Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, 30° and clear. Easier commute today as no school bus traffic, it is a two day annual holiday for school kids which takes place every year in Minnesota.

I ran the train around last night, did some switching with my SW-1, everything ran smooth. Wife went out with the girls yesterday, spent a bunch of money so she was in a good mood last night. I am getting ready for the concrete pour tomorrow afternoon, getting a little anxious since I usually wear myself out when concrete arrives. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 160#, I think most of it is muscle (at least I can imagine it is) 😁

Alcohol - I am one of the ones who doesn't drink any alcohol. Used to but gave it up, maybe that is why I don't have to diet?

Paul - Rock Island? Nice! By the way, my favorite railroad song is Rock Island Line. I love it.

Patrick - just noticed Great Northern is featured in this photo:

Here is a pic for today, from the OLD, dismantled layout:

_MG_5637.jpg

That was a nice coaling tower, nice details in the kit! It was too big for the current layout, and quite fragile. Gondola closeup is for Mara.

more later, Dave LASM

Good Morning All, again. Clear skies and 47°. Supposed to get back into the 80's today after four days with the high in the upper 60's. At least it's been sunny and pleasant. the NWS is predicting very high winds starting Saturday; which shift from the north on Monday, along with thunderstorms, probably marking the end of our Indian Summer. Still shorts and tee shirt weather all of next week according to the ten day forecast with highs still in the low 70's.

Yesterday was a somewhat dull day here on the SFW estate. I sawed up some firewood from a pair of oak branches that I cut last winter but never pulled them from the "back 40". I attacked a persistent ant nest with a couple of pots of boiling water, hoping to either eliminate the queen or get them to move. Then I unsuccessfully attempted to split a 20" log into usable chunks. Looks like I'll just use the chain saw instead.

Checking the list right now for the weekly grocery trek this morning. Fridge is more empty than usual which is not necessarily a bed thing. I am not sure if any other stops will be made; my wife will come up with something. With gas prices as high as they are (although lower than June), the more stops we make on the trek to town, the better. It's close to the time of year that she will want to make solitary trips to go Christmas shopping. Later this afternoon, we are expecting the much delayed service call to repair the refrigerator door. He has the part but "other stuff" keeps getting in his way.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my progress on the mini-project list.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I added those bikes to D's Diner. I also needed two kid figures, I had a ready done girl, but all of my males had basketballs in hand.
IMG_2235.JPG

So out came the surgical tools.
IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

I also added some trees around the 7-11 from the scene from last month.
IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Hobby Cost - Early on in the 80's I purchased randomly but kept all engine purchases to Santa Fe since I liked the paint scheme. I started reading books about modeling and realized early on that I needed to set an era and locale and stick with it, rather than spend needlessly which I could not afford to do at the time. I picked that era and I have pretty much stuck with it over time. I also determined locale. As much as I like harbor or waterfront scenes, I avoided getting any of that stuff. Likewise, mines, steel mills, logging and coal. It allowed me to spend more on what I really needed. All of that is OK if that's the direction that you want to go. However I do have a collection of 50's and 60's roofwalk boxcars and solid bearing trucks that are stored away, originally envisioning being able to get them out with my GP9's and switching eras occasionally. That hasn't happened.
Weight & Health - I admit to being overweight, but I like to eat! I did lose 40 pounds from 2018-2019 and I have been holding steady at 214 since then. I would like to and need to lose at least 20 more, but just haven't set my mind to do it. I don't watch calories as much as I watch carbs as I am a borderline type II diabetic. Losing some more weight will most likely help my blood pressure if nothing else, most other health measures are OK to my doctor. It's been months since I passed the last kidney stone, but most of them, while an irritant are not painful. I may have hit on the right combination of diet to keep it that way. Odd thing is that I went 65 years without one before they started. Walking a mile+ every day just keeps the heart active, never did much for weight, portion control is my method.
Patrick - Good luck with the second interview. Going back on the road sounds appealing. But be safe if you get it.
Smudge - Regarding the circuit boards. I used to just snip parts off them, and still do. I use them as barrels, electrical transformers on power poles, and just general junk. I had those two identical boards and the idea just hit me at the time; and it worked.
James - Good layout plan, more refined than mine. I did plan grain elevators and I have seven, but many of my industries are small ones that use 1-2 cars at a time. I do have plans for an ethanol facility, but I haven't turned that corner on the layout yet. I need to complete many other small projects first. I thought that retirement was supposed to give one more time for hobbies.
Dave B - Whatever phone plan that I have, or maybe it's the phone itself, informs me when an incoming call is either a spam risk or telemarketer. Not always though. I get about one or two a day and just hang up without answering.
Hughie - I have gotten hooked on the laser-cut structures, but there just aren't enough that fit my needs.
Joe - Good luck with the troubleshooting. Seems like you need it.
Guy - Street and sidewalk are looking really good.

Birthday's today include the late Mickey Mantle, the late Tom Petty, and Kamala Harris. No further comment.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning all,

40° and clear this morning, going for a high of 79° later. rumors of rain early next week, but I suspect that's all they are.

Tried to send this multiple time over the past 1.5 hours...Already busy.

Dave: Love that Great Northern engine! Thought I had one in an online auction lot. Technically I do, but it's the grandson's N-scale....

Good morning all, 30° and clear. Easier commute today as no school bus traffic, it is a two day annual holiday for school kids which takes place every year in Minnesota.

I ran the train around last night, did some switching with my SW-1, everything ran smooth. Wife went out with the girls yesterday, spent a bunch of money so she was in a good mood last night. I am getting ready for the concrete pour tomorrow afternoon, getting a little anxious since I usually wear myself out when concrete arrives. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 160#, I think most of it is muscle (at least I can imagine it is) 😁

Alcohol - I am one of the ones who doesn't drink any alcohol. Used to but gave it up, maybe that is why I don't have to diet?

Paul - Rock Island? Nice! By the way, my favorite railroad song is Rock Island Line. I love it.

Patrick - just noticed Great Northern is featured in this photo:

Here is a pic for today, from the OLD, dismantled layout:

View attachment 153943

That was a nice coaling tower, nice details in the kit! It was too big for the current layout, and quite fragile. Gondola closeup is for Mara.

more later, Dave LASM
Dave, where did you get the pullies and lights on your tower, they look awesome !

Good Morning All. It's pretty active across the pond this morning, and Louis either stayed up late or was up really early today. Or maybe he's shifting hours on us!;) I'll be back soon after reviewing some other posts.
I woke up at 12:30am, parts of my body were "talking" to me. They were too loud to ignore to allow me to fall back to sleep.

I forgot to mention, great idea with the circuit boards!

I did my morning work/exercise, went to the grocery store and now I am going to take a nap before they deliver our oven.

I sometimes think I single handedly keep UTZ in business. I'm also susceptible to the bulk packs of Halloween candies sold at Costco and BJ's. Although due to shrinkflation, the kids will be getting less enjoyment for their costumed mooching this year.
I love UTZ! Their Red Hot potato chips are my favorite!

I have become a finicky old man. I used to eat the same thing. Now I find myself wanting something different each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back