Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. skyliner

What do I need to know to get started air brushing?

Hard to say. The one on Amazon has good reviews, but it's hard to know what's reliable with those anymore. I wouldn't give the included paint too much weight in your decision; it may be fine for practice, but there's a fair chance the type of paint included is not the most ideal for hobby (i.e...
  2. skyliner

What do I need to know to get started air brushing?

Welcome to the airbrushing world. There's a veritable treasure trove of information out there in the interwebs, so let me see if I can distill down my advice. I've been using airbrushes since I was a teenager, but not much for railroading; I've been building plastic models for even longer...
  3. skyliner

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Ok, as mentioned previously, I'm not supposed to be adding equipment right now but...I saw Hiawatha Hobby had some Athearn Genesis SP cabooses on clearance. So I picked up two, a C-50-7 and a C-50-9, with two different lettering styles.
  4. skyliner

I've got a few of the similar BullFrog switch machines, which are constructed of laser-cut wood. One tip (if you aren't aware already), if you need pushrod equipment, check out the RC airplane section of hobby stores. They have lots of pushrod accessories, connectors, etc. I've actually found...
  5. skyliner

I'm not supposed to be acquiring new equipment (more on that at another time), but I couldn't pass up a Cyber Monday deal that caught my attention. BLI F3A+B, CB&Q, DCC and sound. Now, this doesn't quite fit my layout era, but I do have some Burlington rolling stock from that time, for when a...
  6. skyliner

What locomotive?

The picture at the top of the page is of a Choo-Choo Train.
  7. skyliner

No Luck in my Search for an O-Scale 2-Rail 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 Steamer with DCC and Sound

Rather difficult request, it seems. I don't do 2-rail O, so I don't know if there's any other secret sources out there, but the closest I can find in about 20 minutes online is an ATSF 4-6-4, appears to have DCC and sound, at The Public Delivery Track...
  8. skyliner

Yeah, I won't disagree with you there. I mostly look there for out-of-production items that aren't easily found elsewhere, and things that haven't been re-priced from years ago (and thus are cheaper than the current run stuff). I think I've only ever bought one loco there for the reasons you...
  9. skyliner

Cheap on the fly tool holder

One of the greatest discoveries I made online, in this area, was dental tool trays. Although it can be a little hard to find the ones with individual tool slots:
  10. skyliner

Ah, wish I'd known that-- for months, SMS had a pair of Atlas yellow cupola CNW cabooses on the shelf in the main room that I thought were mis-marked, at $12.95 each, when everything else around them was marked $21+. I almost bought them twice, just because of the price, but never did because...
  11. skyliner

Re-painting HO shipping containers, need advice

Yes, this is especially important if you live in a cooler climate, or during the winter if your hobby room is cold. Spraying from a cold can may lead to the "orange peel" effect when it dries; this applies to clear coats as well (e.g. gloss coat, semi-gloss, etc). I usually just run the sink...
  12. skyliner

It's possibly even worse for me in comparison; I patronize both halves of the store because I do both trains and plastic models. However, I don't make it up there as much as I used to. When I first moved to the area, I lived just across the river south of downtown St. Paul. Now, I'm in the south...
  13. skyliner

Ok, based on the price tags, it looks like I have some competition at my favorite St. Paul LHS. 🤣 Sorry, but I think I got their last Accurail GTW reefer a couple months ago.
  14. skyliner

This came a couple weeks ago, but I just got around to taking the camera downstairs and getting a photo. MTH C44-9W "Dash 9" in HO. I noticed these on clearance at an online shop, so I figured I'd give it a try. DCC + sound, albeit MTH makes it clear it's their version of digital, DCS they call...
  15. skyliner

Athearn BB Locomotive upgrades

Thread drift, apologies. MP 38...Petaluma? I grew up near milepost 20 on the NWP. Unfortunately, I was born too late and never saw a train operate on that portion of the line until fairly recently with the SMART train in service. I used to fly small planes out of the Petaluma airport years ago...
  16. skyliner

Burlington Northern Bay Window/Wide Vision Caboose.

So what's the proper terminology here? Is it a "Wide Window" caboose? Or a "Bay Vision?" 🤣
  17. skyliner

Athearn DCC ready locos

Zombie thread alert! I was in the process of crafting a thread asking for help on my Athearn F59PHI quick-plug DCC install, and I came across this. Same situation, ran fine under DC, but under DCC, lights worked but motor would not turn. Pulled the motor after seeing this, added a strip of...
  18. skyliner

Intermountain SP Cab Forward Run Status?

Oh duh, sorry that's true. HO scale. :rolleyes: And I was even trying to decide whether to post this in the HO forum or this one. At least that would have cleared it up.
  19. skyliner

Intermountain SP Cab Forward Run Status?

At some point, I decided I would get an SP Cab Forward (probably when I first saw the only remaining one at the CSRR Museum many years ago). My preference is for a later version, AC-10/11/12. I passed on the earlier Intermountain runs when I heard they had some teething problems, but I think...
  20. skyliner

Glue (or Cement)

What kind of glue are we talking about here? Solvent cement, aka plastic model cement? And for what purposes? Kits? Scenery? Benchwork? You made me go downstairs and count, turns out I have 17 different types of glue that I use for hobby purposes. However, some are just different brands of the...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.