Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Rico

Any Conrail modelers here?

I believe NYC_George is into the blue and white, look for some of his threads.
  2. Rico

100 car reverse loop project done

Impressive George! What radius is the loop?
  3. Rico

HO Conrail modeler here

Wow... Very nice! I had to laugh tho, after your intro I was half expecting tyco locos on a loop of brass track. Boy did you blow that out of the water! 😉
  4. Rico

HO Conrail modeler here

Welcome aboard! Yes there’s quite a bit to learn after fifteen years, you’ve come to the right place. So... we'll be waiting for some pictures!
  5. Rico

MTH 0-Scale 2-Rail 2-8-0 Consolidations.

Hal keep an eye out here: https://www.brasstrains.com/Home Dan gets some interesting stuff in, and as has been said previously it can be a waiting game.
  6. Rico

My unnamed railroad... the beginnings... (Can't think of a name yet...lol)

Hi Shawn, and welcome! Looks like you're off to a running start, interesting mix of equipment. Covering the ceiling above the layout is a good idea, painting or covering the floor would be good too. Looking at your track plan, have you considered reach to the far corner? Maybe an access hatch...
  7. Rico

Boxwell Caskets

Looks like it’ll be a fun project Tim! You'll need to print up a few of these babies for the loading dock: https://www.allscaleminiatures.com/miniature-gallery/casket-single
  8. Rico

Broadway Limited Decoder Swap - Video

Very nice Ken! I have a BLI SD40-2 that needs a decoder swap, unless I can load a different horn file into it. Right now it sounds like a game show buzzer!
  9. Rico

Custom Decals Needed

I was going to suggest Bill as well, browse his website he does some neat stuff besides decals!
  10. Rico

Bridge after bridge after bridge

Very cool video George, thanx! There were a lot of bridges I’ve inspected that had no walkway at all, very freaky walking across when they were high up! And I also recall kids on a reserve doing the same thing to us on a long trestle but they'd be on bicycles, they’d jump clear but the bikes...
  11. Rico

Rapido Passenger Coach Lighting Wand

Mine are kind of hit and miss, are you standing on one foot with a coat hanger in your left hand pointing towards a return heating duct? I just tap the wand lightly over the hatch usually. I think I had to install batteries on a couple of mine, theres always the possibility the batteries are...
  12. Rico

North Metro MRRC

Yikes! Looks like the mow crew will be getting some ot. So... any chance the new landlord could install a burger chute? 😋
  13. Rico

Old and New N Gauger

Well it looks to me like you have only two ways to go here then. Put everything on Feebay when she’s out shopping and run like hell, or damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead into the madness! I'd prefer the second myself. 😉 Welcome back to the hobby and to here!
  14. Rico

To Flex or Not to Flex

Great idea Gary! And there’s nothing wrong with using flex track, the prototype does it all the time! Whatever track plan you end up with there is almost always a way to modify using prefab curves in one brand or another. I think Kato makes several curves that fit together to make a passing...
  15. Rico

How many power packs?

I think what you need is not blocks but feeders. Attach one lead to the outer rail close to the power and another on the far side of the layout and attach the other lead to the inner rail at the same locations. If you have turnouts (switches) you may need to add feeders to the stub rails if the...
  16. Rico

RAPIDO to Knuckle couplers...N Scale Loco conversion to HOn30 Narrow gauge locos

Very cool Chris! Makes me want to dig out my 0n30 stuff and do up a micro plan... 🤔
  17. Rico

New Guy modeling in HO

Welcome aboard! We're going to need to see some pictures, we love seeing pictures!
  18. Rico

Prototype ops question

I recall cars to be dropped being sorted from the rear forward at times, I believe it was so they didn’t have to uncouple the whole train, drop the air, set brakes, etc. Of course these were shorter trains so not so much walking, and if the engineer liked you he’d back the train to pick you up.
  19. Rico

Steel Connections

I’m thinking you mean how to secure the horizontal blue beams to the yellow vertical beams, in which case I’d use small styrene angle iron shapes glued in the joint. Interesting looking structure!
  20. Rico

What is the best tool in your railroad toolbox?

Bottle opener. Um, yeah it’s definitely the bottle opener. Wait, what was the question? 🤪

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.