Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Welcome to your Virtual Model Railroad Club on the web. Want join in the convesations?

Register for your free membership today!

1. kjd

Molding and casting resin

In another thread it was pointed out a C channel would be easier to mold and cast than an I beam. It is true that a C channel could be cast in an open face mold but a lot of things are not flat on one side. One of the best parts of model railroading is all the skills and knowledge about...
  2. kjd

What trains did you run today?

I don't know about you all but I've been very much enjoying the time off from the usual crazy. I actually just sat and thought about one thing for something like five minutes straight. Anyway, I've been spending some time working on the trains. I finished the first cars I ever bought, some...
  3. kjd

After almost 40 yrs, finished first model rr project

I've finished things before but this is the very first model railroad thing I got. I was about 11 and had just moved to a town with a hobby shop. I'd also just read about construction of the transcontinental railroad and mentioned to the shop keeper I liked the story and era. He said he might...
  4. kjd

Operating rotary coal dumper

Back when my oldest daughter was a baby, a friend gave me a Walthers model of a rotary dumper to empty coal trains. I could never get it to work right, it was more poseable than operational. Anyway, I messed with a few years and now my daughter is a junior and looking at colleges and I got it...
  5. kjd

Live loads

Has anyone tried or seen live loads in a club or modular show setting? How did it go? I wasn't thinking livestock as much as coal or gravel. I'm curious about your experiences.
  6. kjd

Building a RR for a commercial

I like models and behind the scenes and found this an interesting application of model trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0E1J_4Ocg
  7. kjd

Wpf 6/14-6/20

It was a fun day watching trains topped with a great sunset. Then another train came. The pixels are free, so what to do but keep shooting!
  8. kjd

Wpf 12/2-12/8

Like the song says, It's 5 o'clock somewhere! Of course when you don't have a job, it doesn't really matter. Since I am sorta between gigs now, I went up to Lacey, WA, to see the Olympic Model Railroad Society's layout at the Thurston County Fairgrounds. Funnelfan invited me up from PDX and...
  9. kjd

Weekly photo fun thread

They seem to run all week now so how taking Trucula's suggestion and just start on Wednesday and go from there 'til Tuesday. I'll start with one I took last night in my driveway. It is two exposures, one of the train and one of the moon put together in Photoshop. That is where the moon...
  10. kjd

We know the rosters, how's the to do list?

Like is says. What are you working on or planning? I borrowed Rob Leachman's amazing book 'Northwest Passage' and have been planning mid '90s 4 axle BN projects. My short list is (all BN): GP28M 1510 GP39-2 2722 GP40M 3507 GP50 3118 GP50 3103 B30-7A(1)B 4106 B30-7A(1)B 4067...
  11. kjd

Chopping noses on highhood locos

I was going to post this in the roster thread but was sort of off topic so a new thread was in order. Here are a couple locos with chopped noses. 4555 is an Athearn GP7 which in addition to the lowered nose had its dynamic brake blister removed. The cab front is a piece of .030 styrene with...
  12. kjd

Some real modeling

A hundred or so photos of the amazing models shown in Bellingham, WA last weekend. Brian's: http://www.pbase.com/railbat/pnwrpm_2007 Dave's: http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/pnw07 Keith's: http://www.pbase.com/locotrol/nrpm2007 On Brian's link mine are on page 6.
  13. kjd

New light for an old steamer

I spent much of the day putting DCC and a headlite into an older brass NP A5 4-8-4. The casting is not flush with the smoke box so I couldn't put a bulb in the smokebox and have it look right. N-gineering makes 2x3mm LEDs for projects such as these. I drilled #77 holes in the bottom of the...
  14. kjd

Similiar or not?

The prototypes for these three models have something in common, well ok, lots of things starting with flanged wheels but I am thinking of something less obvious. Any guesses? Models are MRL 651, RailPower shell and Athearn drive, BN2768, P2K with a little Cannon added, and Camas Prairie 3...
  15. kjd

Weekend Photo Fun 8/11/06-8/13/06

I am not sure of how this custom works but I assume whoever has a photo to share starts it. Here is one I made today. For more see: http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/freemo/freemo.htm Paul Mack
  16. kjd

Hot VW

Here is an old Wiking VW I lowered, painted and added recycled cell phone keypad LED lights to. The arc welder effect isn't as pronounced in person as in the photos. The LEDs are a challenge to wire because they are about the size of the solder pads on the 2x3mm LEDs used for ditchlites on the...
  17. kjd

B23-7s vs B30-7A

I don't know what the phases of B23-7 production were but some photos I found on Biel's BN Archive site indicate a B23-7 looks the same as a B30-7A (not a B30-7 which has two more engine room doors). So the question is how accurate is the Atlas HO B23-7 for representing one of BNs cabless 4000...
  18. kjd

Freemo adapter module

I am working on a freemo to notracks adapter module. I have been fascinated with both concepts and decided to combine them. I chose a river crossing because that is a logical place for a break in a rail line, the bridge could have gotten washed out. In the first photo, the far end, with the...
  19. kjd

A modeling/engineering question

Several years ago there was a single track line that saw maybe 1 or 2 trains a day (the far track in the photo). It passed through a narrow valley next to a small stream. Then a large industry, a coal mine, was built in the canyon. Most of the infrastructure is above the tracks on the hill but...
  20. kjd

New and improved rotary dumper

Well it is not really new but definitely improved. It is a modified walthers kit made operational with parts from a VCR, EKG machine (nobody was connected when the parts were removed), Burger King display, car stereo and a few new parts. It was a fun project and to see it operational makes it...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.