Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. wombat457

Painting rails?

At what point during the build do you paint your rails?
  2. wombat457

Two new Engines ...

Have bought these great Kato Engines for the new layout: Both Kato SD70MAC's with DCC installed. They should make a nice addition to my roster.
  3. wombat457

Hopper paint color?

Can some one tell me what the "standard color" is used on these hoppers? Not the color used by atlas or mtl or any other manufacturer but the REAL color used by the railways. I am assuming it is a very light grey but would like to know, and to get as exact as I can, to repaint a number of 4...
  4. wombat457

Seriously Liked????

Just got a notification that I was awarded with a "Seriously Liked" Award .... This is proof the software is flawed ... :)
  5. wombat457

Atlas 4 and 2 Bay Hopper Car Truck and Coupler Replacements?

I have just bought 6 Atlas Trainman 4 Bay Covered Hoppers and 6 Atlas Trainman 2 Bay Covered Hoppers as follows: What I want to do is the following: 1. Replace the Trucks with top quality trucks 2. Replace the Wheels with Metal wheels 3. Replace the Couplers for top quality ones...
  6. wombat457

Royal Pacific Railway Layout....

My "new layout" has been on hold for some time, for various reasons, but now it looks as though I will be in a position to actually start something. Due to the additiion of things such as the Car Shop/Engine House and (now) an industry, I have had to make a few changes to the track plan which...
  7. wombat457

Just bought one of these ...

For a long time people have said you need a set of Calipers so, I finally bought myself a set: 0-6" Stainless Steel Digital Caliper from Graingers
  8. wombat457

Just ordered some of these....

Every day I see trains going by my side yard, about 50 away if that, and every day I look at the different cars that these trains are pulling. One common piece of rolling stock is the Grain Car/Covered Hopper and I love them, 2 bay, 3 bay or 4 bay - they just look great to me. As such, and...
  9. wombat457

MRC N Scale Sound Decoders

MRC #1960 N Scale DCC Drop-in 1.0 Amp 28 Function 16-Bit Sound Decoder for Kato According to MRC, these are a simple drop in replacement decoder, with on board speaker, for the Kato Lighting Board and they fit the Kato ES44AC engines. That is all well and good but was wondering about the...
  10. wombat457

Engines Issues ....

I own 9 engines, mainly Kato's but also a Fox Valley, BLI and a Bachmann (Steam). All but 2 of them run perfectly around my test track with a 17" radius. The two problem engines are a Kato ES44AC with TCS Decoder and the Fox Valley SD70. The Fox Valley: Despite having this engine for a...
  11. wombat457

SMD LED's and Resistors...

With some in trepidation I finally worked up the nerve to try out my new ISO-TIP Battery Operated Soldering Iron, with pointy nose (conical) tip, on one of my 550 mcd SMD LED's and a 1K SMD resistor. I also used 26 Gauge Stranded Wire and .020 37/63 No Clean Solder. So, this is the end result...
  12. wombat457

Anyone else getting this upon LogIn?

I don't know about anyone else but I am still having issues with the "Alerts". You click on the Alerts and this is what I am getting: I have tried doing as the message says, 4 times, and still get this "Security Error"?? This tends to happen randomly as well. I can go for 3 or 4 days and...
  13. wombat457

What to use as a filler?

What do you guys use to "Fill Gaps" in styrene joins? I have read about a lot of things from melting styrene rods to Bondo to Tamiya Putty and so on. I've used Tamiya Putty on aircraft models and didn't really like how it ended up. I'e also used Bondo for its intended use but not sure how...
  14. wombat457

3 Bay Car Shop

A little while ago I (reluctantly) bought a walthers 3 Bay Car Shop Kit for my pending layout. My intention is to make it as realistic (internally) as possible. As such, I also purchased a number of "Gold Medal Models" industrial detail sets, walkways, railings, ladders etc. I have now just...
  15. wombat457

ISO-TIP Rechargeable Soldering Iron ...

While I own, and use, a Hakko FX 888D Iron I found it restrictive for getting into "tight spots" and for doing "micro soldering" jobs. While I was looking for "finer tips" for the Hakko, I came across something called an "ISO-TIP “60” Pro Charge Soldering Iron Kit – Model #7800" and had to have...
  16. wombat457

Conversations - how to delete them?

How on earth do you delete "old conversations"? It seems as though there is no option for doing so. Also, when selecting "All", it doesn't seem to register so you are unable to utilize any of the options offered, some of which make no sense to me anyway. Lastly, there doesn't appear to be...
  17. wombat457

Non Hobby Specific Items...

I think we all know that "anything" that is specific to something is "generally" more expensive than a "generic" or "alternate" product". This is true (very true in some cases) for the this Hobby as well. As such, and as a result of getting some great ideas in another thread, I was curious to...
  18. wombat457

Building N Scale raised overhead walkway problem....

Not new to scratch building but am new to N Scale scratch building, especially when it comes to scale sizes for materials. Here is my plan - I intend to build a series of "Overhead Walkways" and am looking at Pastruct ABS products to do that. The support for the walkways will be "I Beams" and...
  19. wombat457

Will be off line for awhile...

For the past 4 hours I have been watching an unconstrained forest fire about 3/4 of a mile to a 1 mile from my home. The winds are strong and gusting making the fires path difficult to predict. It is currently in some fairly steep and inaccessible, to fire departments. terrain. Currently...
  20. wombat457

Weathering an Engine

I have "tried" to do some weathering on my F7 A and B units and would like some in put from the "experts". Comparison between weathered and non weathered: The pictures make the weathering look heavier/darker than what it actually is but as said, would like some input from you guys as to...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.