Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my awesomely weathered 2 bay hoppers came in on Wednesday from TomO!!!!! I got them out for inspection today finally. Needless to say I am over the moon pleased! They are fantastic. I had 9 of them done and I also bought 2 WC cars from him early this past summer.

Here they are!

View attachment 154090View attachment 154091View attachment 154092View attachment 154093View attachment 154094View attachment 154095View attachment 154096
Damn those are nice.

Seriously, they were fun to do.James wanted rust, James got rust.

Made a little more progress on the 2 track viaduct.
George

viaduct_27.jpg

Mornin all. Fitful night of sleep. Dreamt that I was married but she was leaving me. Don't know who she was though. I found her overcoat with a few wedding and engagement rings in the pocket. Strange.
Gonna go to the train club this mornin and install a rotary switch for the computer to switch between JMRI and ESU for the programming track. The computer and the screen just sit on an 8 foot long table so this track will just sit in front of the screen. The wires go to the LokProggramer and the Digitrax PR4 which are both plugged into the computer via USB cable. The two modules will be affixed to the plywood plate. I could post half a dozen pictures of it, but I think only one is sufficient. If anybody wants to see more pictures of it, just ask.

20221022_065243.jpg

Good morning from weather confused So. Central Wisconsin. 52f degrees now heading to 78. Tuesday coming up the high might be 35.

Today or more likely tomorrow will be the last cutting of grass and mulching of the leaves. I am just going to do the 3 lawns around the house, about an acre and then be done for the season. I put everything away 3 weeks ago being hopefully optimistic but did not drain the gas.

I have both grandkids coming at 11- 11:40 this morning. Then the grandson is picked up for a birthday party till 4. The granddaughter and I can swim, play a few board games and she’ll let me know what else. We will keep busy but there will be no rest for me. Dinner will be delivered. Their parents will pick them up around 8. Homecoming is on the University of Wisconsin campus this weekend. I attended with the grandson the Women’s Hockey huge win last night but missed the Volleyball. The grandkids parents are off to Football this afternoon, I think the game is at 2:30.

enjoy the day

Mornin all. Fitful night of sleep. Dreamt that I was married but she was leaving me. Don't know who she was though. I found her overcoat with a few wedding and engagement rings in the pocket. Strange.
Gonna go to the train club this mornin and install a rotary switch for the computer to switch between JMRI and ESU for the programming track. The computer and the screen just sit on an 8 foot long table so this track will just sit in front of the screen. The wires go to the LokProggramer and the Digitrax PR4 which are both plugged into the computer via USB cable. The two modules will be affixed to the plywood plate. I could post half a dozen pictures of it, but I think only one is sufficient. If anybody wants to see more pictures of it, just ask.

View attachment 154109
Ken, I did not love the dream. I don't like disturbing dreams.

I loved the rest of the post. I just wanted to clarify that.

Good Morning All. It's clear and 64° here, should hit 90° again today. Forecast is still calling for heavy thunderstorms Monday with highs in the low 70's for at least a week. It should still be shorts and tee shirt weather, but I will have to start a fire in the heater for overnight a couple of times.

Today's event is my late brothers burial. He passed away in January, we had the funeral back then. But he donated his body to medical research and when they were through, he was cremated and the ashes were returned to the family. He will be buried this morning with my parents in a cemetery near Dallas, and we will gather at my sister's home afterward for another celebration of life. Conveniently, she lives around the corner from the cemetery about a half mile away. We have to leave here about 0830.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the scrap train yesterday. And thanks for the likes of the party pictures.

Out in the train shed, I only ran trains. For a full view of the action, go to the Switching Saturday thread and see it there.
I have selected the next project though, I have this grain elevator in the town of Graham and no way to move cars once spotted.
IMG_2255.JPG

They don't want to pay a switching fee to move cars, so we're going to install a winch to pull them into position. I don't know how common this is, but I saw it once about 40 years ago. Winch will be installed behind the bumper.
IMG_2257.JPG

I might start on this this afternoon if I arrive home in time.

Louis - I hate those online user manuals. Since I am not adept enough to use a tablet and can't read a phone, it requires going back and forth and hoping that I remember what I just read. Good luck with the new range.
Smudge - Have a safe trip to France. I'm reading that everyone seems to be on strike over there right now.
Dave B - Don't worry about inflation, it's just "transitory" I heard. Speaking of Janet Yellen, she and I grew up less than two blocks from one another in Brooklyn in the 50's. I didn't know her as she was 5 1/2 years older and went to public schools. We all lived in row houses there so there were probably 80+ homes between where she lived and where we lived. I passed her house on the way to school, but I have no idea which one it was, nor do I remember any individual characteristics of most along the way.
Todd - Really nice looking tractor, but as others have pointed out, it needs weathering.
Hughie - Hard to explain the money, but the three modelers actually paid $27 for the room, $25 + $2 for the kid, and got $3 back.
Mikey - Congratulations on 50 years. My FIL only made it 38 years before he quit paying dues and stopped showing up.
Snowman - Overtime didn't work for me. Went on salary in 1978 and stayed on salary for the next 37 years! Now on Social Security, there still is no overtime and the COLA's are not as good!

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. At 33F and raining, I don't know what's so good about it, though. Perhaps the afternoon will be better.

George - I really do like that viaduct idea. Well done, indeed.

Hughie - I thought you were a hillbilly kind-a-guy, like the rest of us. Yet, here you are asking hard questions that take a-lot of harder figuring.

For all it's worth, I've completed the building stage of the swing gate.
It's almost totally made of scraps that were laying around, except for the 2x4x1/4" plywood that I paid $17.00 for.
The gate is level and opens easily:
SwingGate_10-21-2022 (6).JPG

I've used an old electrical cabinet hinge to back-up the top hinge. This thing is really heavy-duty, and I'm glad I didn't throw it out when I demolished that industrial cabinet years ago:
SwingGate_10-21-2022 (2).JPG
SwingGate_10-21-2022 (1).JPG

My locking system is simplistic, made from stuff I had laying around. A tube from an old lamp that I cut to size to act as a sleeve, and a cut down 3/8" hook that is now the pin.
SwingGate_10-21-2022 (4).JPG

SwingGate_10-21-2022 (3).JPG

It works real good, and is easy to feel and put in the pin when required.
The idea is to keep the tracks lined-up steady when operating. Other than for train operation, the pin will not be in place.

With the weather as it is outside, this is a good day to try and get some tracks across the gate. I'm very curious to see if it's all going to work.
SwingGate_10-21-2022 (7).JPG

Well, I need to get out there and get wet on the dog walk. Want to get that done so I can get track laying across the great divide.

Have a great day everyone!!

Good Morning All!
40F @ 91% with a winter weather advisory

Thanks for all the likes and comments on the blue thing. Just a drizzle right now, maybe after it gets light I can start the weathering process. As Tom does, will start with the wheels and lower parts of course. Get to put the wife on it too as she is chomping at the bit to get some of her gardening started before the freeze and snow.

Later

Good Morning All!
40F @ 91% with a winter weather advisory

Thanks for all the likes and comments on the blue thing. Just a drizzle right now, maybe after it gets light I can start the weathering process. As Tom does, will start with the wheels and lower parts of course. Get to put the wife on it too as she is chomping at the bit to get some of her gardening started before the freeze and snow.

Later
Enjoy the process and it’s always great to have the wife help out. With a unit that big, you might be getting a much larger garden then expected

Last edited:
Enjoy the process and it’s always great to have the wife help out. With a unit that big, you might be getting a much larger garden the expected
Tom: Ya, Wife was the instigator on the tractor as the first time she got on a skid-steer she realized that machinery was the way to go. I changed her thought to a backhoe/bucket though. After deciding that a tractor was in our future, we knew we needed something that would lift a 1000Lb hay bale. We looked at a 50 horse, but that cost was way outa the budget. The flower beds are her first project(s). Planning a 20x40 food garden for next year. Might get the garden spot somewhat leveled, then using old hay from barn, rototilled in. We grow rocks here, so the tilling will be fun.

I get to do the ground work on the garage pad with help from the concrete guy, and a new spot for the RV. She wants to rent the RV as I suspect that we probably won't want to go anywhere with it.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back