Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. PrairieKnight

Covering Track

I want to start putting ground cover down on the sub-roadbed. I plan on using real dirt, ready mix cement powder, and dried tea leaves as ground cover. My question is in regards to covering the track when I put down the glue/water mix, sprinkle the ground cover, and saturate the area with hair...
  2. PrairieKnight

DCC and Track Cleaning and Locomotive Wheels

WOW....... you brought up a very timely subject here Greg. I have been researching this and reading up on track cleaning in other forum websites. As a result of said research I recently purchased a can of "WD40 Electrical Contact Cleaner". I never heard of this stuff until a respected member...
  3. PrairieKnight

Block retaining walls

I made this "stone wall" with foam core. 1. Peeled off the paper on both sides of the foam, 2. Cut the foam into desired width and length,3. Score vertical and horizontal lines on the foam with a pencil, 4. "Pock mark" the foam by pushing wire brush bristles on to the face of the stone, 5. Paint...
  4. PrairieKnight

Sanded grout......

I appreciate that Red. I will check out the video and Luke's channel.
  5. PrairieKnight

Sanded grout......

I was reading an article starting on page 26 of the March MR about Building the Wingate in O scale. On page 28 there is a picture that shows sanded grout being used to model roads. I did not see any other mention of sanded grout in the article other then the wording under this one photo. Has...
  6. PrairieKnight

Track bed question

Ken, I might be a little late to this party... but I wanted to let you know of some lessons I learned if in fact you go with the foam roadbed. I am using the Woodland Scenics foam on my layout and I like it. Foam is what the gentleman at a LHS recommended six years ago when I started...
  7. PrairieKnight

Not really model railroad related, but...

MH.... would his first name be Arnold? I cannot for the life of me remember the last name. I grew up in the 60's... so I might be totally off
  8. PrairieKnight

Anyone else working from home?

First of all, I hope that everyone is staying healthy during this challenging time. I have my own thoughts about the current health concerns in the world but I want to stay away from anything remotely political here. I was told today that I am to work from home starting tomorrow. So.... along...
  9. PrairieKnight

Measuring track on my layout

I was at my LHS this weekend talking and dreaming with others that were there. One of the gentlemen asked me how many feet of track I have on my layout. I actually have no idea. I have a mixture of pre-packaged sections and "cut to fit" flex track. Does anyone have a good method for...
  10. PrairieKnight

My first NS "Sonic Bonnet" is done...only four more to go.

I am impressed. I am hesitant to do this on one of my HO Locos. What you have done with N scale looks amazing.
  11. PrairieKnight

Back at it with a new 116"x20" HO shelf

Nice pictures and great start to a layout that looks like it will be alot of fun. By the way... Keep on good terms with Yaz. When I bought my 4 X 8 piece of 3/4" green foam insulation at my local Lowes, I was told they could not cut it down so that I could fit into my Honda to get it home. So...
  12. PrairieKnight

Laying Flextrack

You had me Jazz... But I do have a question. I can recall watching a crew of gandy dancers at work aligning track on an old TV show. This show I saw was on a long time ago, black and white TV even. I cannot recall the show ( it might have been Captain Kangaroo or an old Walter Cronkite news...
  13. PrairieKnight

Lesson learned: Build it where you run it..

Mike: I would never doubt what you are saying. I would think that the level would look the same (off bubble) at both ends of the 2 X 8 if there was no bow in the middle of the 2 X 8, but for some reason, that is not the case. Perhaps I am doing things wrong with the level. So, I tried the line...
  14. PrairieKnight

My first air brush project

George: That looks alot better then my first try at weathering rolling stock with my Paasche air brush. My first attempt was horrible...no where near as good as yours. So since that first try I have stuck to using the air brush on painting/weathering structures. And I still do not have it...
  15. PrairieKnight

M: Yes, there are casters under the 4 X 8 section. The reason for the casters/mobility of the sections is do to the fact that my old basement does not have one large section for me to construct and keep a layout in one place. In the top photo in my original post in this thread, you can see...
  16. PrairieKnight

WOW... great replies... I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I am using casters with the plate and four screws. The rollers are two inch from Lowes. If I shim the two wheels on the 4 X 8 side of the new 2 X 8 section, it looks very uneven where the two come together. I am thinking that I...
  17. PrairieKnight

My son and I built our 2 X 8 yard addition and got the track pieced together on the 3/4 foam sub-roadbed: The above picture shows the new 2 X 8 yard section hooked up the 4 X 8 section. Everything was great until I rolled a car onto the yard section from the 4 X 8 to make sure that the track...
  18. PrairieKnight

Is there really an Atlas track shortage???

UPDATE.. I was at my LHS again this weekend and they were restocked with everything I needed in the way of Atlas track for my yard addition. They did say that with the current situation in China that there very well might be a shortage of some items in the future, they were not sure though...
  19. PrairieKnight

Weekend Re-Construction

KB ... that is some very nice bench work. It is nice to see a fellow "cellar dweller" not letting an old leaky basement ruin a great hobby. I do hope that this is the last time that you will have to take anything apart on your lay out. I have the same concerns and issues in my basement that...
  20. PrairieKnight

Is there really an Atlas track shortage???

I just returned home from a trip to my LHS. I was looking for Atlas code 83 track and turn outs for an addition to our layout that my son and I will be working on tomorrow. I did not find much in the way of Atlas track or turn outs at the shop. I was told that Atlas track is hard to come by...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.