Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. E

Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

The addition is finished. The last step was to build the sub floor with joists, glue it to the addition, then mount the whole business to the main building wall. I have some overhangs to build next, and then the main building walls will go together.
  2. E

Yeah, the general flavor of these kits is rustic, narrow gauge modeling in say the early 1920's to maybe immediately pre WW2. I model immediately post WW2 up until the mid 1950's, so I can make them work. It is a fair amount of cash to lay out if it doesn't fit what you're doing, and from what...
  3. E

Advise on removing HO steam loco drive wheel

What he said! ☝
  4. E

Got a tip for you. Go on You Tube and search for a guy who goes by "asd asx" He has a bunch of videos up on building these kits. They do look intimidating when you open the box and see all that stuff, no doubt about it. Once you watch him do a couple, it's not so intimidating anymore. Also...
  5. E

When ya gonna build that FSM kit? You've been teasing us with that box for several posts now. 😁
  6. E

Ikea style instructions! Been there, done that. I'm sure you've picked up some useful techniques from this build, like painting those trim strips before attaching them! We learn by doing. The biggest most important thing with any craftsman kit is to take your time. The second biggest is to...
  7. E

Me too Willie, but these walls were very small, less than 1" high (actually 7/8" square), and the way this section was constructed, it wasn't friendly to add them. The warpage is very slight, pretty much undetectable from the outside. There's just a tiny bit of separation at the rear which...
  8. E

Thanks Patrick, and thanks to all who liked or made comments. You will get that good, but you should also know that all I did was follow the instructions. The manual for this kit is very comprehensive, at over 100 pages, and there are a ton of tips and techniques in it. You can be a complete...
  9. E

There are several roof types in this kit. The main building and addition, which is what you've seen so far, will get ribbed metal roofing. Other structures will get shingles, and overhangs will get tarpaper/corrugated metal combinations. It's been an interesting build so far. Intricate work...
  10. E

Happy Monday All. Got the addition finished yesterday. Just a little bit of warpage on one wall, but not enough to be noticeable. I was a bit surprised. The cure for next time will be heavier weights and bottom side down, probably overnight. two shots here, one showing the addition, the...
  11. E

Just standard scale lumber. You start at the bottom, just like with shingles and work to the top. here are the three walls:
  12. E

'Morning all! Another weekend going by too fast! Work continues on O'Niell's Fabrication. There's quite a bit of board by board construction in these kits. It can get tedious, and it's a bit of a challenge trying to get steps done before your glue drives. This particular kit uses an...
  13. E

Political adds ?

I remember her LOL! Probably some fat sweaty guy in a basement in the Ukraine phishing for personal info.
  14. E

Happy Monday All! Got the first set of doors together and installed in the main building front wall. Everything went together well. This is my first try with this type of door & window construction, bit I'm satisfied with the results so far!
  15. E

Cardstock Buildings: Front and Center?

We have some cardstock structures on our club layout. For weathering you should seal with a flat coat first, then stick to dry methods, like Pan Pastels, Doc Bragdons or AIM weathering powders. There are several gel style compounds from Liquitex, or just use wax at the base so when you fill in...
  16. E

Political adds ?

The ads are driven by your viewing history, or at least mine seem to be. I was looking at tools, and got ads for tools. Cars, you name it. They are a necessary evil. I get political ones too, and yes they are annoying, but take heart. The election will be over soon, and you'll get a couple...
  17. E

Get yourself some 1-2-3 blocks from Amazon. They have good edges, and are heavy enough to hold walls in place and keep them square. I've also found that additional bracing is often required to keep things firmly attached and square on larger buildings. Walthers?
  18. E

Over on the tools forum I mentioned resuming work on a craftsman kit I had halted some years ago. A job change was most of the reason I stopped. A new management position and a ton of new stuff I had to pick up fast, plus a ton of travel. The other reason was an error in the kit itself...
  19. E

Having raised a disabled child and have a wife go through cancer treatment, as well as having my own age related health issues I know a bit more about the US health care system that I'd care to. I was in an airport someplace years ago checking work e-mail and happened to hear two women talking...
  20. E

This month's tool haul

Sorry Greg but no LOL! None of this stuff was very expensive though!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.