Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. Brakeman Hal

No Luck in my Search for an O-Scale 2-Rail 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 Steamer with DCC and Sound

I'm sorry, Sherrel, but I'm so shaky now that I couldn't paint a popsicle stick, let alone an all-brass loco and tender! The Consolidation I was considering is out too, because it's from a pre-1900 era, with tall stack and domes and simple valve gear. I know I'm being too selective (make...
  2. Brakeman Hal

No Luck in my Search for an O-Scale 2-Rail 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 Steamer with DCC and Sound

Hey Skyliner and Sirfoldalot, Thanks for the quick replies! I checked that 4-6-4 Hudson on the PDT site, and it was used in high-speed passenger service and would look out of place hauling my local shortline freight of only 6 cars. Another site has a 2-8-0 Consolidation, which claims to work...
  3. Brakeman Hal

This wasn't like my previous HO layout when I had a huge choice of equipment! I would prefer a Western road name, (SF, UP, SP, GN) but will take any road as long as its either a 2-6-0 Mogul or a 2-6-2 Prairie with DCC and Sound. (I have a Digitrax Controller). If you can find me a Seller who...
  4. Brakeman Hal

Non-MTH Steam Locomotives

That's something to think about, Rico, even though I never heard of a "keep-alive" scheme! That connection between engine and tender is a lot more complicated than just a straight printed-circuit drawbar, and with my shaky hands and that small, deep socket in the tender, I would never attempt...
  5. Brakeman Hal

HEY WILLIE, I have 3 GP-35 diesel locos; 2 are MTH and 1 is Atlas. Only my most recent MTH engine works. Hal
  6. Brakeman Hal

Hello, My MTH O-Scale 2-Rail 4-6-2 Pacific has that horrible "Wireless Drawbar", which is the cause of intermittent operation due to unreliable electrical contact between engine and tender. (Mike...why did you do this?) So I'm looking for a Non MTH O-Scale 2-Rail Mogul or Pacific engine with...
  7. Brakeman Hal

Any Digitrax Users Here?

GOT MUH DIGITRAX! Hey...this controller is the best one I've ever used, from my 50-year-old MRC analog to my MTH DCS circus! This one has more than enough power to accellerate my 5-pound O-Scale 2-Rail engine and the consists that follows it! The throttle is very precise, from the starting...
  8. Brakeman Hal

MTH Engine Uses DCC, not DCS

What do you mean, Rico? Hal
  9. Brakeman Hal

Track Cleaning, as seen in Model Railroad Hobbyist

This is Hal. I'm using this track cleaning car made by Centerline on my O-Scale 2-Rail train. The washable cotton sleeve encloses a heavy steel slug used to provide contact between sleeve and rail. You can see the rail marks on the sleeve. Brakeman Hal
  10. Brakeman Hal

MTH Engine Uses DCC, not DCS

Here's a pic of a prototype GM GP35. I have an MTH model in O-Scale 2-Rail that runs great with my new Digitrax Zephyr DCC Controller. (Shown is the rear end of the engine) The 5-pound loco has a switch enabling either the MTH DCS or the DCC decoder. Hal
  11. Brakeman Hal

Any Digitrax Users Here?

Hello, I recently ordered a Digitrax Zephyr DCS52 DCC Controller for my O-Scale 2-Rail Short Freight Line. My 3 engines are all MTH, and each has a switch for DCS or DCC operation. I just wonder if an 84-year-old modeler from the Steam Era will be able to understand the programming steps on...
  12. Brakeman Hal

Should you tell your wife......?

That can never happen to me, because nobody has a basement in the High Desert! Our sandy soil will not support excavations that deep, so all our buildings are on concrete slabs. I wanted a hobby room, so I had a contractor build me a 20' x 25' room attached to the 3-car garage. Here it is: Hal
  13. Brakeman Hal

Heavy Duty DCC Controllers for O-Scale Locos.

I've decided on the Digitrax Zephyr DCS52 DCC Controller. Yep!
  14. Brakeman Hal

Need Your DCC Controller Recommendations

Wel, I sure appreciate those recommendations, Gentlemen! I'll order the Digitrax DCS52 Zephyr! Hal
  15. Brakeman Hal

Need Your DCC Controller Recommendations

Hello...I'm an 84 year old model railroad hobbyist who remembers Steam when I was younger. In the 1940s my Dad was a Fireman on PRR Steam locomotives, and when he wasn't highballing on the Main in 2-8-2 Mikados, he would take me to work with him in the Yards where I would sit in the cab of an...
  16. Brakeman Hal

Does Anyone Use The Broadway Limited DCMaster Analog Control Module?

I have one that I used a long time ago and don't remember how it works. I have an Atlas O Scale 2-Rail GP 35 loco which has DC /DCC operation and Sound that I use with an analog DC power supply. When I momentarily hit the reversing switch it triggers the horn or bell. Hal
  17. Brakeman Hal

I checked out the Stall Current on my Atlas O-Scale 2-Rail GP 35 Diesel Loco...it's 4.80 amps. So what single-unit table top controller with 5 amp strength would you recommend? Thanks, Brakeman Hal
  18. Brakeman Hal

OK, wvg_ca,...I'll check the stall current! You're right...the controller must be able to handle it!
  19. Brakeman Hal

At the end of the upgrade, the track curves around in a loop, gradually descending to the level where the grade began. SEE? Hal
  20. Brakeman Hal

Sherrel...I do have a 2% grade on the side that says "upgrade"...see layout plan. The grade rises 2-1/2" in 10 feet. Hal

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.