Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. chessie_system3

Vintage C&O photos by Chessie System 3

You know it's been awhile since I've posted any pics. Here's some for yall to enjoy.
  2. chessie_system3

Atlas code 100 manual snap switch issues.

I had made mention of this in another part of the forum. I am building my 5th layout currently. I have meticulously laid my track. Tested it and tested it some more. Made sure everything was smooth and I wouldn't have any issues. Now I've had a reoccurring problem from my last layout to this...
  3. chessie_system3

Where to find Atlas U23B grab iron set.

Anyone one know where I can find a grab iron set for an Atlas U23B? I tried Atlas already. They don't have any. I tried eBay and couldn't find anything either. Justin
  4. chessie_system3

Criticism towards fellow model railroaders.

Was on YouTube on my lunch break and stumbled upon some really hateful comments towards fellow model railroaders from other model railroaders! I don't even know what to say. I guess there's bad apples in every bunch. I feel like we should support each other no matter what we feel about a layout...
  5. chessie_system3

New year. New layout.

Started construction on my layout this past weekend. Took roughly 9 1/2 hours to construct the table itself. I had some technical setbacks early on with my battery powered drills. However I received some help from my brother and we got it finished up. Next step will be getting track laid and get...
  6. chessie_system3

Memorial for Justin's Coal Loop

This is the memorial for my layout that was taken down this past weekend as it fell apart on me and we'll all attempts to save it failed. I had some good operating sessions on this layout and we'll it was sad to see it go but it was time to leave the sacred sheet behind. I hope y'all enjoy the...
  7. chessie_system3

My $25 Atlas

OK so I purchased an older Atlas locomotive this past Friday from good ol eBay for $25. The previous owner has done some work to it as I am also planning on working on it myself to make it more appealing to the eye. As I hope you can see she needs a little work on the paint job however from a...
  8. chessie_system3

B&O correct handrail color?

Anyone know the correct handrail color for this unit? Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
  9. chessie_system3

Scenic Express trees

Anyone use Scenic Express trees? Are they any good? I have a bunch of Woodland Scenics trees and I am wondering if Scenic Express is a better upgrade. Justin
  10. chessie_system3

Athearn BB Chessie U23B

I purchased an Athearn BB uboat yesterday. I normally look over the uboats from the bluebox era as they aren't prototypical in look for my railroad. I got this for all of 20 bucks so I can't complain. I want to work this model to get it up to standards. I can't for the life of me remember the...
  11. chessie_system3

Chessie System GP9M

Anyone have any information on these? Who actually rostered these under the Chessie System? All I can find is Western Maryland GP9Ms. Did anyone else roster any? Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
  12. chessie_system3

Plaster cloth worries

Ok so I'm working on my mountain and tunnel. I'm using crumpled up newspaper and I notice it has a lot of give to it.....I am extremely worried that the paper will collapse if I go to apply my plaster cloth to it. Anyone have any advice about this? Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
  13. chessie_system3

For C&O diesel fans.

Anyone got wind of Athearns new RTR GP35s? They are releasing some in C&O paint due out in October. I'll most likely jump on one of those as I already have one in Chessie paint. It seems fitting for me to get one as I am modeling based off the C&O lines in southern West Virginia.
  14. chessie_system3

New HO scale layout

For those who haven't seen my layout build yet. I'm building an 8x4 layout that I have started construction on. Here are some pics:
  15. chessie_system3

HO scale layout dilemma

I have moved into a small apartment. I have 7'x5' of open space...I can extend out another 2' against the wall. I can have it 2' wide as well on the extension. I really don't want to do a shelf layout for my focus is on the coal industry in southern West Virginia on the C&O. Maybe I can do a...
  16. chessie_system3

Athearn Blue Box quick plug upgrade?

I came across an Athearn quick plug adapter with the LEDs still installed from a rtr Athearn SD40 that didn't survive a move. My question is can the quick plug be installed on my Blue Box SD40? Has anyone done this before? I'd love to find a way of installing just simply for the lighting...
  17. chessie_system3

Old Con Cor Locomotives

Anyone know anything about the old con for locos? I'm looking at a B&O GP38 to lash to my other GP38.
  18. chessie_system3

Shelf layouts

So with the possibility of me losing space due to moving into an apartment. Shelf layouts....are they only limited to a switching only type of layout? I'd rather not be confined to a switching layout if at all possible. Any insight into this?
  19. chessie_system3

My first attempt at locomotive detailing!

So I have broken new ground today. Its not a huge step but its a step in the right direction I'm using a blue box gp35 as my test bed for this project. I have three other blue box locomotives that need their hand rails done along with some detail parts. Used Illinois Central Orange from model...
  20. chessie_system3

MR hit me with ideas.

Was out yesterday with my wife and picked up the winter 2014 how to build small model railroads. In it they have a lot of plans for so many spaces. One in particular caught my attention and will most likely be my base for my next layout. They took a regular sheet of 4x8 plywood. Cut it into some...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.