club, or some nearby modeler's...
  19. B

Playing with rearranging things in my logging scene in order to accommodate the longer turntable,..
  20. B

I think I am going to try and cut out that triangular section, and a corresponding section in ribbed portion, then exchange those sections. Hopefully with a good fine, sharp saw I can get a nice clean cut. Fortunately that side of the roof is on the 'backside' of the viewing perspective,...and...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.