Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the fog covered landscape of So. Central Wisconsin. I can barely see beyond the Christmas lights out on the deck. The electrician will be here this morning to add automatic digital timers to the 4 circuits that control the Christmas light display. I am done with those analog black boxes.

It is 38f degrees heading to a overcast 51 and a dreary day. Tomorrow the high temperature is guessed to be 26 with 1-3” of white accumulation.

Rehab on the knee, made the knee sore. I just took my pain meds for the session in 30 minutes.

Spent time in the train room. Almost 40 minutes in the morning just running trains. In the afternoon I spent just a tad over 3 hours on the paper mill build. The remaining 60 minutes was spent on my own project. Used 160 cardboard straws to build 10 pipe loads for some bulkhead flats and spray painting them with primer.

Today, if Terry is feeling ok we will head out for brunch and a shopping trip in a Milwaukee suburb. Funny,if I felt like she did, she have nagged me into heading to Urgent Care. Different though when it’s her.

enjoy your day

who can buy a couple of freight cars priced like that. Yes they are great and super detailed. Why do we have merely pensionados enjoying our hobby?
Mara, there are lots of folks who can buy those cars. Very few of those folks are drawing pensions. I sell off or set out stuff be sold as I want to improve my rolling stock. I constantly sell, buy, sell. I enjoy it too

Read to the end.

A Little 10-year-old girl was walking home, alone, from school one day, when a big man on a black motorcycle pulls up beside her.
After following along for a while, turns to her and asks,
"Hey there little girl, do you want to go for a ride?"
"NO!" says the little girl as she keeps on walking.
The motorcyclist again pulls up beside her and asks,
"Hey little girl, I will give you $10 if you hop on the back."
"NO!" says the little girl again as she hurries down the street.
The motorcyclist pulls up beside the little girl again and says,
"Okay kid, my last offer! I'll give you 20 Bucks "and" a Big Bag of Candy if you will just hop on the back of my bike and we will go for a ride."
Finally, the little girl stops and turns towards him and Screams Out...
"Look Dad" "You're the one who bought the Honda instead of the Harley... YOU RIDE IT!!".......

kinda overcast here in Virginia this morning.
Got some of the op session set up yesterday. It's a start and stop process. As I set up each train, I'll find something that needs repair or adjustment.
Kinda disappointed that only two members have rogered up to the op session so far.
I have three trains set up so far. I'll prolly get a few more set up today and then I'll go out for a ride to see a friend a couple counties away.
Watching the Virtual Railfan - Flagstaff. Number 4 has come and gone. Sun is just starting to rise behind a stormy looking cloud front. Might be snowstorm clouds at that elevation.

FB_IMG_1669728375338.jpg

No, the Chuggington Loco was based on a EMD-F unit

Well, in looking into this there is a Type 55 British Rail that looks similar and is the character "Brewster" and is the one I was thinking of. Not the same, but closer :)

I'm not that familiar with the Chuggington series so didn't realize all the characters. The Blue and Yellow British based one is the one I have usually seen.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 60°, kinda warm for this time of day in November. But it is forecast to be 75° later before a cold front moves in tonight and the low tomorrow morning is supposed to be 32°. Cooler for two days and then back into the 70's for a few more.

Even though I feel a lot better, my wife still thinks that I am still contagious from this sinus infection, so I didn't have to empty the dishwasher or set the table. I have returned to cooking but she fixes the salads. Due to the wonderful weather yesterday, I was able to let the fire go out in the wood-burning heater and thoroughly clear out the ashes without any embers. No fire overnight either. The wood pile lasts longer, although I am ahead of the curve for the season anyway since I didn't need any in October and expect to have a reasonable supply left over for next season. Next week I am looking at starting on next years supply so it has 11-12 months to dry. Firewood dries quickly around here with the 100°+ days in the summer.
Otherwise, much of yesterday was spent doing maintenance of the estate. Cleaning up fallen leaves for compost, collecting and organizing the various garden/yard implements. Today I will get the grinder out and sharpen various cutting and digging tools. I already know that I have to replace the chainsaw blade. At about $9 each, it's cheaper and easier to replace them than it is to resharpen them, even though I have the right attachment for my Dremel. I still have my old-fashioned hand sharpener as well.

I don't know exactly what I think about the possible upcoming railroad strike. I can understand both sides, and 8 of the 12 unions have approved of the deal, so it can't be all bad. It would be a shame if politicians have to step in as they are generally pretty useless.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday.

I mostly ran trains out in the train shed yesterday. It had been a few days. Just haven't decided what to do next, although the list of potential projects is enormous. I did install a few trees so I haven't been completely idle.
IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

There's a couple of others, but I only took two pictures. I really wish that I had Tom O's patience to make bunches of more realistic trees.

Todd - Even though I quit watching NFL over 20 years ago, I still get small glimpses while my wife watches the games, which is non-stop when there are any on. I happen to see Seattle use their 12th man defense against somebody on Sunday without getting caught.
Tom O - Hmmmh! My wife won't go into the train shed for any reason. If I don't come out, she would hesitate to even call 911. Good luck with the ongoing rehab.

I remember that many of you here said some great things about Vin Scully a few months ago, today would have been his 95th birthday.
Everybody have a great day.

I'm officially tired of Thanksgiving leftovers.

I made a huge pot of Turkey Noodles, and another pot of mashed potatoes. Enough to feed 50 people tonight at an AA meeting down in Franklinton. About 30 of those people will be shuttled in from a handful of sober living houses around Columbus. Another dozen or so will be homeless, looking for some help, and then there's a handful of us who sponsor the meeting every Tuesday evening at 7:00 in the little room behind the door with the triangle in the circle.

If any of you are familiar with Columbus, you know that Franklinton is one of the worst sections of town.

"Hope is Found Here. Take it With You."
1669730941650.png

Good morning all, 26° F and light snow falling. Supposed to be south of us but I guess some snuck over the line...

Had a day off yesterday, split some wood also retarped the wood pile since I have been using some I like to keep it straight on there so the wood is nice when I need it, also worked on a new rail fence is the wifes idea, however is looking good so now I am on board.

My favorite railroads - NP, CNW, GN, SOO

mostly NP

Train room - wife was in there last night wanted to put out the cows. I have to cringe everytime she puts her arm over the layout am sure she will be demolishing something. I let her set them up on the table but kicked her out when she tried moving stuff around.

Jeff - reminds me of one of the places I attended NA meetings, Chicago ave just off Lake street in Minneapolis. I attended meetings all over the metro for a couple years, saw and heard things I could have done better without.

Here is a train pic, back later:

IMG_2836.JPG

Dave LASM

I don't know exactly what I think about the possible upcoming railroad strike. I can understand both sides, and 8 of the 12 unions have approved of the deal, so it can't be all bad. It would be a shame if politicians have to step in as they are generally pretty useless.
I was in the union, IBEW, when I worked on the railroad.
The IBEW would take forever to negotiate.
The mechanics would settle first, knowing if the next union that settled got more, then mechanics would be entitled to retroactive compensation.
It was complicated.

When I was in, there was no sick pay and no excuse for missing work, miss a day, no pay.

Q
Well, in looking into this there is a Type 55 British Rail that looks similar and is the character "Brewster" and is the one I was thinking of. Not the same, but closer :)

I'm not that familiar with the Chuggington series so didn't realize all the characters. The Blue and Yellow British based one is the one I have usually seen.
Your close, Brewster is based on a BR Class 23 Steel Mill Logistics Locomotive.

1669734680464.png

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those wanting to head to Willie's for dinner, but only after he's not contagious.

It's Troy again...

Got 700+ words this morning. My getting up at 4 am seems to have been a thing of the past. Last night was up at 2 am for active brain. Got it settled enough to sleep at 3-ish. Then didn't get up again until after 6.

Weather is moving in tonight, so Wednesday is a bunch of winter yuck. not even a pretty snowfall is in the picture.

So, today was errand day. Needed to purchase lemon Oreos (I won't eat those. not a fan of lemon. 🤢 but I ❤️ the chocolate ones. Wife has learned to never leave a bag of them around me. She needs to take her share and hide them or they will disappear.

Leaving on a jet plane on Friday for the big cruise with the SIL and her roomie. Roomie has been having some health issues with her liver. Hopefully, those have stabilized enough for continued health through the cruise. We suspect this may be the last "family" vacation the roomie goes on with us. So we want to make it a good one.

I got my Diet Dr. Peppers in a 24-can cube pack. That was cheaper than getting two 12s with the current specials.

I've got the kamado grill going JUST for a high temp clean. Need to go check on it, and then go find the maintenance guy and turn in a spare key so they can get into our condo if there is a problem.

[snip]

Jeff - reminds me of one of the places I attended NA meetings, Chicago ave just off Lake street in Minneapolis. I attended meetings all over the metro for a couple years, saw and heard things I could have done better without.

Dave LASM

Sorry you had a bad experience. Sometimes these meetings are run by people who just want to share war stories... like it's a badge of honor.

It's also unfortunate that a lot of the old guard in AA refuse to acknowledge that addiction is basically alcoholism but with drug other than alcohol. The meetings I go to are AA, but we welcome any form of addiction.

It's also fairly common for drug dealers to show up at NA meetings, looking for easy prey. And then there's the whole predator/prey within the ranks of NA... Lots of men go there hoping to hook up with a girl who has emotional needs... Unfortunately, Narcotics Anonymous can be worse than not going to a meeting at all if it's not run by the right people in the right setting.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 60°, kinda warm for this time of day in November. But it is forecast to be 75° later before a cold front moves in tonight and the low tomorrow morning is supposed to be 32°. Cooler for two days and then back into the 70's for a few more.

Even though I feel a lot better, my wife still thinks that I am still contagious from this sinus infection, so I didn't have to empty the dishwasher or set the table. I have returned to cooking but she fixes the salads. Due to the wonderful weather yesterday, I was able to let the fire go out in the wood-burning heater and thoroughly clear out the ashes without any embers. No fire overnight either. The wood pile lasts longer, although I am ahead of the curve for the season anyway since I didn't need any in October and expect to have a reasonable supply left over for next season. Next week I am looking at starting on next years supply so it has 11-12 months to dry. Firewood dries quickly around here with the 100°+ days in the summer.
Otherwise, much of yesterday was spent doing maintenance of the estate. Cleaning up fallen leaves for compost, collecting and organizing the various garden/yard implements. Today I will get the grinder out and sharpen various cutting and digging tools. I already know that I have to replace the chainsaw blade. At about $9 each, it's cheaper and easier to replace them than it is to resharpen them, even though I have the right attachment for my Dremel. I still have my old-fashioned hand sharpener as well.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday.

I mostly ran trains out in the train shed yesterday. It had been a few days. Just haven't decided what to do next, although the list of potential projects is enormous. I did install a few trees so I haven't been completely idle.
View attachment 156866
View attachment 156867
There's a couple of others, but I only took two pictures. I really wish that I had Tom O's patience to make bunches of more realistic trees.

Todd - Even though I quit watching NFL over 20 years ago, I still get small glimpses while my wife watches the games, which is non-stop when there are any on. I happen to see Seattle use their 12th man defense against somebody on Sunday without getting caught.
Tom O - Hmmmh! My wife won't go into the train shed for any reason. If I don't come out, she would hesitate to even call 911. Good luck with the ongoing rehab.

I remember that many of you here said some great things about Vin Scully a few months ago, today would have been his 95th birthday.
Everybody have a great day.
Willie: Ya know the 12th man is the crowd ... right? So they had 12 men on the field and didn't get caught. This happens with just about any team and almost every game. Sometimes there just is no time to get it right. Most of the time though, the announcers do catch it and comment - don't mean squat as they don't have a flag to throw.

Also, I mean to comment on your layout stuff but don't seem to get to it. Anyway - GOOD JOB!

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back