Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Back at the office where it's 51° and supposed to get to 81° later with a 20% chance of some rain. Rain chance at 20% each of the next couple of days. Wish we'd actually get some, but not all at once. Got to be careful when pushing yard equipment over the back yard as the cracks in the soil catch the wheels if I'm not careful. about 2" wide and over a foot deep in much of it. I have sprinklers in the front that have kept most of that green, but nothing in the back.

Louis: I did a lot of the outside stuff to burn off the excess energy I had. I am paying for it today as I'm already on ibuprofen for the stiffness and aches. Forgot I had muscles in some spots.

Snowman: Very much sitting on my keister. Watch the first 5 episodes of Andor on Disney+ and the first episode of Rings of Power on Amazon.

I tend to be so busy when I pop in I rarely proof read, I am totally it sure it drives people mad, I apologise but it won’t improve my laziness, be grateful for auto correct or it would be even worse :D
It's not the proofreading nor the typos. ;)

It's the lack of RETURNS. That creates a wall of grey text, and I end up reading the same line three times, or skipping a couple of lines and having to backtrack to get the lines my eyes missed... That's why newsprint was always short paragraphs.

The white space helps keep the reader oriented.

Hit the return key twice in between thoughts to give us a chance to keep our place. I do enjoy your stories, but that wall of grey text can be easy to get confused in.

Good morning from the land of cheese. Are the weather folks paid to forget what they forecast the day or 2 before? 41 now heading maybe to 70, tomorrow maybe 75 when everyone and the apps was saying low to mid 60’s. At this rate the grass will need to be cut again!

Had the TV on in the cave with football on without sound most of the day. I’d watch between time in the trainroom. At 5:45pm when I sat down to truly watch I turned the red zone on with low sound to catch all the action on the remaining games. I knew I was bored and disinterested when a bit after 6 I started cutting the wires for tree armatures. I cut 360’ of 22 gauge for wire tree armatures into 2 sizes for 5” and 7” trees. I only cut 360’ because that’s all I had in inventory. Then got a shock when searching for florist wire or bead wire at Michael’s and the Hobby Lobby of lack resort. The prices have doubled and the amounts on a coil or paddle are much lesser amounts. I dislike HL for various reasons with their politics the least of my reasons but I may this morning buy from them for curbside pickup as they have 16, 22, 24 and 26 gauge wire in stock. I think I will try the 16ga to make Tom in cambria’s great looking re-bar flat car loads. I need to look at the discounts again. I did not watch the hockey games last night. Ended up on you tube videos about weathering.

enjoy the day

I tend to be so busy when I pop in I rarely proof read, I am totally it sure it drives people mad, I apologise but it won’t improve my laziness, be grateful for auto correct or it would be even worse :D
43607765-5309-4348-95D0-2B1A85206F71.jpeg

Morning folks!

We got a little bit of rain this morning, kinda dreary too. Cooler damp temps 44 degrees. Fall is definitely here. This past weekend went by fast. Got some things accomplished. I was able to help pops with filling the dumpster from the remnants of the July 7th tornado and storm. pretty much got it full and it will be the only dumpster we need. Next will be the metal recycle run. We probably have close to 2 tons (4k pounds) of that. A mix of steel, cast iron, aluminum and copper. Pops will be glad to rid of it and have the cash for brandy lol.

Also got their new TV setup for them as I mentioned before I was gonna do. He's happy with that. Showed him all the fancy things the smart tv can do etc. Hooked up his DVR, cable box and DVD player so that's all done.

I didn't get much done at my place as I spent most of it at my parents. I have3 major things on my list to try and tackle this week and this weekend coming up. Finish winterizing the boat and put that away, stack firewood by the garage and call the furnace man to come and service the furnace to change out the oil filter and such. Putting the boat away early is also a tough thing for me. It is my outlet to relieve stress but family needs come first. Some of you know I am hard core on my fishing but I usually keep my boat out until the 1st week of December before the lakes freeze. Oh well next season.

After that I can relax a little bit. I am still dealing with my baby sister's estate since her passing. My older sister has heart surgery on the 25th of October which has me on the worry wagon. To top it off pops has to go back for more testing for cancer. Blip on the blood work came back with some indicators. Ugh I don't know what to think about all that these days. Trying to live life and move forward one day at a time.

I am so looking forward to getting more time in the train room. I want to get some serious progress done on the layout. I have to spend maybe 2 solid days re-organizing and cleaning the room. Then I can start laying track. I will start with the yard 1st and I will be pulling up all my temporary EZ track up and storing that. It's time for that micro engineering track to go down!

I will be for the first time in years....... skipping deer hunting season this fall and winter. This another bummer but I gotta shift my focus. My focus has shifted to my family needs. I may sneak out if I have time but it will not be a priority this year. To much on my plate.

I have a few orders coming in this week which will be it for a while.....I think lol. There is a train show coming up this Sunday that I may go to....we will see.

Ya'll have a good day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 60° this morning, going for a high of 85° today. More of the same for another week. Happy Columbus Day, I'm sure some have the day off.

Yesterday ended up being household task day, with laundry and dishwasher chores. Outside I hauled firewood to the pile but did not stack it up yet. I also irrigated the tomatoes and peppers in the garden. Not a lot of work there, but it looks like a nice bumper crop of both coming up. When I returned from vacation a week ago, I noted that there were some dead tomato plants. Upon investigating, I found about a dozen plants out of nearly a hundred, were severed off about 6" above the base. I never had this happen before so it was time for some research. Several agricultural sites on the Internet suggested that it was either voles, rabbits of rats. No recent damage so maybe the problem resolved itself. Tomato plants are actually poisonous except for the tomatoes themselves.I know that it isn't rabbits as the garden fence keeps them away, and they nibble at ground level. I know that there are field rats occasionally on my property, but they tend to hang out up where the hay bales are stored, 500' away. From what I read, it definitely could be voles, although I can't tell by the pictures how to differentiate them from rats. Supposedly a spray made from hot peppers will repel them, so that is what I will try. Their natural predators are the usual, hawks, eagles, felines, canines or snakes. I have not sighted any predators this season except a few hawks, so that may be the issue. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any snakes. Rat snakes or chicken snakes are usually common here. It is however, that time of year when they head for their winter quarters, which in my case is under the floor of the barn; so I may spot a few in the upcoming month.

Headed out this morning for the quarterly doctor visit at 9:45. We both go. I don't have a clue where we'll stop on the way home, but we're fasting for blood draws, so I am sure wife will want coffee and a doughnut. Trouble is that she wants them from two separate places!:(

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's update; Troy, Joe, Louis, Tom O, Smudge, Rick, Hughie, Steve J, Alan, Patrick, IB Ken, Curt, James, Tom, George, Mikey, Guy.

Out in the train shed, I spent a little time adding parking lot stripes and vehicles to the Gemini Building, aka Sparky's and Newman's Appliances. I also put a pair of people on the street corner.
IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

Another problem that I sometimes have on the layout is using the re-positionable glue to attach figures. Occasionally they lean over.
IMG_2151.JPG

I re-did these two with Gorilla Superglue and added three additional figures to the right.
IMG_2152.JPG

Here is another example of the "lean" that I will fix today.
IMG_2156.JPG

Finally a better picture of the pregnant woman from yesterday. It also exhibits the "leaning" effect!
IMG_2146.JPG

Ken (D&J) - Congratulations on your membership acceptance. Nothing like a good operational session on a well built layout to show them that you are a serious modeler. Hope that their politics are not too onerous.
Steve J -
I keep reminding her that no matter how many birthdays come and go for her, she will never be as old as I am!
I have to keep reminding my wife that I will never catch up to her!
Alan - I don't do any passenger stuff, but I am really impressed with your detailing of the interiors of your passenger cars.
Ray - Good to see you again.
Louis - Randy Rhodes - What another name from the past. I had completely forgotten about him. Such a shame about the plane crash.

Lots more birthday's today; from music, David Lee Roth and Tanya Tucker; from sports, Brett Favre and Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning folks!

We got a little bit of rain this morning, kinda dreary too. Cooler damp temps 44 degrees. Fall is definitely here. This past weekend went by fast. Got some things accomplished. I was able to help pops with filling the dumpster from the remnants of the July 7th tornado and storm. pretty much got it full and it will be the only dumpster we need. Next will be the metal recycle run. We probably have close to 2 tons (4k pounds) of that. A mix of steel, cast iron, aluminum and copper. Pops will be glad to rid of it and have the cash for brandy lol.

Also got their new TV setup for them as I mentioned before I was gonna do. He's happy with that. Showed him all the fancy things the smart tv can do etc. Hooked up his DVR, cable box and DVD player so that's all done.

I didn't get much done at my place as I spent most of it at my parents. I have3 major things on my list to try and tackle this week and this weekend coming up. Finish winterizing the boat and put that away, stack firewood by the garage and call the furnace man to come and service the furnace to change out the oil filter and such. Putting the boat away early is also a tough thing for me. It is my outlet to relieve stress but family needs come first. Some of you know I am hard core on my fishing but I usually keep my boat out until the 1st week of December before the lakes freeze. Oh well next season.

After that I can relax a little bit. I am still dealing with my baby sister's estate since her passing. My older sister has heart surgery on the 25th of October which has me on the worry wagon. To top it off pops has to go back for more testing for cancer. Blip on the blood work came back with some indicators. Ugh I don't know what to think about all that these days. Trying to live life and move forward one day at a time.

I am so looking forward to getting more time in the train room. I want to get some serious progress done on the layout. I have to spend maybe 2 solid days re-organizing and cleaning the room. Then I can start laying track. I will start with the yard 1st and I will be pulling up all my temporary EZ track up and storing that. It's time for that micro engineering track to go down!

I will be for the first time in years....... skipping deer hunting season this fall and winter. This another bummer but I gotta shift my focus. My focus has shifted to my family needs. I may sneak out if I have time but it will not be a priority this year. To much on my plate.

I have a few orders coming in this week which will be it for a while.....I think lol. There is a train show coming up this Sunday that I may go to....we will see.

Ya'll have a good day.
Family is always first in my book. But, I have learned to create me time

Yes, that was a bit disappointing and there appeared to be quite a few branch lines too. I would say the tracks had come from some of the abandoned 24" guage sugar cane railways that used to line the Queensland coast at one time. There are still some left close to the City of Bundaberg, where they produce Rum. One of the towns north of me, Nambour, had an operating refinery until December 2003.
I got this video link from the club's weekly email newsletter and there were two photos of some of the power used, but would not let me copy them. One had a passenger cab of a boxy nature, probably carry 3 abreast, maybe room for more behind, or equipment. Had a large flat windscreen and short sloping nose for it's motor, with large side entrance openings which could be enclosed with roll up weather protection. Reminded me of an Eastern European "Lada" brand of 4WD and painted in yellow and black Zebra stripes. Presumably 4 wheel fixed driven. Couldn't tell. That had coupled to it's front a low sided flat tray wagon on 4 wheels. Then there was another that was smaller and mostly motor cabinet with an open operators seat at one end. This looked as though it had inherited an old 4 spoked wheeled chassis from a steam engine because they were coupled by a driving rod. Not surprising because steam power was used originally in the Cane fields.. Had an older male occupant sitting on that. The top of the cabinet was raised about 4-5 inches presumably for cooling and the whole unit was coupled to a work vehicle which was more of a flat open frame, double 4 wheel truck mounted construction. It carried by the look of it, an electrical supply box and a couple of jackhammers on a vertical frame. Couldn't see a compressor or generator. Maybe they were in the cabinet on the other vehicle although that didn't look really big enough. There were 4 other people about and a couple of largish sheds.

Family is always first in my book. But, I have learned to create me time

I am working on that me time....but at the moment it's limited. Yup family is what it is all about for me. In my life as I am not married with no significant other or children I do what I can and with what time my parents have left....I have a great relationship with them and it continues to grow each day. As for significant other, I have have dated earlier this year but that took a different direction with that lady unfortunately. Maybe somewhere down the road I will cross paths with an angel I can call my own. We shall see, it is not on top of my list at the moment. I just figure life will happen as nature takes it course.

Good morning y'all: 63° and mostly sunny. Perfect weather for Columbus Day.
There is no joy in Queens, or the Metropolitan Area segment that supports the Mets...They opted for an Early Tee time this morning, and failed to show up for last night's Wild card game... SD 6 - NYM 0. Do I shift loyalties to the Yankees, as they play the Cleveland Baseball Team, or the Phillies as they go up against the Atlanta Double Standard Baseball Team? Or do I just forget the whole thing and be thankful that Hockey starts tomorrow night?

I spent most of the weekend sleeping or napping on the recliner. Today, I feel well enough to venture down into the train room. I must get off my butt.

Diesel Powered Crusader @ 9th & Green Philadelphia - July 1950 Photo by Charles Freed.jpg

One of my favorites, the Crusader passing Green Street, on the Ninth Street Branch in Philadelphia.

I need your prayers and positive thoughts.

Last night my Mom called us after midnight, not good.
She was having pain in her back and tightness in her chest but did not want to call 911. By design we live less than 5 minutes from my Mom.

I took her to the emergency room; she was admitted immediately. Minutes later she was on her way to having a heart catheterization because the EKG showed she was having a heart attack. They did not expect her to survive the procedure or last the night if she did. I was sent home because she would be admitted to the ICU to recover if she survived.

During the early morning hours, I got two calls from the heart doctors. First call informed me, she has two blockages, 95% on the left side and 100% on the right side. They were unable to put a stent in as her arteries had hardened too much. My Mom's heart muscle was dying. She is too frail for more aggressive treatment.
The second call told me she was in the ICU and resting comfortably. I was told not to expect her to wake up in the morning. We went over our choices and options for what procedures we did and did not want to have done. I do not want anything done that would cause her to suffer more. I was told CPR would likely break all of her ribs.

My wife and I were told we would be permitted to see her before visiting hours at 8AM because it was, as they said, an end-of-life event.

When I got to her room the nurse told me she had woken up a few minutes ago and she was asking for a cup of black coffee. That sounds like my Mom! Each of the four doctors that came in were surprised to find her conscious, alert and communicating. Although she was a little groggy from all the medication.

She had me searching the Direct TV in her room for the MLB network and the channels that will carry the playoffs tomorrow. She knew what day it was, and she knew the games would be on tomorrow.

Her blood pressure is dangerously low and is being treated. One of the doctors has hope that the medication can be a bridge to allow her heart to recover enough that she may yet leave the hospital. It may be a hospice or a full care nursing home. If she is not suffering, I would love to visit her every day wherever she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back