Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Welcome to your Virtual Model Railroad Club on the web. Want join in the convesations?

Register for your free membership today!

1. O

Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

I hope this is appropriate for a coffee shop: it is wake up and smell the coffee time here in the UK. Luckily I have a stack of Athearn, Bowser and other antiques in need of upgrading as the Prime Minister has just spoken to the nation via the BBC to tell us we are joining Italy and Spain and...
  2. O

Who ran these diesels in 1939/40?

Again thanks for all the input. My diesel roster, (bought to comply with Chicago's new smoke regulations) on my proposed layout which falls in the date range 1937-40 is/will be as follows: I.C.R.R. Alco 600 #9006 bought 1935 (a modified Atlas) E.J&E.R. EMD NW2 #401 bought 1937 (a modified...
  3. O

Thanks for all this info. My project began some years back and has slowly been mutating. I bought a fair amount of stuff when I was working (and had money but no time). Now I'm retired I'm gradually refining my ideas. I just sold a couple of musical instruments which has led to some railway...
  4. O

I'm trying, without much success, to find out who was running EMD SW1 and EMD NW2 shifters in 1939/1940. I have the feeling that the EJ&E had NW2s 403-407, but can't find any proof online. I'm particularly interested in any lines operating into and round Chicago.
  5. O

Fitting DCC in an old Athearn diesel?

Thanks Espeefan. Just the confirmation I needed.
  6. O

Fitting DCC in an old Athearn diesel?

I have an Athearn EMD SW7. Looks like one of the motor contacts routes through the chassis. Any hints on fitting a decoder? Initial thoughts are just to insulate the lower motor contacts, which are metal strips, underneath the motor from the chassis. The upper ones (the white wires) would just...
  7. O

Anyone have a Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 w/DCC & Sound?

And there is an example of a fair model of just this loco from Rivarossi
  8. O

Show us your kit-bashed structures

Well after joining MRF to get knowhow on US railroad modelling I realised that just being a lurker was too lazy. I'm nowhere near completing a layout (HO) but here is a kitbashed structure that is supposed to sit up against the backscene. The center is pretty standard Walthers plastic, and the...
  9. O

Chicago c1937

Yes, although less like the IHB with its heavy 0-8-0s, and more like the C&IW with a handfull of superannuated steamers. Probably calling it the Elmore Joliet &Calumet Junction implies far too extensive trackage. (though there is a possible explanation/example here in the UK. The Manchester and...
  10. O

Chicago c1937

Wasn't so much that the three roads ran to Chicago, more that a joint or belt or junction line should involve just the three of them, but as we say, it's my railroad so..
  11. O

Chicago c1937

I'm a UK modeller in the UK, but also working on Chicago c1937 in HO. My stuff is Pennsylvania, Illinois Central, and Erie, which makes little sense so I've invented the fictional jointly operated Elmore, Joliet and Calumet Junction to run them on. The old EJ&CJ also runs prehistoric locos, so...
  12. O

English Trains

Hi Papajohn. I'm coming from the other direction. Living in the UK, but modelling c1937 Chicago. Also 1906 UK, and to be really niche June 1940, British military railroads in France June 1940 AFTER Dunkirk.. If you have any queries about UK practice etc just ask. More than willing to help.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.