Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. N

Taking my Time & Exploring Layout Ideas while Playing w/ SCARM

@trailrider I have read in several areas of this site and other sources of the mix between setting the height so you can get it close to I level versus keeping it low enough so you don't hurt your arms and shoulders when reaching over the layout to do work on it. I'll have to double check one of...
  2. N

Hi Trailrider, yes this issue has been mentioned by other folks here within this thread. I do plan to use some sort of a lift off bridge. One thing I haven't bothered to share with the detail that I use a wheelchair to get around, so getting this at the right height to enjoy from a seated...
  3. N

Hi MOWboss, this is something I know I have to learn more about, but I'll have to dig further to even see where to begin. In watching several operations videos that involve railroad clubs and multiple members, and I noticed they use cards with the details of the various cars, what appears to be...
  4. N

Hi Kleiner, thanks for the questions and input! As far as track, I was thinking Pico code 83 flex, and Pico #6 turnouts. I haven't gone as far as pricing things out or checking availability yet. So the outer north loop was from the original two track concept. Even in the one track layout...
  5. N

Hi @kleiner , thanks for sharing the hinge information, and thanks for checking out this thread. I've been following your thread quite closely, and as you might recognize, some aspects of my potential industry areas were inspired by the track plans you have been exploring along with pictures and...
  6. N

Googles gauntlet track, sees intriguing results: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track & THIS... then ponders question - does anyone make one in HO or are these only hand built?
  7. N

Hi everyone, so I did some more experimenting with my potential use of space. The first plan in this thread was my evolving two-track layout. However, I made some adjustments to see how it might be with a single track, which is the second picture. I figured a single track might be most...
  8. N

Caboose Types & Eras?

Interesting stuff... I wonder how the guys that worked during & after use of cabooses felt about their departure.
  9. N

Caboose Types & Eras?

I've been reading up on cabooses and have been able to grasp the logic behind the traditional cupola, offset cupola, extended vision cupola, and bay window cupola. One question I seem to be having trouble finding an answer to is what was the more common version being used from the 1960s into...
  10. N

HO Scale - Industry Facade - Distance off Wall?

As usual, I appreciate the information... thanks!
  11. N

HO Scale - Industry Facade - Distance off Wall?

Hi everyone, I've see some convincing looking industry facades that are set against a wall, sticking out a few inches to create the physical 3D model and then maybe a photo behind to continue the effect. What is the minimum amount of inches one typically models when doing this? Also, when...
  12. N

The roads and objects depicted in these latest two plans might end up being reconfigured as I figure out what might enhance realism, I just wanted to further wrap my head around the idea of space available vs. space used by other things and not just track track track. This is why I've...
  13. N

Hi guys, I'm still killing time until I'll be able to get my room ready. I did two things while exploring. One was to plug in some structures that might represent industry (shown in brown), commercial (in dark green), and residential (in blue). This included placing some roads to get an idea of...
  14. N

TANK CARS! Great info and footage

Excellent video & drone footage as usual!
  15. N

@boatwrench and @santafewillie , that's great information to consider, thanks for sharing!
  16. N

Hi @boatwrench .... yes the hardware being used along with the techniques described are something I'll have to investigate. As far as the S-turns, looking at the last image I posted with the full layout plan, can you point out what area had a potential S-curve issue? I ask because the...
  17. N

Northeastern HO scale switching layout

Interesting, I figured it was more on the prototypical side as it resembles several aspects to the photos that @Rico posted on the first page of this thread. Since the room I plan to use is still a few months away from being ready, I've been playing around in SCARM to see what might fit. I'm...
  18. N

@Sirfoldalot Thanks for sharing, and thanks for sticking to hunting down that thread! Great info on the bridge, not to mention a great photo diary* of his renovation & expansion.
  19. N

Northeastern HO scale switching layout

Hi guys, I've been following and learning a lot in this thread. I've also read other discussions about prototypical vs. "switching puzzle" industrial areas. Would you guys say this falls more in the prototypical category? I'm still trying to recognize the key differences between these two...
  20. N

Iron Horseman once again thanks. Definitely helped, and less confusing since I've been gaining some familiarity through the other reading I'm doing and videos I am watching. I think that goes to show just how complicated it can be and takes time to absorb. And I love the origin of the town of...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.