Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. dennis461

Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Nice seeing these old MU's. I was an electrician 1987-1991, on SEPTA Regional Rail after Conrail gave up these cars.
  2. dennis461

Looking for feedback on new N-Scale layout

I would NOT have a duckunder.
  3. dennis461

Track cleaning car

Is the pad easily replaced? Or removable in some way?
  4. dennis461

Morning all, Hey Boris! I used to work at 'Powelton yard' , it is just off to the right of your picture, We had an alcoholic worker who would disappear into 30th street station at lunchtime (around 8pm). He would stop answering his radio. So the boss would send me to look for him. Powelton...
  5. dennis461

Christmas tree train spiral

You have picked an extremely difficult project, good luck.
  6. dennis461

Laying Cork Roadbed

Don't over think it. You fill the transition in with strips cut or sanded thinner than the mainline, sort of steps. The track will support itself at 2-3 inch intervals. So, mainline 2" gap, slightly thinner cork 2" gap slightly thinner cork, 2" gap, yard thickness cork. Ballast covers your 'sin'.
  7. dennis461

Good morning. Finishing up my weight addition to 2-8-8-2 Rivarossi. Melted some lead into a semi-tubular form. Lots of room in the boiler. 6.5 ozs!
  8. dennis461

Question about purchasing used track

And concerning mixing track. The one common denominator is the distance between the rails, inside dimension. NMRA Standard - Minimum .649", Maximum .672" You can mix code 83 and code 100 by shimming the 83 with small metal strips underneath the rail when sliding on the rail joiner. Or , file...
  9. dennis461

Question about purchasing used track

I've got a large box sectional track, mixed brass and nickle silver. Pay postage and it can be yours!
  10. dennis461

Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Foggy this morning in southern NJ. Adding another long spur to railroad
  11. dennis461

That's metric, you need to convert it :) 40° F in NJ
  12. dennis461

Diorama using Linear Motion

They are driving on the WRONG side of the road! :)
  13. dennis461

:) Sirfoldalot, Hold down the ALT key and type 248 to make this °
  14. dennis461

Swine flu, 12,500 deaths COVID, 208,000 deaths
  15. dennis461

Good morning, A large mug of black coffee for me. Three days to put railing on the turntable, CA glue took hours to dry, then did not stick either. UPDATE another section just fell off :(
  16. dennis461

Turntables, Steel Mills & Classic Buildings!

Link with no description or text. Could be a scam.
  17. dennis461

Tight HO radius question

You will not be able to couple cars on the curve.
  18. dennis461

Scenery help, guides & layout dusting!

"... box fans with attached furnace air filters, ..." This will not work very well. Rig up compressed air and vacuum hose as a single tool. The compressed air makes the dust airborne and the vac sucks it up. Rig it to hang from the ceiling when in use.
  19. dennis461

Problem with joining Atlas HO code 83 flex track

I would solder them together, leaving slightly straight/curved. Then bend into place. Use a clip to keep the heat from melting too much.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.