Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

Tight curves and tight clearance

Wow ! I had no idea those towers were still standing anywhere !! Now I won't feel guilty if I put the Atlas one on my next concoction !!
  2. M

Long time train enthusiast, first time modeler

Hi ! A few tips: Try to avoid a layout on a flat board..Hassle upon miserable hassle..You will be more content later on if you choose either open-grid, shelf style, or, around the walls/room, types of bench work. If you've no trains or controller as yet do consider going DCC with either an NCE...
  3. M

Tight curves and tight clearance

Probably a tongue switch...Crew has a pole which goes in some slot and aligns a single point rail against running rail.. Are, or were some still in S. Alameda St. in Los Angeles ...
  4. M

Problem with joining Atlas HO code 83 flex track

Crandell. If you bend flex first, before soldering it to next 3' section, you will never have a kink-less curved rail... Again: Lay the two or three sections out dead straight and solder their 2 or 4 joiners... Ties will make their own demands along the way while bending and securing to layout...
  5. M

Happy 4th.

Question: Do those who salute the UnionJack flag celebrate Independence from it ?
  6. M

fb, Nada... If need be you clip off 1 or 2 ties at each end of each unit.. This is enough room for rail joiners. (the rail gauge isn't affected). Solder the joiners..As you begin to move the 6' to 9' section onto the sub-roadbed, while bending it slowly you will see if you need to clip off one...
  7. M

Before joining and bending 2 or more pieces of flex track, lay then out end to end dead straight on the floor. Get the rail ends evened up, add rail joiners and solder the joiners, heating the joiner itself while letting flux solder ooze in from other end using a soldering iron, not a triggered...
  8. M

Steam starter set HELP

Contrary to some left over mis-beliefs about Bachmann, they make some of the best HO steam locos in the hobby today...I'd like to think it's the same for their N counterparts... I'm in HO NCE/DCC and own their 'Modernized 4-4-0', and their 4-6-0. Both are detailed to the max, painted and...
  9. M

MRC Prodigy Express'2

IT'S THIS SIMPLE: You get what you pay for... IT'S THIS LOGICAL: DCC is way easier to hook up than analog DC as track block-wiring is no longer needed for independence of trains.. Even sidings, and yard ladder tracks don't have to have on-off toggles, as does DC..In fact you don't even need a...
  10. M

Love For the Hobby

The pickle is fine..But what's holding up my corned beef on rye ??! 🥪
  11. M

Slip Coaches

😪 I guess then I'll have to go to the principal's office, wear a dunce cap and serve detention for not understanding the lesson; a lesson that was taught too briefly, illustrated too minimally, and spoken in a foreign dialect with terms unfamiliar to an American student such as myself.
  12. M

Slip Coaches

If a slip coach is behind other coaches how was this accomplished ? A train is chugging along at 55 mph destined for next station. Apparently there's a brakeman in a SC cab.. Is it like the outlawed practice in the US, 'switching on the fly', where cut lever is pulled, remaining car or cars...
  13. M

Love For the Hobby

This is a kind of club right here in ModelRailroadForums (.com). So, here I am and yet have no idea what I'm supposed to do to 'develop a facet of the members' (or member's, if you mean a particular member) love for the hobby' ... Other than voting for who will be president, secretary and...
  14. M

Cleaning locomotive wheels.

Yeah, the old wet paper towel with alcohol on track method.. GeeTee left out that you hold the loco in place as the wheels spin on the towel (just in case you're confused).. Also, get gunk off car wheels...Hold car upside down. Turn one wheel with your thumb while other thumb nail is acting like...
  15. M

How do I bring cork roadbed down to ground level?

WAIT ! Does the OPer want an actual grade up or down from the shouldered ballasted track ? Or, does he want there be no lift/fall, to/from it ?? The initial problem is not being described well... The transition from shouldered to non-shouldered, again, is displayed in your own post #15. Why are...
  16. M

bklynman, Wha !? You don't ....."bring the main line down to the surface"..... as stated in your OP. You bring the surface up to the main line, minus the cork. Post #15 is the perfect illustration of this.. What on earth is still the problem ??
  17. M

I wholeheartedly agree with Dave and Ian... I discovered this method on my own. If we use all the logic we can foster in every situation we will usually come up with the best method to solve it. Then we start noticing lots of others have done the same thing. This includes the 1:1 scale...
  18. M

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Why build a large display shelf when all or most will eventually be sitting in the junkyard full time, the shelf empty ?.. I can't imagine the grand total value of all those engines. Personally, I'd rather have 4 engines and a new Mercedes...🌵 🛤☀
  19. M

Hobby Room Update

TLOC TomO, thanks for your kind reply. My question was not coming from a negative viewpoint as others believe and have now dissed me for.. Your explanation cleared up a very long held curio...Yours makes perfect sense because you're displaying a particular project's progress rather than focusing...
  20. M

Hobby Room Update

Why are people compelled to show their work benches ? They're all the same but just look different. Or, 'seen one, you've seen em all'.. They all have materials, tools, paint, and glues...Some are messy, some are neat...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.