Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

1. kjd

Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Alan, what happened to the Athearn Macks? I have been to a hobby shop only a handful of times since mine closed in 2014 so I'm not too sure what's available.
  2. kjd

What trains did you run today?

James, I'd like to hear more about the SW10s, are they plastic, brass? Did you build them?
  3. kjd

Locomotive Consisting

I started with Digitrax in the last century so that's what I know. Digitrax has a form of consisting where the command station keeps track of what locomotives should work together. If you want to access lights in a locomotive in the consist, it's address needs to be showing on the throttle...
  4. kjd

I thought maybe you meant 38 and typed 28 by mistake.
  5. kjd

Some googling and found early double stack cars had 33" on the ends and 36" on the intermediates. Later they had 38" on the intermediates because of the weight. Spine cars usually had 33" throughout because an intermediate only carries half the weight as an intermediate on a double stack...
  6. kjd

In the LMX lead train above, I had one of the those old Walthers stack cars. Were you able to change the intermediate trucks to 36" wheels? I was looking at it but wasn't motivated enough yet to see if 36s would fit. I think the models came out about 1992 and haven't seen them since. I have...
  7. kjd

Here's what I ran today, an MRL SD19-1. The prototype and model are both rebuilt SD9s. This one is so old it has metal trucks. I think I completed it in 1997.
  8. kjd

That is the one I was thinking of, the J3. I always thought it looked like a helmet.
  9. kjd

Is there an appropriate place to share prototype photos? This is day 22 of being in but my daughter is learning to drive so we go out driving for an hour or so a day. Yesterday (and today) the 663 (or is it the 664) ran the long way around so she got her first taste of "the chase". She did ok...
  10. kjd

I have always thought the art deco look looked best on the Milwaukee's F7 class and the NYC J3a Hudsons with the 'crest' on the smokebox front.
  11. kjd

I wish Athearn would bring back a few of the old blue box diesels, I know they won't , still.

If I understand correctly, you want to take trucks from an SD40-2 and use them on a Rail Power chassis for an SD40? If so, I am the bringer of bad news, they won't fit. The bolster heights are about a quarter inch different and the part of the truck that connects to the frame is completely...
  12. kjd

I wish Athearn would bring back a few of the old blue box diesels, I know they won't , still.

Do you want any SD40-2s? I have some extra.
  13. kjd

Nothing like a good steam whistle in the morning. I hope nobody tries to run a ship into it.
  14. kjd

I found this and it is similar to your model, from this page: https://wjhudson.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/southern-pacific-steam-boxset/
  15. kjd

A photo for day 20 of the new normal. What do you get when you combine a shark, a twinkie, a skybox and storm light? This is actually 3 photos, the dramatic sky was over Elliot Bay in Seattle, the hills and windmills are from eastern Washington and the train was in my garage. The 8527 and...
  16. kjd

I thought April Fools was cancelled this year. If he'd been able to go another 800ft forward and steer it 470 ft to the left and get it to go about 250ft across the water he would have made it. So close.
  17. kjd

Switching layout

I was thinking, this plan reminds me of Cottonwood, ID, on the Camas Prairie. The tracks have been pulled up for years but it is a small agricultural town on a curve. It had several grain elevators and a large wooden trestle. The main industries are on the curve so there are some funky shaped...
  18. kjd

Switching layout

It looks like N scale, that is a lot of going on in 8' in HO. The spur to the cement plant looks about 9"radius at most assuming the 12" squares. When I was looking at it I thought I would hate to be a surveyor in that town, the property lines would have to go every which way. It does look...
  19. kjd

Modifying Koester's Wingate layout to HO

I'm not sure what you are talking about but I assume the original is 30" x 16'. O scale isn't exactly twice as big as HO so if the plan is 16' on O you need 8'10" to duplicate exactly in HO. Not that it matters, just take the elements of what you like and build it. Maybe instead of 50' cars...
  20. kjd

Here's the glow worm that is 4106. The kit for the high nose was white plastic while the utility cab was black. The radiators are kind of thin.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.