Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. armyairforce

'Area 51' Groom Lake, NV. My Old Layout

Let's put it this way, I'm always looking over my shoulder.
  2. armyairforce

'Area 51' Groom Lake, NV. My Old Layout

I've just fixed several broken picture links at the start of this thread, so "Area 51" should be visible again. I know the layout was bought and sold several times since I built it. I wonder where it is now.
  3. armyairforce

The Equestria Railroad - My Daughter's OO9 scale "My Little Pony" Railroad.

To give a bit of audience participation, I had printed out pictures of all the ponies, along with a number next to each one. Beside the layout, I had a 20 sided dice and gave the kids four rolls of the dice to pick random numbers to decide which ponies had a ride in the train. That too was...
  4. armyairforce

By about 12:30pm, my daughter turned up and took over the operation of the layout. There had already been lots of interest from children and parents alike.
  5. armyairforce

I started the day on my own as my daughter was at dance class, but she would join me around mid day. The layout was set up in the carriage shed, also being used as a loco shed on a temporary basis. The main loco shed, the oldest in the world still in use, needs roof repairs and its use is...
  6. armyairforce

Today was the big day for the ponies and their railroad! It was the Tanfield Railway Steam Gala. Tanfield Railway is the oldest railway in the world will be celebrating its 300th Anniversary in 2025. The steam gala is the main event of the year where in addition to the home based locos, guest...
  7. armyairforce

The "My Little Pony" railroad is now due to make its first public appearance at the Tanfield Railway Steam Gala on June 15th, confirmed by email this morning. Princess Twilight and friends are rather excited about the outing.
  8. armyairforce

After a few hours with the paint hardening, it was sprayed with a few satin coats and left to dry again before assembly and being placed on the layout for photos. All three locos and rolling stock on show together. For now, the layout is complete again, so that's probably it for updates...
  9. armyairforce

The coach had its satin coat sprayed this morning and once dry, the couplers were attached again. While the open wagons look ok with the MLPR 0-6-2 loco, the coach looks oversize. It does however look in proportion with the scratch built loco. That loco has all its detail painting completed...
  10. armyairforce

It keeps the couplings in line with the centre line of the coach, preventing them from over travel, while allowing the coupling to turn to some degree to accomodate tight radius corners.
  11. armyairforce

The coach also had all its other paintwork completed. Once that has fully dried, it needs its lettering and a satin coat.
  12. armyairforce

I used one of the other wagons to check/set the coupler height. After the coupler was fitted, the loco was primed and the pink sprayed. After a period baking in the airing cupboard again, the yellow cab roof was painted.
  13. armyairforce

The loco moved on towards completion today with detail added to the pilot and a headlight shroud. I also started the coupler holder.
  14. armyairforce

Language does make things more complicated than it really needs to be!!! I am English, but often try to use the local terms depending on which forum I'm on and what country it is hosted in. It all gets very confusing!
  15. armyairforce

Back to the coach. The postman brought the couplers today. I made some pivoting housings for them to allow the couplers to turn to some degree to help the wagons stay connected on the tight curves. Once the couplers were sorted, the coach was primed and then sprayed in a yellow base coat. The...
  16. armyairforce

The next piece was the "Pilot", known to me all my life as a cow catcher. It was only today I looked up the term on the internet! I think I'll add some corrugated or strip plastic on the basic angled styrene to add a little more shape and detail.
  17. armyairforce

Today, some small diameter microstrip was added to the side of the cab to represent grab handles. Handrails were also added to the boiler, and two larger cylinders were added to the front of the loco to help fill the space next to the leading four wheels.
  18. armyairforce

A steam dome was turned on the lathe from a resin block and then was attached to the boiler. It had a quirky look, but was a fairly good representation of the loco from the show, considering the narrow gauge chassis..
  19. armyairforce

The front of the boiler was filled to help guide the screw to the wooden block on the chassis. The sides of the cab came next, with another layer added with an opening to represent the window.
  20. armyairforce

The coach was tried on the layout to make sure it wouldn't catch on any tunnels and platforms one more time. Now it was time to turn my attention back to the locomotive and adding some fixing points to the chassis to allow the bodywork to be attached. A plastic tongue was added to the back...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.