Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

Hopefully, it's going to be a quiet day for me today. Perhaps, just washing the boat and putting it up. Then, fiddling with the layout for a-bit.

IBKen - Another up and coming railroad modeller, eh! Congratulations!

I did manage some time on the layout yesterday. Tried building a section of 'Mainstreet' road. I thought it went rather well.
Here are a couple of photos of the process I chose to use:
Mainstreet_10-05-2022 (1).JPG

Mainstreet_10-05-2022 (2).JPG

The drywall mud should be set this morning. I'll check it out after coffee. If it's set, I'll sand lightly and prime it.
Then I suspect I'll be working on sidewalks today, or perhaps the road on the other side of the tracks.

Come the end of the month, I'll be busy helping my son move into the new/old house across the street. I'll also be helping the previous owners to move out. Not looking forward to that ordeal; I despise moving. It is what it is, though.

my layout is a shelf 84 lineal feet long and runs great.
TomO - Is the 84 linear feet one straight run, or are you counting the sidings as well? Are you able to get the entire layout in a single photo and post?
My layout is only going to be 10'x12', which will only allow about a +/-50' loop. After I get the modelling well under way, I believe it will get boring very quickly.

Well, I suppose that's enough blabber, and the coffee cup is drying up. Time to get on with something.
Have a great day!

Slim to none. Then what's this about?

They're dead serious about it. Way too much money sitting on the tabletop to ignore.
Crypto IMO is worst then the stock markets. Government do need to get onboard to regulate and get their cut. The question is how do you regulate something that exists only in the ether? To me it’s very much a fraud thing waiting to happen.

The super rich love it but until they can show the proof that backs up the dollar amounts I refuse to get involved. Someone asked me why I didn’t help my son with his air taxi business. It’s because he is a crypto guy. If it’s so fricking great why does he need family money to help him. He has though sold off his crypto to do his air taxi bz with the help of his sister and cousin as partners. A few years ago he tried to get me into Crypto and I am not dumb, I even have a MBA but damn if I understood it then nor do I understand it now. Nor do I want to. The stock market is a crap shot that Terry is a marvel at, I suck at that too. Crypto to me is like the Commodities markets, hands off.

Good Morning!

Hopefully, it's going to be a quiet day for me today. Perhaps, just washing the boat and putting it up. Then, fiddling with the layout for a-bit.

IBKen - Another up and coming railroad modeller, eh! Congratulations!

I did manage some time on the layout yesterday. Tried building a section of 'Mainstreet' road. I thought it went rather well.
Here are a couple of photos of the process I chose to use:
View attachment 153053
View attachment 153054
The drywall mud should be set this morning. I'll check it out after coffee. If it's set, I'll sand lightly and prime it.
Then I suspect I'll be working on sidewalks today, or perhaps the road on the other side of the tracks.

Come the end of the month, I'll be busy helping my son move into the new/old house across the street. I'll also be helping the previous owners to move out. Not looking forward to that ordeal; I despise moving. It is what it is, though.

TomO - Is the 84 linear feet one straight run, or are you counting the sidings as well? Are you able to get the entire layout in a single photo and post?
My layout is only going to be 10'x12', which will only allow about a +/-50' loop. After I get the modelling well under way, I believe it will get boring very quickly.

Well, I suppose that's enough blabber, and the coffee cup is drying up. Time to get on with something.
Have a great day!
Guy. It’s 84’ of framework around 6 walls.

Photos, I can take some but its not possible in one picture. Thanks, I have been putting off drawing up the layout so besides weathering today something I can do between weathering sessions.

I can create a Continous loop by adding the drop section across the entrance aisle but very rarely do. I have 2- 3 track staging yards. Pictures in the next couple of days, I need to clean it up first

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° out on the porch this morning. Could hit 90° today after 87° yesterday. Ten day forecast is still the same until the 13th when it is supposed to rain.

Stayed busy around the homestead yesterday, Cut a large dead limb off a maple tree in the morning to start the pruning season and firewood supply for 2023. I still have to split some ash wood from the tree removed by the professionals last November. It was my day to do laundry and I repaired a leaking hot water faucet in one of the bathrooms. The faucet just needed some tightening up of the internal mechanism. I also seared the pork butt that marinated overnight for the Carnitas that went into the crock pot for a six hour cook. That turned out great - one can't grill every night.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, expecting a big list since I didn't go last week. The list actually has at least two dozen items already on it.

It seems that the sciatica issue that I have had since June is finally going away. The last few days, I am down to one Advil or Tylenol twice a day instead of handfuls at a time. It has never limited any motion, but certain movements were painful even with medication. I have been walking 1.25 miles a day since returning home from vacation instead of a mile.

No political ads here. I use Adblock plus and I get no ads except the book ones at the bottom of most pages. I click on some of them occasionally and remain on the ad for a few minutes so Bob can get a little revenue to maintain this site.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the newest plan presented yesterday; Guy, George, Gary, Smudge, Troy, James, Joe, Hughie, Louis, Curt, Chad, Patrick, Tom, Rick, Mikey, Moermusic. Always appreciated.

Unfortunately I was on the way out to the train shed yesterday, when one of my elderly neighbors stopped by. Never made it but it was a good visit. no photos of him, but I'll be back later with some more museum pictures from last month.

Dave B - I agree with you regarding updates to any and all electronic stuff. My phone always seems to be totally different with a dozen new apps and the old ones seem to move or change. The computer not so much since I still use Win10, and most of the Microsoft changes apply to Win11.
I respectfully disagree on the government encouraging people to invest in the stock market. It's one of those things that requires careful consideration. As a capitalist, I know that that's where the money is to be made, and also lost. I never had more than 30% of my retirement funds in the market, yet I made a lot except this year and 2009. Some years I only broke even though. Right now I have less than 5% in the stock market, yet I made over $1100 a day on Monday and Tuesday. Not really enough to cover the losses yet, but promising.
Guy - It's interesting about tank cars. Around here they usually don't have any graffiti on them at all. I attribute that to the fact that they are behind locked fences for both the loading and unloading processes, and also rarely dwell in yards or sidings long enough to be vandalized. Their construction may also have something to do with it.
George - Interesting about the Covid testing. Recently I had a stent put in and I did not have to go through any Covid test. However last winter my wife needed a test to have her knee replacement surgery. But it was done in a private room and there was only one other person in the hospital waiting room at the time.
Gary - No real answer to your question, but banks always make money. Part is mortgage loans. During the years of 0% Fed rates, they borrowed lots of money and then lent it back to home buyers for 4% or greater. They'll continue to make that spread in rates for years to come. Part is also the innumerable fees that they charge. I have it easy because I don't have a mortgage, I don't overdraft, and I have used the same small hometown bank for over 40 years. I also keep a lot of money there in money market funds and savings accounts, which they recognize and I get special treatment. Using the AMEX card as I do, means that I know how big that payment is going to be before I make it and I can transfer funds between accounts electronically before I make the CC payment to avoid the overdrafts. The earned interest on money market and savings bothers me, but I make it up elsewhere.
IBKen - Congratulations to you and your daughter.
Ken (D&J) - I always wished that I could trade my golf and bowling scores for each other. That's why I didn't continue either.

Gotta go and head to town for the groceries, and I haven't read all of the more recent posts. Be back later.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning to all! A far cry from the last 2 days in the 70’s where today we might hit 62, tomorrow’s projection is 49F degrees for the high.

Today is weathering at the bench, cleaning the layout and starting the creation of a track plan. I have completed my outdoor activities except for one final cutting depending on Mother Nature. The lawn service will do a aeration of the grass and I like to cut the grass one time after that. But, we have had snow in past Octobers that have prevented that last cut. Once it snows the mowers are cleaned, drained and stored away for the season.

I have FAMILY duty this afternoon from 4:30 till 7 when I take Mr. Hockey to his 1st practice for his new Squirt team. After 3 weeks and 9 (yep 9) try out sessions they have picked this season’s teams. His mom has to take the daughter to her exercise/therapy class and dad is coaching the son’s soccer practice. IMO still to much for a 8 year old grandson soon to be 9 next month. His parents do not seemed concerned about burnout!

enjoy the day

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those still in lockdown in the basement cave.

It's Troy again.

Went out and sat on the patio for about half an hour yesterday. (I think I mentioned my test was still positive.)

And two of my gamer friends who attended the Michigan convention in Lansing have come down with the Coof, and another one (who works in a middle school) has a tummy bug. I roomed with him in Michigan, so if I was contagious, he'd probably have it. But...

Our goal is to keep my wife from catching it until I get a clear test. with one of us out of circulation, the other has to be on duty to help the mothers as needed.

Tonight, I'll mask up, and go hit Culver's drive-through for burgers and onion rings. Then we'll take advantage of the last day of temps in the 70s for a patio dining experience. Weekend is dipping to highs in the 50s, so our sit-and-talk time might include bundling up until I get a clear test.

As for 3D printing railroad stuff... yes, it's possible. And there are pleanty of decent files out there. Some are free to download, others might cost a few dollars for the file.

An FDM printer is probably the best to start with for structures, cars, and loads. Prusa printers are top-line amateur use. But Ender 3 or various clones are easy to use, and have tons of YouTube videos. Though when they clog, it seems like you need an engineering degree to figure out why. However, it's almost always doing some simple maintenance and re-level the print bed.

Here's my Elegoo Neptune 2 making bases for miniature wargame pieces.
310963955_5558854344181694_647743419741276787_n.jpg

Entry point for a decent printer in this range is $200 to $500. You don't need much beyond a bunch of filament. That's about 15 to 20$ a roll (buy in bulk - I get the 10 pak to save $)

Edit: Here's a link to a good search engine for 3D files. Type in the term, and it looks at all the good file repositories.

George - Interesting about the Covid testing. Recently I had a stent put in and I did not have to go through any Covid test. However last winter my wife needed a test to have her knee replacement surgery. But it was done in a private room and there was only one other person in the hospital waiting room at the time
I live in NY Willie. Everything goes to the exstream here.

Just got back from my lens implant surgery. What different it makes. Everything is nice and clear in my left eye now. It takes 12 weeks to fully heal though. They say the track I ordered is out for delivery. I'll be installing that tonight. I don't have to twist my head for that. I called Logic Rail yesterday. I had some questions about the bell and whether it would work with their first green grade crossing boards. They said not only with their new boards the red ones. I'll be ordering some of these new boards to install in a month when my eye is somewhat healed.
George

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° out on the porch this morning. Could hit 90° today after 87° yesterday. Ten day forecast is still the same until the 13th when it is supposed to rain.

Stayed busy around the homestead yesterday, Cut a large dead limb off a maple tree in the morning to start the pruning season and firewood supply for 2023. I still have to split some ash wood from the tree removed by the professionals last November. It was my day to do laundry and I repaired a leaking hot water faucet in one of the bathrooms. The faucet just needed some tightening up of the internal mechanism. I also seared the pork butt that marinated overnight for the Carnitas that went into the crock pot for a six hour cook. That turned out great - one can't grill every night.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, expecting a big list since I didn't go last week. The list actually has at least two dozen items already on it.

It seems that the sciatica issue that I have had since June is finally going away. The last few days, I am down to one Advil or Tylenol twice a day instead of handfuls at a time. It has never limited any motion, but certain movements were painful even with medication. I have been walking 1.25 miles a day since returning home from vacation instead of a mile.

No political ads here. I use Adblock plus and I get no ads except the book ones at the bottom of most pages. I click on some of them occasionally and remain on the ad for a few minutes so Bob can get a little revenue to maintain this site.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the newest plan presented yesterday; Guy, George, Gary, Smudge, Troy, James, Joe, Hughie, Louis, Curt, Chad, Patrick, Tom, Rick, Mikey, Moermusic. Always appreciated.

Unfortunately I was on the way out to the train shed yesterday, when one of my elderly neighbors stopped by. Never made it but it was a good visit. no photos of him, but I'll be back later with some more museum pictures from last month.

Dave B - I agree with you regarding updates to any and all electronic stuff. My phone always seems to be totally different with a dozen new apps and the old ones seem to move or change. The computer not so much since I still use Win10, and most of the Microsoft changes apply to Win11.
I respectfully disagree on the government encouraging people to invest in the stock market. It's one of those things that requires careful consideration. As a capitalist, I know that that's where the money is to be made, and also lost. I never had more than 30% of my retirement funds in the market, yet I made a lot except this year and 2009. Some years I only broke even though. Right now I have less than 5% in the stock market, yet I made over $1100 a day on Monday and Tuesday. Not really enough to cover the losses yet, but promising.
Guy - It's interesting about tank cars. Around here they usually don't have any graffiti on them at all. I attribute that to the fact that they are behind locked fences for both the loading and unloading processes, and also rarely dwell in yards or sidings long enough to be vandalized. Their construction may also have something to do with it.
George - Interesting about the Covid testing. Recently I had a stent put in and I did not have to go through any Covid test. However last winter my wife needed a test to have her knee replacement surgery. But it was done in a private room and there was only one other person in the hospital waiting room at the time.
Gary - No real answer to your question, but banks always make money. Part is mortgage loans. During the years of 0% Fed rates, they borrowed lots of money and then lent it back to home buyers for 4% or greater. They'll continue to make that spread in rates for years to come. Part is also the innumerable fees that they charge. I have it easy because I don't have a mortgage, I don't overdraft, and I have used the same small hometown bank for over 40 years. I also keep a lot of money there in money market funds and savings accounts, which they recognize and I get special treatment. Using the AMEX card as I do, means that I know how big that payment is going to be before I make it and I can transfer funds between accounts electronically before I make the CC payment to avoid the overdrafts. The earned interest on money market and savings bothers me, but I make it up elsewhere.
IBKen - Congratulations to you and your daughter.
Ken (D&J) - I always wished that I could trade my golf and bowling scores for each other. That's why I didn't continue either.

Gotta go and head to town for the groceries, and I haven't read all of the more recent posts. Be back later.
Everybody have a great day.
Mom and Dad lost over a quarter million following the advice of their expert. It was money Mom inherited in about 1999 and she could only be a "long haul" person as she was in it for the long haul. Unfortunately, it was hauled the wrong way.

They are both passed away now, however I learned their lesson. Good for those who come out on top! They got some of our inheritance.

Good morning! Almost 11:00 am EST here......few minutes shy of it.

I am back in the office today with an ulterior motive once again beside work.....😁

Yup I am going to hit JPs Hobbies again today to see if there is another price drop and get more building materials and other deals. We shall see what I walk away with today at lunch time. Maybe he is down to 75% off? who knows... I will leave early to get in there as it opens at noon.

Yesterday my (2) Bluford Shops caboose came in. I got another Union Pacific (yellow) transfer caboose and another MOPAC red with the 'Buzz Saw" logo. The MOPAC is a transfer caboose as well which is also weathered by the previous owner. I am not sure if I like the weathering work. I may ask TomO to take a look at it. We will see. I think it may need a little more work.

I also got my hobby "chopper" from Micro-Mark yesterday as well. It will come in handy this winter.

What else? Oh yes I got a used ES44AC GEVO in the Union Pacific livery with the Building America logo which was one reason I wanted it but also it was weathered nicely. LEDs were added and so was a Tsunami2. This locomotive started out as a Athearn Genesis 1st release. I couldn't resist the price $160 even though it comes with risks but this was a reputable seller. End results thus far I am pleased with the purchase no damages or broken parts or missing parts. I will be posting it later on the JR's UPRR thread later along with a few other goodies.

So I was perplexed with the new GEVOs lettering and such. I researched a little bit and thought to share a little of what I learned. I was getting frustrated with searching ES44AC on the RR Archives for pictures and then I found that Union Pacific calls them differently "C45ACCTEs" and I didn't understand until now.

The UP's GEVOs are actually designated "C45ACCTEs" rather than "ES44ACs"

The CTE or "controlled tractive effort" feature unique to UP's locos. What does the CTE feature do in actual operation of the locomotive and train handling? So this is what I learned as well.

UP chooses to class the GE ES44AC as "C45ACCTE". Likewise, the AC4400CW was C44AC and the AC4400CW-CTE is classed as C44ACCTE.
Currently UP is the only railroad who uses the CTE software. The older model AC4400CW's (C44AC's) are being upgraded with the CTE software and reclassed C44ACCTE's as well.

Simply put, the CTE software is used to reduce the tractive effort of the locomotive when it is used as a DPU in mixed freight type service. The higher tractive effort of the AC units when mid train or on the rear can be too much for the lighter trains. This is not necessarily the case in bulk commodity service though, such as unit coal or grain trains.

Then someone chimed in on a board with this info as I am assuming he is an engineer...

"The explanation above is basically correct. To add on to that, I have had only one CTE train before, and manifest with DP. The rear DP unit was limited to a maximum of only 100K traction effort. I have had bulk trains in DP running under full tractive effort show 160K tractive effort before, so it does limit them substantially. The reason being, that they don't want to pop one of the light cars out in the middle of the train like a zit. On bulk trains, where the consist is fairly uniform, it's not that big of a deal."

I researched a bit more and it has been explained to me this way....

As stated already, CTE basically reduces the amount of tractive effort the locomotives can put out, without sacrificing dynamic braking. The UP SSI (System Special Instructions) says units are limited to 110K in tractive effort when in CTE.

An example given to me:

Standard manifest trains can have 23 axles of power pushing on the rear of a train. If you have two C45AC-CTE's (or C44AC-CTE's) at 12 axles of power per unit, then you would have 24 powered axles. That is obviously too much. The solution is to link up the DPU power in CTE mode. This reduces the axles of power from 12 to 11 on the DPU linked helper unit. With the 12 axles of power from the other unit on the rear, this leaves 23 axles of power pushing on the rear. Now you are good to go, and you did it without sacrificing any dynamic braking, which remains the same whether linked in CTE or FTE (full tractive effort).

All of this aside, a new plan is coming with the issuing of a new SSI. (back in 2008) Somehow they have figured out new ways to cram even more tonnage on trains, while still making them legal. Yet to be determined and understand how this is done on this issue.

So I have a bit more researching to do to fully understand the evolution of the technology on these GEVOs and newer locos. If any of you have more knowledge to expand on this I am all ears. Thank you.

Some may ask why do I care I just like to know this stuff lol. Some will ask what era do I model. I am not stuck in an era for my modeling and my layout. Although I am predominantly Union Pacific and that what I like it's my RR right? I do however acquire other road names at times. lol As I mentioned in my thread on JR's UPRR I do have a make believe interchange with ASAB in the south and GBW and TM&W in the north. I also have a lot of the fallen flags that UP has acquired as well.

Catch ya'll later when I get back from JP's Hobbies after lunch!

Good Morning All!
40F in Libby

Well, I have sifted all the stuff I need to do down to a manageable ...um... list. Most important at the top of course as is the HoneyDu stuff. Here is a partial if you are interested.

Living room Pellet stove - feeds, no flame.
Drive line install in Edge - I guess not that important, but needs done before snow.
RV heater/furnace and water. - Wife wants to rent, so they need something for heat. Have water running under the sink when turned on.
RV weatherization - Kid that did it last year did not have a clue, so fix it.
Electrical fix in train cave - got 18 of those 'garage style' LEDs ( 4 petals each ) to be installed. 4ft fluorescent need to go away.
Electrical fix in train cave - 240V needs to be put in conduit - ima gonna cheat on this one, PVC and hide the seams.
Web site(s) need updated, some new code.
Set up big tools in shop for use - this is gonna take some cleaning around them 1st.
Need the dust collector plumbed. Have some galvi, need a tad more.
Table saw needs a table so I can handle 8ft sheets of ply. Want table I can roll around, same for the Planer.

Most of the above is pretty much easy, just takes time. Web site stuff is ongoing so no biggie there.
Wife also wants Truck/Trailer/Backhoe - have been looking at that.
Garage floor *could* be done before winter, framing probably not.
Bunch of little stuff that is more of a PITA than work.

Later

Good Morning All!
40F in Libby

Well, I have sifted all the stuff I need to do down to a manageable ...um... list. Most important at the top of course as is the HoneyDu stuff. Here is a partial if you are interested.

Living room Pellet stove - feeds, no flame.
Drive line install in Edge - I guess not that important, but needs done before snow.
RV heater/furnace and water. - Wife wants to rent, so they need something for heat. Have water running under the sink when turned on.
RV weatherization - Kid that did it last year did not have a clue, so fix it.
Electrical fix in train cave - got 18 of those 'garage style' LEDs ( 4 petals each ) to be installed. 4ft fluorescent need to go away.
Electrical fix in train cave - 240V needs to be put in conduit - ima gonna cheat on this one, PVC and hide the seams.
Web site(s) need updated, some new code.
Set up big tools in shop for use - this is gonna take some cleaning around them 1st.
Need the dust collector plumbed. Have some galvi, need a tad more.
Table saw needs a table so I can handle 8ft sheets of ply. Want table I can roll around, same for the Planer.

Most of the above is pretty much easy, just takes time. Web site stuff is ongoing so no biggie there.
Wife also wants Truck/Trailer/Backhoe - have been looking at that.
Garage floor *could* be done before winter, framing probably not.
Bunch of little stuff that is more of a PITA than work.

Later

Todd - your wife wants a backhoe? Sounds like I married the wrong woman!

I have backups moving!!!Now I just have to wait for the resources to be able to run more. 9 total servers, 1 complete, 3 in process, 5 to go. The 5 are the smallest use, like web servers that are access points into our network. I actually could lose 1 or 2 and still have copies that can be placed online if needed.

We figure it will be after Thanksgiving before the church can be ready to setup their daycare. They are starting from scratch. Lots of new regs that didn't apply to the old one.

Slim to none. Then what's this about?

They're dead serious about it. Way too much money sitting on the tabletop to ignore.
Woah! Didn't think ole Joe B was going to go that path. Congress was moving toward regulating these currencies in a manner similar to other commodities, maybe that's why he's going the XO route...or I've been reading false and misleading news coverage. Never know any more. eh?

Todd - your wife wants a backhoe? Sounds like I married the wrong woman!
Well, to be truthful we both want a backhoe. You should see her run a skid steer - she can pick 1/2 inch off the ground and leave it flat! Great for rocks that we seem to grow. Better than I can do. Could not get her to sit and play with an excavator though. Her reasoning was 'ima already dizzy, so going around in circles is probably NOT the thing I want to do'.

Think that is bad/good? Got her a 16" chainsaw a couple of years ago for her birthday. Loved it. Now she wants a smaller one as she doesn't do so good holding the thing up in the air for those low hanging branches. Tried battery ones and found those to be a PITA. 12/14in small gas will be next. I have 2 36" so I still do the big stuff when needed.

Which reminds me. Our white/yellow pine(s) a looking to be dying. Most of the fronds/leaf's are turning brown near the top of the things and from what I have seen that is pretty much the end of them. Anybody know if there is something I can add to the ground around them to fix? Have 8 to 10 about 30ft that have this blight.

Later

Anyone paying 6% for a normal merchant account gets what they deserve. (Unless it is a specific market segment considered risky -- each market segment has its own tiers and fees etc. and I can imagine certain businesses have to pay that much).

As a normal "merchant" (sporting goods) the most I paid was about 3.5% plus a 10 cent swipe fee. Square was charging around 3.5% for card-not-present (online, phone) but had no monthly account fees etc. Their swipe fee was mid 2% (2.5/2.6% or so as JeffH mentioned).
Lots of suckers Chad. "Yeah. I can accept credit cards!" All fees must be computed into overall cost.
I'm being harsh. Many of my clients are excellent at what they do, but many hate the accounting side and other aspects.
For example, trucking companies, they love thier trucks. Many hate accounting and a few have no clue about cost per mile.
Same thing goes for most any kind of business, regardless of what the do.

It's can be easy to make money and just as easy to lose it in the details.
There is always an unscrupulous accountant/merchant/vendor or whatever willing to take too much for too little.

Woah! Didn't think ole Joe B was going to go that path. Congress was moving toward regulating these currencies in a manner similar to other commodities, maybe that's why he's going the XO route...or I've been reading false and misleading news coverage. Never know any more. eh?
On the exchange side of the eventual transition, most people have no idea if they will get a equal value of CC.
Gold is the standard. Figure from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back