Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

After looking at a few pics there are different stages of dirty. Needs a wash, got washed a month ago, and just washed. The only thing in common is the doors. The ribs catch the dirt first, so the door will be dirty first before the rest of the car catches up. And if you're wondering yes they do wash them, that's why the orange logo is faded or not visible.

I have a stack of old cars laying around so might give it a go and see if I can managed it. Thanks mate, and thanks to TLOC for telling you :) Might have to see if he can offer me any tips as well - perhaps (hang on have to put my Staff Hat on) he and the other Tom might collaborate to do a Tutorial on Weathering that could be Pinned here?? (Okay Staff Hat back on the peg again)

Seriously though, I think most of us in the hobby like to obtain as much realism as we possibly can. Quite often that is frustrated by our own abilities or lack of them. Yes, there are a great many UTube Vids etc about things like weathering - but I have found most to be confusing. Having the ability to look at a Tutorial (perhaps one in point form) and to be able to follow it and ask questions of the author/s would be very beneficial - to me at least.
Rule #1 No two cars weather the same, and no two sides weather the same. Many will duplicate how a car is weathered, but unless you have pics of both sides it won't be accurate. That's why I use pictures as a guide of how a car looks.

Next few went with lighter powder on the car and the door. Airbrush blended with earth.
IMG_5856.jpg
IMG_5857.jpg

WOMBAT457, Tony, Yep as Cambria Area51, Tom says about the use of pictures, I also use the pictures. This is page 42 of a thread that started at first to show a few pieces of weathering. It’s not just Tom and I contributing but a slew of others. A few pages worth of constructive criticism or just a line or two. I asked for constructive and over the almost 12 months we now start page 42. There are lots of pictures, nothing earth shattering different to how weathering is done but with different spins. I have edited the title a few times since the beginning as the thread has evolved occasionally beyond freight cars. But still no locomotives allowed here.

Use those old rail cars and just practice. Layering is the way to go for any of the mediums. Keep the layers light and add on. Remember Mother Natures weathering is randomingly generate. Ours needs to be also, even without pictures to guide you, nothing is really incorrect. Water falls downward…

There are a number of YouTube content providers who post videos about their weathering work. Some are great, some are good and you will know in a couple minutes the guys you won’t go back to.

A few of my favorites are:

Boomer Diorama
DansRailroad2011
TheyMakeitlikethat
TheSteelRoad
panzermeister36

Take a swing through the 42 pages, there is some really good stuff to see, some errors that were posted anyway because we all make mistakes. Welcome aboard and believe me, if I can learn this anyone can. It’s fun and most errors are fixable.
AC548B1F-2B25-4DA0-A291-FC93DB22D8A1.jpeg

Last edited:
I am working at the bench today. I posted a couple MOW hi-railers over on that thread but have some rolling stock to show below
26E52A8A-EFF3-4410-BE6C-517F441D67CF.jpeg

The ARMN reefer I dirtied up and rusted the roof up. Getting ready to throw some hand drawn graffiti on this car. I did add 1 tag if you can find it. The reason I decided to change my mind on this car was I had some orange peel from airbrushing. I had to remove the peel by using mineral spirits and cotton swabs/buds. That left the car very faded. So I added slight rust to the roof and some dirt spray to the side panels and ends.
3DE7ACFF-2EA5-4151-97E2-345F9E85C981.jpeg

A4918550-96A1-4ECC-BB75-05DB6E594F49.jpeg

Now onto 2 cars that have me completely baffled.
6D23344C-BA55-4C83-9BCE-D9B906E78EF0.jpeg

I like all 3 of these tank cars and am really happy with the weathering.
969E7104-D60A-466A-B12F-27729FFDEF82.jpeg

I had faded these 2 previously and then of course got sick. This morning I added the Pan Pastels for both the start of the rust from the dome down both sides. Based on prototype pictures rust is mainly confined to the center panels but there is some rust elsewhere. I was extremely happy and shot both cars with a Matt clear coat. After drying I again added some more Pan Pastels and more Matt clear coat. Let it dry. Walked away to do a few chores had a small lunch and reported back to the bench. Not happy…
90576721-CD83-4C35-ACF6-F830B7661102.jpeg
D75B467D-1F9D-4132-A895-2E0B87C5BDD4.jpeg

Even though I am only showing one car, they both have white spots or I really think flecks of Matt clear. I always shake my mixes up using my vortex mixer but these guys are spotted. Before I took this break I decide to play with the car not pictured. Not 100% sure what happened and waiting for a return SOS message to a good weathering friend.

The fun of weathering isn’t always fun

I will return later

Last edited:
I am working at the bench today. I posted a couple MOW hi-railers over on that thread but have some rolling stock to show below
View attachment 161614
The ARMN reefer I dirtied up and rusted the roof up. Getting ready to throw some hand drawn graffiti on this car. I did add 1 tag if you can find it. The reason I decided to change my mind on this car was I had some orange peel from airbrushing. I had to remove the peel by using mineral spirits and cotton swabs/buds. That left the car very faded. So I added slight rust to the roof and some dirt spray to the side panels and ends.
View attachment 161615
View attachment 161621
Now onto 2 cars that have me completely baffled.
View attachment 161624View attachment 161625

I like all 3 of these tank cars and am really happy with the weathering.

I had faded these 2 previously and then of course got sick. This morning I added the Pan Pastels for both the start of the rust from the dome down both sides. Based on prototype pictures rust is mainly confined to the center panels but there is some rust elsewhere. I was extremely happy and shot both cars with a Matt clear coat. After drying I again added some more Pan Pastels and more Matt clear coat. Let it dry. Walked away to do a few chores had a small lunch and reported back to the bench. Not happy…
View attachment 161622View attachment 161623
Even though I am only showing one car, they both have white spots or I really think flecks of Matt clear. I always shake my mixes up usually my vortex mixer but these guys are spotted. Before I took this break I decide to play with the car not pictured. Not 100% sure what happened and waiting for a return SOS message to a good weathering friend.

The fun of weathering isn’t always fun

I will return later
I love the Reefer, really nicely done. Tank Cars, it's hard to see in the photo's those flecks you speak of, how noticeable are they say from 3-4 feet away?

I love the Reefer, really nicely done. Tank Cars, it's hard to see in the photo's those flecks you speak of, how noticeable are they say from 3-4 feet away?
Not noticeable from 3’. But I know there are there and they don’t belong there. They do show in pictures. I do know spraying more clear coat didn’t work…

I will get it fixed.

I called the Calvary and he texted back is in a meeting…how dare he work!

Thanks on the reefer.

Not noticeable from 3’. But I know there are there and they don’t belong there. They do show in pictures. I do know spraying more clear coat didn’t work…
Shame, and unusual, have to let me know what the Calvary suggests.

The Calvary suggested I go have a beer and strip everything down because I forgot to put the dust cover over the models as they were drying. Then remembered I really don’t drink so suggested my Diet Dr Pepper as celebration

Then suggested I take a brush and brush the specks off.

Ah, that worked, as I hide my head from the embarrassment…

preparing pictures for the client approval

@TLOC

I second what @Smudge617 said - you have done yourself proud. Fitst Class work indeed!
Thank you. For the most part I really enjoy weathering rolling stock. It’s a learning process and I found out that tank cars are not the easiest cars to weather.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to encourage engagement. As long it’s constructive criticism I have no issue if someone doesn’t like it. Tell me what’s wrong. I also as you noticed I post the problems and issues.

Glad you are here

@TLOC

Thank you and you have my word, I'm not going to "wreck a good engine" for the sake of weathering at the moment :) Think I'll stick to Box Cars to begin with, although I'll have to buy a few I think.

Are Box Cars a good starting point or would you suggest something else for a total novice to break his teeth on?

Back