Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. KB02

Need a Plumber?

Needed some plumbing work done (sewer stuff... yuck...). Called around and got some referrals and called in a guy a few friends highly recommend. He came in to check things out and give us an estimate and while my wife was showing him around, he happened to notice my layout. Happened to be home...
  2. KB02

Industrial backdrops?

Anyone have a good suggestion on where to find industrial backdrops? I've been searching google without much luck. Lots of scenic backdrops, but not much for industrial.
  3. KB02

Need Some Design Help

Rail traffic is just about ready to start rolling on the whistle stop RR again, but I now I need somewhere for it go. I need some help with the operations side of my design. I've got a pretty blank slate, and I've been looking at shelf layouts designs and I just don't know enough to plan this...
  4. KB02

Which bridge to build?

With my new expansion, I now get to build a new bridge. I was thinking about a modern steel trestle style bridge (Viaduct bridge?), but I'm also thinking a braced arch bridge would be easier to build. The span it need to cover is 4 feet (or roughly 350' in HO scale, if I did my calculations...
  5. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Well, it has begun, and there is no turning back now. ... well... I guess I COULD turn back if I wanted to, but I'm not going to. My layout started as a pretty standard 4x8, then I drilled holes in the walls and built mountains and now I want to have a bit more functionality, you know...
  6. KB02

What gauge wire for SMD LED?

Looking at some possible lighting upgrades for some of my locos. I've got a bunch of 2mm SMD LED's and was going to get some magnet wire to use with them. What size ire should I get?
  7. KB02

Should I rebuild?

"If I knew then what I know now..." has been said so many times by so many people. Lately it appears to have been my turn when talking about my layout. The more I work on it, the more I wish I had done things differently from the start, which makes me think about tearing out what I have and...
  8. KB02

Nothing but static on Econami ECO-21P

While running my trains today, one of my locos running an Econami ECO-21P just started giving out static. I tried unplugging and replugging the decoder and the speaker, but no change. I reached out to Soundtraxx, but haven't gotten a response yet (on a Saturday afternoon, I'm not too surprised)...
  9. KB02

Small problem...

This used to be a nice river scene, but thanks to my 2 year old, it’s now a construction site. Good thing I love him, huh? ps- I’m not worried about the loco. That one’s a cheap “toy” train.
  10. KB02

Anyone using a TS100 Solding Iron?

Just came across these and they look pretty good. Certainly better than the cheapy ones that I have and keep wishing they were better quality. Anyone have a use one...
  11. KB02

Weekend Re-Construction

The latest expansion of my layout has been a bit of a pain. It is in the basement and along a wall where, despite our greatest mitigation efforts, we still have a bit of a ground water issue from time to time. And there is a window where, when the spring melt comes, snow and ice like to...
  12. KB02

Can you run enough LED's in series to not need a resistor?

When I built my round house and was putting lights in it, I discovered that the more LED's I put in series, the more power they needed to light them all. I could get a max of 3 2mm LED's in series behind a 1K resistor and still have them lit. If I ran 4, they wouldn't light, and if I ran just 2...
  13. KB02

Why does one particular spot on my track always get dirty?

I have one section on my layout that always get dirty before any other section of track. I can't figure out why. It's a 3' section of straight track with power feeders before and after. All Nickle metal track. I just don't get why this one section of track is the first to pick up the dirt.
  14. KB02

Turnout issue

I'm having a bit of a problem with a turn out that is somewhat difficult to describe. This is a left handed Atlas Snap Switch turnout (No, that's not the problem... well.. not the problem I am writing about, anyway...) When my 4-6-4 Hudson takes the diverging route, the last set of drivers...
  15. KB02

Scratch Building a Turnout

I know, I'm a bad community member. I disappear for months at a time and then show up acting like I'm trying to sell something... Just so you all know, I am still at it. Two small kids and basement flood and all. In fact, here a video that I have been working on (for the last six months) that...
  16. KB02

Mowing the Lawn with an F7 :)

You may have seen these before, as the videos are 7 years old, but it's still fun and amazing to watch: Part 1: Part 2: Part 3:
  17. KB02

Filling gaps in tracks. What do you do?

Despite my best efforts, when laying tracks, I tend to end up with small gap between sections of track. Does anyone have any good way of filling them? I've tried solder before without much success. I could drop in a small bit of styrene, but then I risk losing a bit of connectivity (granted, if...
  18. KB02

Need Help - Function Mapping on NCE Decoders

I've got a number of locos running some basic NCE decoders. A couple of D13SRJ's and a BACH-DSL. From what I can tell, they are pretty similar in functionality - four function, basic control, etc. As I have been "improving" my fleet, I have been adding lights and what not, but I would like to...
  19. KB02

Poor Man's Trains - My new project

Posted this in the video section, but thought I might get a few more views (and opinions) here. :)
  20. KB02

Poor Man's Trains - Genesis Motor in Bluebox Loco

Been playing with some video editing software on one of my latest projects. Let me know what you think!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.