Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Cloudy and cool in east central MN, 44° and heading for a high of 48.

Ken IB - congrads on the grandbaby!

Crypto - I think is a big scam. I have company in that statement with some very smart people, which does surprise me a bit. Hope the Govt doesn't buy in as some suggest. Something like "the King has no clothes"

Chad - house is really coming together, that is great!

Patrick - we have a similar dilemma, on how long I should work. If it means us replacing a vehicle due to all the miles, it may not be worthwhile economically, esp with gas so high and a 120 mile round trip commute. A job closer to home would mean half the paycheck and all the perks that go with a County job.

here is a shot from the old layout:

View attachment 153055

The B and O boxcar is on the layout for Louis! Probably wouldn't see one in Minnesota.

more later, Dave LASM
Thank you, I'm truly honored.

Good Morning!

Hopefully, it's going to be a quiet day for me today. Perhaps, just washing the boat and putting it up. Then, fiddling with the layout for a-bit.

IBKen - Another up and coming railroad modeller, eh! Congratulations!

I did manage some time on the layout yesterday. Tried building a section of 'Mainstreet' road. I thought it went rather well.
Here are a couple of photos of the process I chose to use:
View attachment 153053
View attachment 153054
The drywall mud should be set this morning. I'll check it out after coffee. If it's set, I'll sand lightly and prime it.
Then I suspect I'll be working on sidewalks today, or perhaps the road on the other side of the tracks.

Come the end of the month, I'll be busy helping my son move into the new/old house across the street. I'll also be helping the previous owners to move out. Not looking forward to that ordeal; I despise moving. It is what it is, though.

TomO - Is the 84 linear feet one straight run, or are you counting the sidings as well? Are you able to get the entire layout in a single photo and post?
My layout is only going to be 10'x12', which will only allow about a +/-50' loop. After I get the modelling well under way, I believe it will get boring very quickly.

Well, I suppose that's enough blabber, and the coffee cup is drying up. Time to get on with something.
Have a great day!
Guy, a few pictures from the archives of my photo library of the layout.
B26F83D7-5F8A-47E3-9EE2-376E94E5CB74.jpeg

The above picture is looking layout true east. Yes, that is the Papermill.

the 3 pictures below

Looking east over the chip pile towards the pulp yard. Beyond the pulp yard is my tree tunnel that folks online say is actually a tree alley?
F6784B84-7EB2-4E0D-A52F-D793BC447DF9.jpeg
4C65165A-B1C9-4127-9629-3F93E46ACE9A.jpeg

E4EC4369-2FD8-4D8C-83AE-3A1CACB2EB3C.jpeg

The white and black colored push pins are the end of the main. This is where I can put in the drop section to cross the aisle to the programming track for a Continuous running and staging access

below

Looking true north
E9E31127-EC31-437E-A081-36D1DCA83C6D.jpeg

Next is the north end of the papermill and the big aisle. The blue building at the far north end of the papermill shipping and receiving building is the biomass generator that converts refuse to steam to augment the power for the Papermill ( in theory anyway) This is a 2 year old picture before Covid as the flooring is now rubber 2x2 tiles
263C817B-FB42-4ADC-B911-5E57C76D2472.jpeg

I have to measure everything up as the dimensions off the original drawing are blurred and the memory is weaker

Well.....I made it back from lunch.....JPs Hobbies is still running 50% off. I managed to get more supplies in regards to materials, paint, tools, a building kit, one rolling stock car (covered hopper) and lots of Evergreen styrene.

I will take a picture tonight when I get home but here's the damage.....
20221006_131815.jpg

Last edited:
Well, to be truthful we both want a backhoe. You should see her run a skid steer - she can pick 1/2 inch off the ground and leave it flat! Great for rocks that we seem to grow. Better than I can do. Could not get her to sit and play with an excavator though. Her reasoning was 'ima already dizzy, so going around in circles is probably NOT the thing I want to do'.

Think that is bad/good? Got her a 16" chainsaw a couple of years ago for her birthday. Loved it. Now she wants a smaller one as she doesn't do so good holding the thing up in the air for those low hanging branches. Tried battery ones and found those to be a PITA. 12/14in small gas will be next. I have 2 36" so I still do the big stuff when needed.

Which reminds me. Our white/yellow pine(s) a looking to be dying. Most of the fronds/leaf's are turning brown near the top of the things and from what I have seen that is pretty much the end of them. Anybody know if there is something I can add to the ground around them to fix? Have 8 to 10 about 30ft that have this blight.

Later
I doubt it! We had Norway White Pine between the house and the road in Central Wisconsin. We got the Pine beetle bug that started the same as you are describing. I would call a arborist or at least a tree person. They will tell you right away. We lost every Norway Pine on 2 acres of road frontage because we waited too long to have someone look at them.

Maybe Dave can chime in as trees used to be his work!

Well.....I made back from lunch.....JPs Hobbies is still running 50% off. I managed to get more supplies in regards to materials, paint, tools, a building kit, one rolling stock car (covered hopper) and lots of Evergreen styrene.

I will take a picture tonight when I get home but here's the damage.....
View attachment 153066
Looks like you have lost you touch! Only $106.64! Congrats on great deals.

Maybe some online retail therapy to regain the touch…

Well, to be truthful we both want a backhoe. You should see her run a skid steer - she can pick 1/2 inch off the ground and leave it flat! Great for rocks that we seem to grow. Better than I can do. Could not get her to sit and play with an excavator though. Her reasoning was 'ima already dizzy, so going around in circles is probably NOT the thing I want to do'.

Think that is bad/good? Got her a 16" chainsaw a couple of years ago for her birthday. Loved it. Now she wants a smaller one as she doesn't do so good holding the thing up in the air for those low hanging branches. Tried battery ones and found those to be a PITA. 12/14in small gas will be next. I have 2 36" so I still do the big stuff when needed.

Which reminds me. Our white/yellow pine(s) a looking to be dying. Most of the fronds/leaf's are turning brown near the top of the things and from what I have seen that is pretty much the end of them. Anybody know if there is something I can add to the ground around them to fix? Have 8 to 10 about 30ft that have this blight.

Later
Todd -

My wife could run a skid steer as well! She helped me out in the woods for about 5 years and the Gehl 4635 was her machine. We had pallet forks and she would help sort the pulp and bolts, also a little with snow removal. We had a cab heater in there and put plexiglas on the sides for winter use. When we sold off the logging equip, due to the usual bad markets and low prices (that is a broken record) the skid steer went as well.

Funny story, on several occasions a mouse would run out from under the seat when she got in to start it. We had it parked in the woods on the logging site. She learned to pound on the machine a few times before getting in.

I wonder if the declining trees aren't bark beetles? Do you see any pitch accumulations, like small patches of pitch, on the bole of the trees? That would be the tree trying to "pitch out" the beetle that is burrowing in there. Don't think there is a cure, in Minnesota they tried bringing in "bait" trees, healthy cut down trees, to attract the beetles, which they would then drag off. Not sure if that worked.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores mainly inside today. In the train room I glued down the 4 sets of IR sensors, repaired some small ballast spots and added some details around the bridge and the other stand alone signals. Tomorrow I should have the bridge hooked up electrically.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

Joe- Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Chad- You'll be living in the house before you know it.

Jerry- Good to see you posting again.

IB Ken- Ah, family life! Congratulations on becoming a grandfather again and everyone is healthy.

Guy- Nice job on the road.

moermusic- Great catch.

Todd- It sounds like 3D printing may be your friend in this.

Dave- Nice layout shot. Remember, whatever you do there is a prototype someplace in the world for it.

TomO- Great layout photos.

James- My recent acquisitions are solder, shrink tubing, and resistors. Guess what I'm doing? 😂

Nothing is hooked up electrically/electronically yet. When the fascia is put back on I will need to cut a piece to protect the bridge from my elbow.:(
layout168.jpg

layout169.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Looks like you have lost you touch! Only $106.64! Congrats on great deals.

Maybe some online retail therapy to regain the touch…

TomO

I was tempted to buy more but I am trying to keep things in perspective. I mean I could buy a lot more to sell on ebay.....still thinking on that. I really got some good materials today after thinking about what I wanted to do on the layout etc. I surveyed my plans and buildings kits I have to determine my needs. He still has a ton of stuff there. I was surprised to see that much was still there. My only issue was as I mentioned before he has predominately north eastern RR and D&H. So that doesn't fit me and my layout. I did buy a few cars the last 2 visits before today. No locos though. Materials and building kits was my focus and I made out like a bandit on that! Tools too. Those darn Xuron cutters that are so expensive I bought 2 of them last time and bought one more today! 50% off. Well I will go back again I am sure for more materials. We will see. Not tomorrow though....I don't think. 🤔;)

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores mainly inside today. In the train room I glued down the 4 sets of IR sensors, repaired some small ballast spots and added some details around the bridge and the other stand alone signals. Tomorrow I should have the bridge hooked up electrically.

IB Ken- Ah, family life! Congratulations on becoming a grandfather again and everyone is healthy.

moermusic- Great catch.

Dave- Nice layout shot. Remember, whatever you do there is a prototype someplace in the world for it.

James- My recent acquisitions are solder, shrink tubing, and resistors. Guess what I'm doing? 😂

Nothing is hooked up electrically/electronically yet. When the fascia is put back on I will need to cut a piece to protect the bridge from my elbow.:(
View attachment 153074

View attachment 153075

Curt: I assume that you are talking about the frames for the cars? Looked into 3D and found that doing frames would be very time consuming and would also need some sort of stiffeners to keep the thing from twisting and/or bowing. Metal also gives me more weight abet maybe not enough so I still will have to add some to the inside of the tank body. Gonna be fun once I start down this road.

Have a 3D printer that I will put into use, probably for detail parts only. I thought about using the 3D for containers, but there again lots of time for things to go sideways. I can put my mill to work for those, I think, once side at a time; then glue them together.

Later

Well the network repair guys came by this afternoon and I am very unhappy. They did retrieve all the pictures as far as I can tell and happy for that, especially Terry’s stuff. But, now my contact list is completely gone and they tell me they might be able to get them back but want $$$$$ for that and no guarantee.

Gone for sure are any contacts added in 2021 and 2022, which happens to be all my weathering clients. Anything before 1/1/2021 is on a thumb drive here and I will be adding those contacts back tonight. Seems that’s about when we started experiencing backup issues that I never followed up on because I didn’t check. It just said back up completed. My fault but now I know better.

Since I basically use Facebook Messenger to communicate with clients I have no way to contact them.

James (Alcomotive) please send me a test message via FB Messenger, thanks.

I want to cry but it that won’t accomplish anything.

Afternoon All,

moermusic- Great catch.

View attachment 153074

View attachment 153075

Glad you mentioned that I actually am looking for a real good soldering station. What do you use? I am wanting to rid of my old iron and get something that controls heat better.

Your thoughts?

Well the network repair guys came by this afternoon and I am very unhappy. They did retrieve all the pictures as far as I can tell and happy for that, especially Terry’s stuff. But, now my contact list is completely gone and they tell me they might be able to get them back but want $$$$$ for that and no guarantee.

Gone for sure are any contacts added in 2021 and 2022, which happens to be all my weathering clients. Anything before 1/1/2021 is on a thumb drive here and I will be adding those contacts back tonight. Seems that’s about when we started experiencing backup issues that I never followed up on because I didn’t check. It just said back up completed. My fault but now I know better.

Since I basically use Facebook Messenger to communicate with clients I have no way to contact them.

Will do! 👍

Did you by any chance use FB messenger to talk to your clients, if so, you should be able to pick up a few clients from there.

Glad you mentioned that I actually am looking for a real good soldering station. What do you use? I am wanting to rid of my old iron and get something that controls heat better.

Your thoughts?
Not Curt but I will weigh in. Most of the stuff we solder for MRR is small wire. Sometimes you might do some brass sheet repair or the like. You can also solder stuff to rail. A general Solder Station will do good for ya. Weller has some in the $150 range, temp controlled and you can choose the type of tip to use. Spade for soldering a ...um... bigger area, point and sharp point for small(er) wire and circuit boards. Don't get rid of the 200 Watt gun type as sometimes you really need to heat stuff up. I have been using Weller for *years* and stuck with them. Note that they now are cheaper than ever - used to be you would spend $200/$250 for the WTPS series.

The best practice for good solder joints - Clean, clean, CLEAN; both joints and your iron's tip, then a good mechanical connection.

Weller WE1010A is on Amazon for $104. I got this one plus another cheapo ( Eastvolt digital for $46 ) just to see how it worked.

Later

Your thoughts?
This station completely changed my soldering experience. From tiny circuit boards to high amp large r/c battery connectors, it never skips a beat. One of the best investments I ever made hobby wise.

Since we're mentioning soldering...I have a metal building kit that mentions soldering the walls. Would you solder or use more modern glues?
Years ago I did a E.Suydam branch line roundhouse. All of it was metal. Once I figured out what I needed to do, it went pretty smooth and did not look too bad once done. As a note, I found a bunch of E.Suydam stuff in one of the train stores I visited, low and behold there were 5 or 6 of them in the lot. Got them for approx $10 per box. Lot was 30 some kits, most wood and plastic, some ( other than the roundhouses ) plastic and metal.

Soldering this stuff you want to use acid core solder with appropriate flux as even though the metal *looks* clean, it is not. Depending on the model, you might find that tacking pieces together 1st will help, then go back and finish the joint(s).

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back