Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hakko was a little more expensive than Weller, but it heats very fast and is easy to use.
This cheapskate is glad he bought it.

Back from the grandson’s hockey practice. Early because the SIL came over after soccer practice. Guests coming for a late dinner tonight. My grills are hot and ready. It seems this dinner went 8 to 12 while I was at hockey practice or and this might be possible, I wasn’t listening. I go with the change while I was gone no matter what Terry says!

Glad you mentioned that I actually am looking for a real good soldering station. What do you use? I am wanting to rid of my old iron and get something that controls heat better.

I know you didn't ask me but I bought a HAKKO digital station several years ago -- specifically FX888D though they make a bunch of models. I bought a bundle with some cutters and the bundle is now listed at $106 on Amazon.

I've used it for RC drones, DCC on trains, guitar wiring -- all sorts of things. Holds heat really well and has a wide temperature range.

I've not included a link as I am not shilling for them -- just a happy user.

That is what I use and mentioned in my reply before I read your reply. I've had mine 8 years and use it for all sorts of things. You can also by replacement tips in all sorts of configurations for whatever job you need -- Both HAKKO and 3rd party.

Good morning everyone,
Just checking in before heading to Prince Edward Island for the Thanksgiving weekend. Coffee and bagel please Flo before I hit the road.
My new email from Overland hobbies came today with some CN painted Alco RS3 preorders, do any of you run any Bowser units? If so, how do you find they run?

Morning all from the office computer or am I??? 🤣

52° and clear, although the wind out of the northeast is cool. High today of 64°.

Thanks for the tips on the metal buildings. It's downstairs in the train room and I haven't been down there in a couple weeks.
Upside to the wife losing her job is that I got a few goodies for making stuff, like some exacto knives and a another although smaller cut proof mat and 3/4 ream of card stock.

I am at home monitoring the backups. The large servers take about 48 hours to do the initial backups, and then everything additional (including new full backups), just take a couple hours or less. Gonna get a couple hours of OT just for monitoring from home.

Working Monday (US Federal Holiday) as at some point in the past, the city council decided to make us work on Columbus day, and give us the day after Thanksgiving instead. The other Federal holidays we don't do is Juneteenth, but that one is fairly new.

BBL

Arrrrggg! I hate trying to take care of business stuff at home.
I got a call from my dental coverage that my credit card information needs to be updated.
I go online to login but my username or password is not recognized.
I go to the next page to recover one or the other.
I need information from my ID card which is in my wallet out in the kitchen.
Still doesn't recognize my information.
Call help desk and go through a battery of questions, i.e. If you are experiencing a medical emergency ... (yeah, if I'm having a heart attack, I'm going to call my dental coverage provider), press 1 for list of providers, press 2 for this, press 3 for that, press 4 for dirty jokes, press 5 for change in weather forecast. Eventually it gets to what I need. I press 23 for help using web page. Click, click "Our office is currently closed...

That wouldn't be about certain pipeline that was canceled that would've helped with oil independence.
Well, it shouldn’t be. Said pipeline was only about 8% complete at cancellation. If it hadn’t been cancelled it was schedued to go online in late 2023, so it’s effect on prices at the pump here and now is exactly zero. Plus that oil still gets to market. Last, the oil comes from Canada, so I’m not sure how that would make us “oil independent“. If you’re importing you aren’t independent. Our problem with oil is we’ve always used more than we produce. Always. Energy independence is an interesting topic. You have to look into how it’s calculated and what it really means. Petroleum is only part of the picture. Here in the US we have some of the cheapest gas prices on the planet. You could be in Europe paying twice what we are. 🤷.
Afternoon all, just popping in on my lunch break and its still been a very busy week both here and at home. Willie opened a can of worms though and I had to vent. How is it that the banks are all profiting, corporations are all profiting....yet our savings as mentioned and the stock market is dropping ?
Ah free market Capitalism. It comes with ups and downs. They’re a feature, not a bug. 😊. We’ve had an unprecedented stint of low rates and “free money“. It wasn’t going to last forever. 🤷‍♂️ I’m down 20% in the 401k. It’ll come back, it always does, and it’s not as big a hit as I took in 2008, but it stings. For now, I’ve put off retirement for an additional year. At least business is booming.

Hello Happy Members !
I'm back and very very happy to be here again.
So, don't be too cruel with me and please don't spam me out !
Have a better day than ever !
CHRISTIAN (Professional account "nuker")

20211006_151957.jpg

20211004_142854.jpg

Hello Happy Members !
I'm back and very very happy to be here again.
So, don't be too cruel with me and please don't spam me out !
Have a better day than ever !
CHRISTIAN (Professional account "nuker")

View attachment 153100

View attachment 153101
Bergerac? Wasn't that a TV Detective series, set in Jersey? or are we now Cyrano de Bergerac, French novelist?
Either way, nice to see you back :D

So I stopped once again on the way home and got theses shots. This is a bridge that crosses the Upper Hudson River in Stillwater NY. It is an old D&H line now run by CSX. I have a question for ya'll. There is a flat car LOW centerbeam with post on the outside. Grey in color road name Norfolk Southern. What is this used for? I was thinking 🤔 slabs of granite or slate I am not sure.....???

Also notice the black gondola.... Reading & Northern.....

20221006_174359.jpg
20221006_174433.jpg
20221006_174346.jpg
20221006_174328.jpg
20221006_174315.jpg
20221006_174257.jpg
20221006_174250.jpg
20221006_173926.jpg
20221006_173909.jpg
20221006_174300.jpg

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 62° here on the SFW ranch. No real changes in the weather here, highs still in the 80's, lows in the 60's for a while.
Another ho-hum day here yesterday. The grocery trek went off without any issues, nothing broke at home and leftovers for supper.
Today I am going to try something different that I hadn't done in about 20 years, I am going to an estate sale where there is purportedly a large train collection. It's in a pretty prestigious part of Denton TX, but the picture look like it's exactly that, a train collection. Why not? I have to go back to town anyway to pick up a new chair for the train shed that wouldn't fit in the car yesterday.

I have a few comments regarding cryptocurrency, but not enough time to post them. I don't indulge though.

I managed to get some work completed out in the train shed yesterday, however I had to do some jury-rigging to accomplish what I set out to do.
First the easy part, I made, painted and added a full length sidewalk alongside the road on the right of the vacant lot.
IMG_2106.JPG

Then painted a parking lot. Here it is with the structure in place.
IMG_2119.JPG

I used a different concrete color this time to add some variety.
Then the tedious part of the day as I attempted to rehab the signs for this building.
IMG_2107.JPG

These are just standard Walther's signs that they provided in a number of kits in the 90's. I had partial duplicates and I was intending to just make new ones. The Sparky's Auto Parts worked out as planned. But part of the Newman's sign was missing.
IMG_2109.JPG

That meant reworking the old one instead of making a new one. One mounting pin is missing but that can be fixed, the upper one is short as well.
IMG_2111.JPG

Then disaster struck, the first decal disintegrated on me.
IMG_2113.JPG

OK, that's the far side and is not readily visible. So to avoid a similar situation on the visible side, I simply cut out the decal and glued it and the backing paper on the other side.
IMG_2112.JPG

Then I added a mounting peg on the wall.
IMG_2114.JPG

Looks OK from the closest viewpoint.
IMG_2120.JPG

Jerry - Welcome back you ole lost soul. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the layout.
IBKen - Interesting dinner. Congratulations again.
Patrick - I guess that your wife is older than I thought if she's applying for SS. The new deal actually sounds like it might be a good one if she takes it, despite the need for another car.
George - At least you can do some layout tasks after the surgery.
Todd - Quite a list. It should keep you occupied for a while.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning!

The rumor around here is that it's supposed to hit 70F in the sunshine. This is my favorite time of year!

Question - Are computers stupid? Or are the people who program them using the Hillbilly Pocket Dictionary to get them to know how to spell?
They always want a 'u' after an 'o' in a word. Like, 'rumor', 'favorite', and 'color'. According to my spelling catcher, I've just spelled all those words wrong, and they require a 'u' after the 'o'.
I know it's mindless conversation, but, I thought a computer might want to spell the way words are spelled in long in print dictionaries.

Back to the regular rail discussion programming.

Here's a picture of a locomotive that not only has a women engineer driving, but, a very, very pretty women. As it passed, I must have looked twice, because the wife noticed. To bad, I couldn't get a better photo of her.
CN 2806_ES44AC_10-06-2022.JPG

She parked those engines down it the yard, and went into the bunkhouse for coffee, I suppose. I actually got out of the truck to take this photo:
WtCrtYard_10-06-2022 (1).JPG

James - Thanks for posting those great photos. It's gonna take someone with more experience to answer the question about the centre-beam flats. I did notice the bridge, though. Dosen't seem like a-lot of paint was wasted on such a nice bridge. Can't say I've ever seen an unpainted bridge before.

Yesterday, I was messing around with a road and sidewalks for a-bit. Primed and painted the drywall mud road, then let it dry overnight.
I'm going to give the road another coat of paint this morning, and try to make some curved sidewalks.
I'm just playing in this photo, trying to see how it's all going to look:
Mainstreet_10-06-2022 (2).JPG

I'll be white-striping the road and weathering the sidewalks. All in due time.

Enough blabber. Time to get on with the show.
Have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back