Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. B

Industrial backdrops?

Nice job Mondo. I hope I can get something half that nice for a few background scenes I want to create. But I need my own photos to make those flats from what I understand as they are specific structures and view angles?
  2. B

Looking for Max Shim Thickness for Peco 100 Guard Rails

As I had mentioned above, "I'm already surprised at a few initial trials without any shims". Peco Short Y turnout (no shims) The first test I made was with the Peco short Y. My initial thoughts were that this turnout would give me more problems than it did, primarily because of its relatively...
  3. B

the test Loco lineup: 1) 4-8-2, IHC, C&O Mountain (made in Solvenia). Has a very very mild case of cookie cutter wheels. I have quite a number of these locos as they run very well, they were relatively cheap, etc 2) 4-8-2, Bachmann, C&O Mountain. Has modern small flange wheels. 3) 4-8-4...
  4. B

Flange-ways in our Turnouts

So far I have experimented with shims varying between .010", .015", and as large as .020" thick,...metal and plastic. In general I have found that the thin ones work just fine,.....010" seems to be fine.
  5. B

'Y' turnouts discovery I also have a Roco and a Atlas Y type turnouts. In general I have found that the flange slot of their guard rails are about .040" wide, while the Peco's are about .050". And both of the others have slightly longer guard rails. Preliminary report,....all my test steamers...
  6. B

@KB02, Was there a specific logo or car that was giving you the problem? What size was that old Peco? How did you fix it,...what sort of shim did you use?
  7. B

Rebuilding Estate Purchased Korber Roundhouse

I picked up some of that canopy cement a few days ago, but I'm involved in a few other jobs at the moment
  8. B

New Experiments with Plastic Shims I'm going to run some new experiments with the plastic shims. To me they seem to offer the longest, smoothest slot transition. I want to reaffirm the minimum thicknesses that are acceptable, best steps in applying them, and which types of turnouts are to...
  9. B

Over the past few days I've been looking at this 'bending the guard rail' idea, and thus far I am not that enamored with the idea. Certainly it would save a lot of time, but I've run into a few problems. Spacer Piece: First off I though it would be wise to find a good solid piece (metal) to...
  10. B

Replace DCC Decoder for Bachmann 4-8-4.

I was taking a closer look at that 3rd Northern to see if I might find out whats wrong with it,... I got some sound, but no motion. I pulled the components further apart for these next 2 photos,.. ...and I marked the 4 wires that I have questions about. It appears as though the...
  11. B

I'm going to run some new experiments with the plastic shims. To me they seem to offer the longest, smoothest slot transition. I want to reaffirm the minimum thicknesses that are acceptable, best steps in applying them, and which types of turnouts are to be considered ??? I'm trying to set...
  12. B

Replace DCC Decoder for Bachmann 4-8-4.

I got all 3 of them out today, and was trying to recall the history of how I ended up with 3?,...and which ones had what modifications?? If I recall correctly, I purchased 2 of them from Peach Creek Shops when they were closing. They were both brand new, and came with the stock 'DCC...
  13. B

I think I am going back and rerun my experiments with the plastic shims, both with .011" & .020" thick ones I have on hand. Plus I believe I now know how to properly glue them with superglue. To me it seems to make a little longer, smooth slot. And I want to keep them flush (not proud) of the...
  14. B

Bending Experiments Over the past few days I've been looking at this 'bending the guard rail' idea, and thus far I am not that enamored with the idea. Certainly it would save a lot of time, but I've run into a few problems. Spacer Piece: First off I though it would be wise to find a good...
  15. B

Rebuilding Estate Purchased Korber Roundhouse

I'm sure they were likely a bit of a mess at times. I hope to put a few 'shop machines' in their from another old kit. And I'll definitely consider a partial roof, and/or a removable roof as one fellow did.
  16. B

Bending/Squeezing Peco Guard Rails This is a 'new solution' I've not heard of before,... Subsequently after I mentioned some reservations about performing this 'operation' on some older Peco turnouts ,.. Has anyone else had any experiences with this??
  17. B

BTW, here is a long discussion of that 'flangeway' subject,..right here on this forum... https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/flange-ways-in-our-turnouts.30016/
  18. B

@GeeTee, Your photos are a little too blurry and dark to be really useful in support of your posting. I might also suggest that you google the 'Peco flangeway' subject and look thru a number of more extensive discussions on this subject. and on other forums. I have over the years read quite a...
  19. B

Posted on another forum just recently. Has anyone else experienced this??
  20. B

I'm getting ready to do a little 'mass production' of the shimming of my Peco turnouts on my layout,...certainly most of the tighter radius ones that my steam engines may have to traverse,...and thus that are inaccessible in staging areas. Tighter radius I am defining as the Code 100 Peco...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.