Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. S

Copper Valley Railroad - A New Beginning

Having decided (with input) that the train elevator is not a good idea. I have decided to focus my layout to be based loosely on the town of Houghton, Michigan and the dock area. I have included a small yard at the dock area where the copper ingots are unloaded off the train and loaded onto...
  2. S

Thank you for your input Dennis. I appreciate your honest opinion. I will have to look for an alternate plan to move the trains from one level to the other.
  3. S

I've been messing around with the track plan and gotten rid of the turntables. I have added an interchange to the lower level to give me a connection to the outside world and allow different traffic once in a while to move onto the layout. I've also added in the industries I plan to have on...
  4. S

Which 2-8-0?

Thank you all so much for the pictures and input on the 2-8-0. Dennis it is especially nice to see the Roundhouse photo next to the original #29. I think I’m hooked on the roundhouse. I’m only planning on a 4-5 car consist on the layout, but may see a 3% grade In one small spot. Dave thank...
  5. S

Minot, ND - Souris River N Scalers

And finally the refinery area.
  6. S

More scenery.
  7. S

The staging yard.
  8. S

Didn’t realize it’s been over a year since I’ve posted a progress update so here goes. Scenery is continuing to be added and we’ve expanded into a third room which contains a staging yard for the layout.
  9. S

Which 2-8-0?

Thank you Iron Horseman for your insight.
  10. S

Dennis461 asked for a sketch. Here a rudimentary one, not sure if this helps or not, but here is what I’m thinking.
  11. S

Thank you for the information on the TV stand. Looks like an expensive way to go, but definitely some good information there.
  12. S

You asked about a train elevator. I've been thinking about this and here's how I plan on tackling it. First off I plan to build one that is a semi-circle of track not a straight one. That way the train moves forward from one level to the next. I plan on a 18" radius so a 40" x 20" 3/4...
  13. S

Which 2-8-0?

GeeTee, Thank you for looking at the CR and your input on the closer match. I was thinking for the time period I will be modeling it would look closer too.
  14. S

Which 2-8-0?

I do intend to go DC. But I will keep my options open.
  15. S

Which 2-8-0?

MHinLA. To answer your questions I intend to buy DCC locomotives. But only plan on having two locomotives for the layout. The 2-8-0 and an 0-6-0 to be used in the main yard and town. I plan on only having about 20-25 cars total, 8 of which will be dedicated to the smelter/mine loads-in...
  16. S

Which 2-8-0?

GeeTee Thank you for the information. My layout will be based loosely on the Copper Range Railroad in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The largest steam locomotive was a 2-8-0. This layout will be standard gauge. The layout is planned to have a Copper mine, a smelter and into the town where...
  17. S

I will look into the scissor Wye Rico. Thank You
  18. S

Which 2-8-0?

Thank you all for the information. I will definitely have to do my research before buying one.
  19. S

Which 2-8-0?

I was wondering which 2-8-0 would be better for my layout. I have no experience in HO scale. My layout will be set in the 1920's and will probably be DC as I only plan on having two locomotives on the entire layout. I've only seen two choices the Bachmann and the Athearn Roundhouse. Are...
  20. S

If I'm correct in what you were saying MHinLA this is what you were talking about.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.