Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. bob

Roller Coasters

Oddly, for a guy who runs a model railroad forum, I may steer you in a completely different direction. If you're looking to recreate roller coasters from specific locations and do it very precisely, you should likely consider going virtual reality. There's a program out there called "No Limits...
  2. bob

Roller Coasters

There are a few kits out there for HO roller coasters. Of course nobody is making kits of the coasters at West View Park, they're very unique and complex. You'd have to build your own for that. Also, be aware that miniature roller coasters have a rather severe limitations. Physics doesn't...
  3. bob

What starting page do you use the most?

I'm curious to see how folks browse the forum. Do any of you use the "Featured" page: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?featured/ Do you use the "Home/Forums (They're the same)" page: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php Do you simply use "What's New" and ignore both...
  4. bob

Political adds ?

Also, I just saw something that implied that Kalmbach is moving to a subscription based model for their websites. This site is free, for all content. No "subscriber only content", no paywall, no premium upgrades. In return, we do ask you put up with a few ads. If you have an ad blocker, please...
  5. bob

Political adds ?

I have banned all political discussion, as per long standing policy. As for political ads? well, running this place isn't free and they pay well. If you don't like them, just scroll on by. If it makes you feel any better, just view it as me taking money from (insert your least favorite...
  6. bob

Edit titles under user name

OK, I've change the user group permissions and you should now be able to set your own title. To be honest, I don't pay any attention to them. They have several features that are designed to promote members posting. The idea is that the more posts you make, the higher "title" you get. In...
  7. bob

Walthers, Inc. has purchased Chooch Enterprises

Walthers Press Release Wm. K. Walthers, Inc. is proud to announce that we have purchased Chooch Enterprises and that Chooch is now a member of the Walthers family of products! The product line has found a great home with Walthers; as a significant distributor of the Chooch line...
  8. bob

New Tools Forum

By popular request, a place to talk about model railroad tools, which means pretty much all tools when you get right down to it. Sometimes it's a simple and cheap razor saw to cut rails. Other guys have a full machine shop so they can build their own live steam locomotive. While most of us...
  9. bob

Tools Forum?

Been a rather hectic and chaotic summer for that Bob guy, but he's finally catching up. Here you go!
  10. bob

Should you tell your wife......?

Depends on what scale you model in... :)
  11. bob

Using Graphite on Rail Heads to Improve Conductivity and Operation

The local model railroad club that I'm a member of did a scientific experiment with the ATF fluid. I think it was something like 6 months long, and they closely monitored things and documented it. The conclusion was that it works very well. You only need a tiny amount, a couple of drops, and the...
  12. bob

Using Graphite on Rail Heads to Improve Conductivity and Operation

It forms a very thin film on the rail which reduces oxidation. You can verify that by wiping your hand over the rail and see if you pick up any grey coating. The trick is to be conductive and prevent oxidation. What I don't like about graphite is that it gets everywhere and can cause random shorts.
  13. bob

Can't Find Trophy Post

We downplay trophies / points since we don't want people posting just to post. It's far more useful for something like a gamer board. But, click on your profile, then click on "points". You'll see your awards there.
  14. bob

Scale or Gauge?

During the classic movie "Miracle on 34th Street", at one point Santa is talking to Virginia and says something to the effect of "Some little boys ask me for a full size train, whatever would they do with that?" Even as a kid, I was always like "Give me one, and I'll show you!"
  15. bob

MASSIVE YARD, Hump yard, and engine facilities

I visited this yard as a kid in the 1960s with my father. We even got a tour of the yard control tower. At the time, it was the largest classification yard in the world, and proudly announced that fact on a sign. At some point larger ones were built, and currently UP's Bailey Yard claims the...
  16. bob

Center Peninsula Track Planning, …..Container Terminal & Port Facility

That’s what I was guessing, just wondering what port it was, it looks familiar but they all look alike.
  17. bob

BTW, where did you find that photo you have taped to the partition. Any idea where that is?
  18. bob

Monorail, it's the train of the future! Always has been. Always will be! As a kid, I was fascinated with them and spent many hours drawing them. As a kid in the 70's, I asked if we could ride in the cockpit of the monorail at Walt Disney World. That was decades before the tragic accident that...
  19. bob

Total post count and join date?

Correct.
  20. bob

Thanks for not taking offense. I'd consider eliminating the right hand track. Then you could have a truck lane and you'd still have plenty of activity in the container yard. BTW, the cranes are Mi-Jack, they make several varieties of rolling gantry cranes, including ones that run on crane...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.