Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to put a pause on my grade crossing projects today because I'm going in for eye lens surgery tomorrow. Per instructions I have to keep my head level for a month. No bending over twisting my head under the layout. All these projects are out for a while until my eye heals up. I also can't lift anything over 10 lbs that may cause a spike in blood pressure. It's going to be a sit at my work bench type projects for a while. Maybe weathering some rolling stock, I'll continue the grade crossing installs in a month. I have to spend the day doing all my home projects that require heavy lifting because that's out starting tomorrow.
George
Just follow orders. The trains will be there

Good morning all,

About the same as yesterday this morning, looking at a noticeable drop in temps coming tomorrow so plan on changing oil in Suburban after work today.

Patrick - updates even a pain in the ass with my little smart phone. All of a sudden there is new stuff I don't know what to do with, so what if I can make my own imoji. I think that was my last update. I suppose behind the scenes stuff, too.

Those big tech companies have to make money, charge us more, pretend they are adding value.

Not much news this morning, will be back later, Dave LASM

Sometimes when you get what you wish for, it doesn’t always work out. Good morning from place in So. Central Wisconsin that I was told on the drive from Illinois we are home temporarily!

I hit the sack at 12:05AM and promptly fell to sleep. At 12:45AM popped up wide awake as though I just took a great nap. Was still awake at 3! So much for wanting my own bed.

1st thing, at 9 Terry made appointments yesterday for our flu shots. It is a 5 minute drive to the Clinic, at most 10 minutes inside and 5 minutes back home. The lab at our local Clinic is super efficient.

Then I have to put away the lawn art and the furniture on the south deck and north porch. A few more outside chores and I can get to the weathering bench and the layout. Terry asked on the drive home when will your weathering projects be done. I am slow and told her that so no definite date. She wants to head to the place on Mauii, I definitely do not! My sister is coming back here on Saturday and the friends driving her will leave us on Monday. They are heading to friends in Northwestern Wisconsin. I will call this afternoon to the 3 corporate groups that we use to fly on. Terry wants to leave by Wednesday next week. So her and my sister can fly out for a couple weeks. I will go for the talked about “maybe we go out for Thanksgiving trip” but unless my mind is changed, not before. I do not enjoy the islands as much as my brother, my sister or my wife. Too boring IMO. I don’t want to play golf everyday, like the brother, I will not surf with the sharks and whales and I don’t enjoy horse riding like my wife. The island is not huge and cultural entertainment is lacking.

Oh well, very happy to be home

Good Morning!

The first day staying home after 5 days on the lakes, fishing. Today won't exceed 50F, so I don't want to go out there again until it warms up.
I'll be washing and packing up the boat for winter today. Trading off the summer-time rods for ice-fishing gear. Those days are coming sooner than I want.

Willie - Thank you for taking time to find and post the roadway ideas. I appreciate that very much. Using 8' lanes on my main street will free up another 1/2" of space. That's a lot in HO scale.

Curt - The dog would rather be in the forest chasing squirrels. Then again, if she can't chase squirrels, she'd rather be in the boat than sitting in the backyard while we're off fishing.

James - I'll rarely watch a video that is more than 10 minutes long, but, watched the whole video that you posted. I found it interesting. Thanks for putting it down.

DaveB - I don't have a smart phone; just the old-style flip phone with no data. My idea is, I can make a phone call, and people can call me. The last thing I need, is to be walking around with a complicated mobile computer to befuddle my thoughts, and give me another big monthly bill.
I say, dam the I-phone. It's a brain altering contraption.

Here's a couple of rail photos I took last week.
CN WtCrt Staging_09-28-2022 (1).JPG

I believe the graffiti on this tankcar was painted over. They seem to do that on tank cars, but not boxcars so much.
CN WtCrt Staging_09-28-2022 (2).JPG

Well folks, that's all I have for today. Have a good one!

I was going to post a photo of the other 'Guy' in the boat, since I posted one of my wife yesterday. After 2nd thoughts, though, I decided against it. The story of the old man in a boat has already been written.

I thought this site was non-political? I've started to get all sorts of political ads (instead of ladies underwear, cars, and the like)...

Anyway, up early again, but not as early as yesterday, to take my daughter to her HS Swim Team "dryland" conditioning practice. And doing work work until my meeting in 75 minutes. AFter that the wife and I are off for a couple hours to a local church service. And then back to work work as well as an hour or so on the house with my son since he works evenings at UPS so I get his time over "lunch". Wife's day off is today so I don't pick up the daughter from school

Framers got a good start yesterday on the basement bearing walls.

IMG_6178.jpegIMG_6175.jpegIMG_6174.jpeg

B
I have to put a pause on my grade crossing projects today because I'm going in for eye lens surgery tomorrow. Per instructions I have to keep my head level for a month. No bending over twisting my head under the layout. All these projects are out for a while until my eye heals up. I also can't lift anything over 10 lbs that may cause a spike in blood pressure. It's going to be a sit at my work bench type projects for a while. Maybe weathering some rolling stock, I'll continue the grade crossing installs in a month. I have to spend the day doing all my home projects that require heavy lifting because that's out starting tomorrow.
George
But, but, but I wanna see how the grade crossing works, NOW!
Just kidding George.
I looked at the web sight and decided that's what I'm looking for. I placed an order for a system for two tracks.

Well, howdy there internet people, and those locked in the dungeon, like me.

Mostly symptom-free from the coof... but not quite.

My doc is out, so with some emailing back and forth to the coverage doc, we decided to start me on Paxlovid due to risk factors. Before starting it this morning I had to pull some allergy pills and my anti-cholesterol meds out. Skipping those for 8 days (5 with the Paxlovid +3 more). I did a test to see, and I'm still positive.

CDC says 5 days after positive test/onset of symptoms. We're still not sure if my cold last week was part of this? So I tested to see if I was negative. DRAT. If I were negative, that would have meant false negatives last week and no use starting the Pax since it needs to be in the first five days to have an impact.

So, started the Pax. Three pills in the morning, and three in the evening. Five days total.

I'll try another test on Friday. Once I hit a negative, I can rejoin the wife upstairs.

Laundry needs to be done, but I'm holding out til Friday in hopes of a negative test.

Today, I must write. But I've been working on gaming hobby to clear some of it off my hobby table. However, those projects always seem to grow. I have more 3D resin on order, hopefully arriving today. So I wanted to clear the old resin. It works on larger models. Not smaller ones. So I found several models to print. Then some more. I ended up generating about two more weeks of painting with all of the models printed just to use up resin I wasn't happy with.
Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 9.10.47 AM.png

I figured my guesstimate of percentage reduction poorly, and the rock dude on top is too short for the actual game. Therefore, I need to add a "tactical" rock for him to stand on. Well, my other attempt at scaling was still off... so I decided to use the parts from fail #2 to make the rock. Really gives meaning to "The hills are alive with the..." phrase. ;)

I thought this site was non-political? I've started to get all sorts of political ads (instead of ladies underwear, cars, and the like)...
Unfortunately, the next several weeks are going to all political. And Google Ad Sense or whichever distribution site the forum uses will pumping those political ads non-stop

Don't worry. Your scantily-clad young women will return after election day.

Don't worry. Your scantily-clad young women will return after election day.

Who said the women's underwear ads were scantily clad and young? They were more middle aged and not wearing lingerie. At least not the scant sort.

The political ad they ran was funny (and local) but it struck me as funny to get them on this forum. After I posted this they went away despite being there for several pages/screen refreshed of the forum before I commented on them.

B

But, but, but I wanna see how the grade crossing works, NOW!
Just kidding George.
I looked at the web sight and decided that's what I'm looking for. I placed an order for a system for two tracks.
Ken did you buy one or two. You'll need two if you're planning on a 2-track system. I already had it working. I dismantled both crossing last year with my layout renovation. I'm ordering one more today with an additional bell circuit board.
George

Well, howdy there internet people, and those locked in the dungeon, like me.

Mostly symptom-free from the coof... but not quite.

My doc is out, so with some emailing back and forth to the coverage doc, we decided to start me on Paxlovid due to risk factors. Before starting it this morning I had to pull some allergy pills and my anti-cholesterol meds out. Skipping those for 8 days (5 with the Paxlovid +3 more). I did a test to see, and I'm still positive.

CDC says 5 days after positive test/onset of symptoms. We're still not sure if my cold last week was part of this? So I tested to see if I was negative. DRAT. If I were negative, that would have meant false negatives last week and no use starting the Pax since it needs to be in the first five days to have an impact.

So, started the Pax. Three pills in the morning, and three in the evening. Five days total.

I'll try another test on Friday. Once I hit a negative, I can rejoin the wife upstairs.

Laundry needs to be done, but I'm holding out til Friday in hopes of a negative test.

Today, I must write. But I've been working on gaming hobby to clear some of it off my hobby table. However, those projects always seem to grow. I have more 3D resin on order, hopefully arriving today. So I wanted to clear the old resin. It works on larger models. Not smaller ones. So I found several models to print. Then some more. I ended up generating about two more weeks of painting with all of the models printed just to use up resin I wasn't happy with.
View attachment 153013
I figured my guesstimate of percentage reduction poorly, and the rock dude on top is too short for the actual game. Therefore, I need to add a "tactical" rock for him to stand on. Well, my other attempt at scaling was still off... so I decided to use the parts from fail #2 to make the rock. Really gives meaning to "The hills are alive with the..." phrase. ;)

Troy,

I keep on forgetting about you and the passion you have for this gaming stuff. My nephew, Ethan as I have mentioned before in the coffee shop a few times is an accomplished writer and has been published 9 times. Books (5) and short stories (4).

He just got interviewed by DMR Books recently. He is only 23 years old. Working on his Masters at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia, Canada. He graduates in January. Here is his link to the interview.

I thought you may like this.

James

Ken did you buy one or two. You'll need two if you're planning on a 2-track system. I already had it working. I dismantled both crossing last year with my layout renovation. I'm ordering one more today with an additional bell circuit board.
George
The web page said there was an additional extender board for two tracks. I presumed that was all that was needed to make it a two track system.

Good Morning All. It's clear here and 59°. It's been great sleeping with the windows open since the vacation return. Still having to turn the A/C on for about two hours every evening, but that's acceptable.

I had a busy day yesterday on several fronts. I spent about an hour cutting and trimming a 6 lb. pork butt into 3/4" cubes to dry marinate overnight in a cumin/oregano/garlic/jalapeno/salt mix. Today it goes into the slow cooker for 6-8 hours to make a batch of Carnitas.
I then ran the dishwasher and washed the bed linens to get the house in order.
Later I drove to Dallas and back to retrieve my wife from the emergency babysitting chore that she's been at since Saturday.
I called the propane delivery company yesterday, hoping to get a delivery later this week. What a surprise to see the man pull in the driveway less than two hours later. Filled the tank to 85% capacity; always leave some air space for expansion. 105 gallons @ $2.75/gal will last for about 20 months, since I only use it for the range/oven. Been using this propane company for 45 years; I get a free calendar every year and they maintain my tank free of charge about every five years. Only one month in the last three years has the price been cheaper.
Speaking of prices, gasoline went from $3.09/gal on Monday to $3.29/gal on Tuesday.
After that, we went to eat at our favorite Italian restaurant.

Thanks to all who liked of commented on the photo essay of some of my various roads; Smudge, Dave (PV), George, Chad, Troy, Gary, James, Tom O, Dave B, Hughie, Curt, Louis, IB Ken, Mikey, Joe, Tom, Patrick, Guy.

I made it out to the train shed late yesterday afternoon and mostly ran a few locals. I think that I have settledd on a structure to go on that vacant corner next to the 7-11 store that I was doing last month. It is an already constructed structure that I removed from downtown Ft Wish when settling on a plan there.
IMG_2100.JPG

The structure is a DPM model known as The Gemini Building. Here is a close up in it's old location.
09-13-14 009.JPG

There is an appliance store on the right, and an auto parts store on the left. The door in the center leads to a dance studio on the second floor. The structure right now is in for some rework, as the signs were removed for improvement; the decals disintegrated. It will fit better in it's new location in a small town, than the downtown spot where it was previously located.
I noticed that this kit has been removed from their website, but is still available from internet sellers.

Dave B -
My pension is public and I have no 401 but kinda hate all our policies made to favor the elites.
Right now Jay Powell is intentionally crashing the stock market which is not favoring the elites, or any of us commoners who happen to have retirement funds invested in the market.
George - Best of luck with the eye surgery. At least you know what to expect.

Musician Steve Miller is 79 today. I used to see him at anti-war rallies in Lee Park in Dallas during the 60's. ZZTop was also there many times. Saw both a number of times since then.
Everybody have a great day.

One other thing Ken. You're going to need some wire. The far detectors have to be placed 6 feet from the crossing. That's 24 feet of colored wire for one board 48 feet for 2 boards. Then 6 feet for each near detector depending on where you mount the boards. The colored wire makes it much easier at install time. I label the wires with masking tape EF, EN, WF, WN. 22-gauge solid wire works the best. The colors of the detector's wires are white & black - blue & black. Add a couple extra feet to each wire for easy insulation.
George

Last edited:
Right now Jay Powell is intentionally crashing the stock market
Afternoon all, just popping in on my lunch break and its still been a very busy week both here and at home. Willie opened a can of worms though and I had to vent. How is it that the banks are all profiting, corporations are all profiting....yet our savings as mentioned and the stock market is dropping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back