Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. B

How do I bring cork roadbed down to ground level?

Dave and D&J This doesn't really solve the problem of bringing the track down to the removable wood (or in my case MDF). I do recognize it's an easy way to bring the track to a flat surface but it's not adjusting the height of the track which is what I'm trying to do. HOWEVER, I do appreciate...
  2. B

Grade crossing gates and signals HO scale

Completely reasonable. Good luck! If you decide to build a circuit, for sure post the questions and we'll help out. I'm sure I'm not the only electronics engineer in the group!
  3. B

The way this thread worked out is why I'm happy to be a part of this community. I may not have responded, but I was reading all of the responses as the emails came in. Part of my real problem is that I'm working with a small space for this removable section. That doesn't give me much space to...
  4. B

I have a section of track that goes into a tunnel where there's some hidden staging. The mainline that heads into the tunnel is on cork roadbed. Here's my idea... The hidden staging can be built "off-site" and then simply put in place. Since it's hidden, there's no need to worry about aesthetic...
  5. B

Grade crossing gates and signals HO scale

How confident are you with your ability to tinker with electronics and find a method that would work? To create a simple circuit that would detect an object and turn on/off some output isn't too complicated and could be done for much less than $160. If you're up to the task, here's a link for...
  6. B

HO track dilemma

First, let me confirm that what I'm thinking is what you're trying to do: Two tracks are traveling in a similar direction and will come together to continue travel in a single direction. If that's true, my first question is: why did you purchase two turnouts? Sounds like a single Y-style...
  7. B

New layout design, looking for feedback

Chris, my son loves watching those things run in circles. His biggest interest is finding the longest possible train he can haul with one engine, he's right on board with the rest of us! I'm confident that his interest at 6 years old will grow later in life, especially if I can manage to keep...
  8. B

Okay, so I didn't mention that part, thanks for calling it out! I'm not exactly sure where to put the "loose" joint due the layout design. Maybe in the back where the track will be hidden and one up top by the double crossover. My thought: hidden track is the last place I want there to be an...
  9. B

Planning Your Layout and Track Plans

I used SCARM to create the plan, worked pretty well. It has it's kinks but their easy to workaround and the end result is very usable. For creating the track plan, I did a google image search of layouts and found the overall shape that I thought would satisfy my needs. At this point, I'm easy to...
  10. B

Thanks flyboy. I agree, it looks like good sandstone. After doing this (completely unintentional by the way), I thought about doing this side of the layout as western US (desert -ish), doing the opposite side as more of a rural mid-west town, and then the coal mine going up in the back could...
  11. B

There's more plaster on the layout, but I guess I didn't take too many pictures of those areas. I pretty much just followed that curve around about 3/4 of the way. The tape was still on the tracks, so I masked off an area with newspaper and sprayed the gray Krylon primer paint. This is the base...
  12. B

Been a while since an update was put here. I've dug through the pictures I've taken and try to update as much as possible... Quarantine is as good a time as any to pull out everything from the closet and see what I can accomplish. I had an old diorama kit from Woodland Scenics that I got as a...
  13. B

Displaying the unused

I used to be an avid user of eBay, but for whatever reason gravitated away from it. Instead, I've developed a love/hate relationship with the used section at the LHS. The prices are usually real hard to say no to, but I usually don't need anything that's on that shelf. So I end up with...
  14. B

I've seen your input in other threads as well as this one, I appreciate your comments. I like the higher level that you bring, it's good motivation to try a little bit harder when possible. Maybe some aren't good at it, but I'm okay hearing the critisisms.
  15. B

I did put the tunnel entrance in place to see how it looks, not too bad. Its not fixed, just kind of propped up for a picture. Some scenery around it and the imperfections will be hard to see (except for the rivet counters out there). Anyway, I'm happy enough with it. I may try to get a can of...
  16. B

A little bit of progress this past week. I thought I had some tunnel portals already, but couldn't find them for the life of me. So, I entertained the kids one day by playing with sculpting clay and making my own portal. Of course there aren't any normal colors around, so the raw clay looked...
  17. B

Some questions about Arduino for DCC (DCC++)

Okay, I've done some reading and found that JMRI can connect through WiFi (TCP/IP) using MQTT. Basically, this allows a device to simply broadcast messages on a WiFi network so that other devices on the network can hear them. The MQTT server hears all of the messages and distributes those...
  18. B

Yet another layout starting

I like that there's no plan. I always have to think things through and plan for what to do before I even get started - it's incredibly annoying. My layout is my constant reminder that not everything needs a plan, and when there is a plan, it's likely going to change. Keep working, I enjoy...
  19. B

Some questions about Arduino for DCC (DCC++)

So I've been looking at building my own DCC controller using an Arduino. Using an Arduino interests me with it's low cost, but mostly my engineering DIY nature flares out of control thinking that I can do this myself. So far, here are my thoughts... Most of the instruction I find online use a...
  20. B

Displaying the unused

I think you have more in those china cabinets than total pieces I have! Also, my wife is happy that I have a new shelf for display/storage of my trains, but she's mostly happy that said display is confined to the room. I'll need a few more decades of collecting before even asking about putting...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.