Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Well I have temporary power applied to the loop. Using an old Tech 4 controller for now. I ran a bunch of different cars seeing if I had any track problems. I found 1 curve was a bit too tight. So that is fixed. Been running 3 Athearn GP60s for about an hour backwards and forward with no issues...
  2. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Rick, you are right. I missed a track in the drawing. There will be another added on the other side from the crane facility to the Allied Rail Rebuilders sidings.
  3. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Today started out with cutting lead wires for the tracks. 63 tinned so far. Then I got a box in the mail with 4 packages of Atlas code 83 Flex track ends. So I decided to start laying tracks today. A little soldering, cutting, nailing and filling and i have a loop of track finally...
  4. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Wilie, I think I have everything connected correctly. LOL I drew that out so I could figure out how many blocks I was dealing with. Looks like 55 so far. But the long storage tracks might get cut in half and add another block to them so I can move something off the front of the storage...
  5. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Thank you Greg. Still working out how I want to power it all.
  6. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Figuring out the wiring and block system.
  7. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Got the primer on the cork this afternoon, watching paint dry. Also got the ceiling fan up the other day. I ordered a bunch of Atlas code 83 flex track ends, should be here Tuesday. meanwhile I will start tining lead wires for the track. And also working out the block system. I also...
  8. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

James, I would need those in bulk, 100 each bags at least.
  9. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

You make valid points. Multi-tiered plugs sound like a good way to go.
  10. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

OK, my next question for those of you that have modules. What type of electrical connectors are you using between modules? I'd like something simple but also identifiable when it comes time to re-connecting everything. There will be a lot of wires underneath this monster. LOL
  11. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Rick, 5 modules 4' X 6' each. Look at this picture, the long runs down the middle. They are on 4 different modules.
  12. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Greg, it crosses 3 modules, so soldering all of the rail joiners is not possible.
  13. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

That brings up a question. If you had a very long yard track, say 12' long, how many feeder wires does it need? 1 in the middle or 2, one at each end??
  14. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

I was behind the house, she was out front. So maybe it was HER fault LOL I will get the rest of the cork painted tonight. Then start soldering feeder wires on a lot of flex track.
  15. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Rick, I was stupid, in a hurry, not paying attention, etc. etc. Needless to say I sliced my right thigh just above the kneecap. Luckily nothing damaged too bad. I'd share a picture but some people might not like that. I'm gonna blame James for this one. He got me moving to start building. LOL
  16. wheeler1963

Industrial backdrops?

PM sent
  17. wheeler1963

Industrial backdrops?

Be a shame to cut that up. What size do you need? Maybe we can swap a few of mine for you big one??
  18. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Well another day with no progress on the layout again today. A little side trip to the ER, 9 stitches later. Moral of the story, utility knifes with new blades can cut very easily.
  19. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Karl, still in the pile of things to do. :rolleyes:
  20. wheeler1963

JTEX A switcher junkyard

Well no train time today. The wife noticed that the down spouts were backing up with water the other day. So ok no biggie, disconnect one and flush it out right? Oh nooooo, after digging up the yard in 4 places, I found the problem. A crushed drain tile with a root growing in it. Major clog...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.