Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
havent been in the diner for long time. Too much time out in the world of no www.
Had moms memorial on the 9th, day after she would have turned 93.
16 of a possible 30 first cousins attended: 5 are deceased, 7 unable to attend, 2 on other side of the Atlantic pond

didn't go back thru the posts to when I was last here, sure there was lots of good info exchanged & pics shared
thank you for all the responces

Thought show off my Bluford Shops transfer caboose collection....since I got another one recently the MOW MP 7501 to go with MP 7502.

I also won another one coming to me this week a red MP #13847 which will go well with sister MP #13087......

20220815_213201.jpg20220815_213143.jpg20220815_213132.jpg20220815_213127.jpg

Attachments

• 20220815_213124.jpg
    20220815_213124.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 36
Thought show off my Bluford Shops transfer caboose collection....since I got another one recently the MOW MP 7501 to go with MP 7502.

I also won another one coming to me this week a red MP #13847 which will go well with sister MP #13087......

View attachment 150240View attachment 150241View attachment 150242View attachment 150243
Good morning Alco, you have said won a couple of times now; am I correct in assuming winning eBay bids ? Secondly, when I first started doing the forum, I thought you were a UP guy, but you have about 4 road names now, are you collecting a few different road names ?

PS Good morning to everyone, have a great breakfast at the diner and have a great day !

Morning all,

80° and currently clear. A cold front coming through will limit the temp to 90°. Off today due to my physical. Originally scheduled for 8:30 and now 9:45, so I'm off instead of driving to work, Dr, and back to work.

So I have time for coffee and a short stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon. Trying to cut back a bit.

Wife's Dr appointment went OK. She's now officially a type 2 diabetic and finally has a handicap placard for her bad knees. I just have to go get them while I'm off today.

BBL

Good morning all! 64 degrees heading for partly sunny and 79.

Very busy at work this week trying to get everything ready for the first day of classes coming up on Thursday. Trying to get some stuff done and keep getting interrupted with other things. Thought I was going to get a lot done yesterday morning only to remember I had to attend CPR training, so that killed off some of my available work time. I didn't get anything completed yesterday that I set out to do but I made some progress. I'll have some help today so that will hopefully help get things done today.

Everyone in the main office was having a stressful day yesterday too so the Dean wound up buying Monicals Pizza (a local favorite) for all of us. Sure was good and I think it did help lighten the mood.

This evening I'll get off work, rush home to eat and then head out to the model railroad club meeting. It's being hosted at one of the members layouts this month. He was a big part of getting me to start the club back in 2016. He has a great O scale layout in a building that used to house his business next to his house. I'm looking forward to the meeting since I've missed the last two.

James: Nice looking caboose collection. I have one Bluford caboose in the Indiana Rail Road colors. I really like it even though some clumsy guy (me) knocked it off the layout table once and caused a few injuries to it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Well howdy there internet peeps, and those who like Monicals pizza. Had it last about 5 years ago down in Indianapolis area. Decent pie.

It's troy again

Need to go outside and start putting the patio away. take the canopy down and all that. But, I decided to do a preemptory application of Voltaren gel (arthritis NSAID cream) to the plantar foot, then tape it up before getting the ladder out.

Got to clear it all away so the Amish Woodpeckers don't drop stuff on our glass table, canopy, or ceramic grill while they're prying all of the old cedar shingles and trim boards off.

My, MY! Busy as beavers here today!
Todays weather (identical to yesterday?) Sunny and hot. Afternoon breezes, high around 98°F.
Thanks, FLO, I'll have an extra plate of bacon and join TROY over in the corner whiltse he contemplates having to move "stuff" off the patio.
OH, if you would ... please ask MEL to make me some scrambled with grits and gravy.

The Spousal Unit cooked a meal last evening that was Sooo .. good!
Grilled salmon, corn on the cob, and "slimey stuff" (lol - her description of Okra - which I love, but she refuses to eat it?). OK, leaves more for me.
A couple of glasses of 'Makers Mark' with Ginger Ale started the party off right.

There was an offer made on the "ranch" yesterday afternoon and a counter offer back. Will see what transpires today.

This morning it's back to the grindstone - Doctor appointment in Corona this morning which will pretty much take up the morning and then it is Rosie's turn to go to the groomer for her two month h/c and trim.

#1 Grandson has the CRV for school today and Spousal Unit has an eye appointment; I wonder how they are going to work that out?

I'm starting to YAP - FLO - More coffee please!

TROY, When , many years back, I had a plantar wort in my heel - it got so painful that I had to struggle to walk. My Doctor, a friend of mine said, as he stuck a pain killer into my heel, "this is going to hurt you more than me".
I must have risen at least a foot off the table - YOU would remind me of that!
I wish you the best, my friend, foot trouble is no fun - for sure!

Good morning from cool Wisconsin. Not only are we cool it might be considered cold too. 58f degrees now heading to 79. Yesterday was nice, a good sunny, mild winded day. I see sunset is at 7:58PM tonight, yesterday it was at 8:00, so we are moving quicker into darkness.

I went down to the stables to get the big mower yesterday about 10:30AM. Was met by the property manager who looked like he didn’t really want to talk to me. Matteo said he needed a favor, he wanted to go over budget for employees this month and add her to the grounds not stable crew. When I asked why he said he was trying to help someone out. Seems his wife was in a local gas station on Friday and found a woman and a kid cleaning up in the bathroom. She needed help and Matteo’s wife brought her here. They didn’t tell Terry because of the biopsy on Friday and recovery over the weekend. Long story short, Maria cut the grass yesterday and will be working with grounds until she can get settled. She is terrified of horses! Terry and her team met her yesterday after she was done working at 4. The Crew and daughter have her today. The child was put into day care which is part of the stable’s benefits. 2nd time this summer. I did contact a person in the Sheriff Office and she has no warrants. She’s been running from a boyfriend since April.

That was it and a hockey game for the grandson last night, one more next Monday and then no ice for him until the middle of September. Soccer is in full swing and I really dislike the game even though he is pretty good.

The only thing I have today is a meeting with the surveyor while her 8 year old daughter will hang out with the grandson and his grandma today. They are going to a Tuesday fund raising rescue ride a couple counties away. Part of the program that Terry hosts the last Tuesday of every month. There is one every Tuesday from May through October in Wisconsin and Northern Il.

Trains, maybe today!

enjoy the day

The solution was to dig up part of the line and install another clean-out about halfway between the original one and the tank. Lots of peanut butter-colored material is now spread out and fertilizing a nearby tree and the yard.
Astounding! My hats off to anyone who works as a plumber! That is NOT a nice way to spend a day, or two. Glad it worked out for you.
I remember that a guided tour through the sewers of PARIS was certainly an eye opening experience. There are literally "rivers" of sewage running through huge tunnels deep beneath the streets - it did not smell except for a little musty!

P.S. I dislike the "lowflow" toilets too - the ranch has them, and there has been problems with the septic - no "whoose"!

CURT - Nice build!

Welp... got outside right in time.

While I was on the ladder disconnecting the last corner of the canopy over the patio, I heard someone behind me. Saw three Amish men peering over the fence. They said they'd be in our section today.

Here's a shot of where they finished yesterday. The double bank of window well behind the tree are almost finished.
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.07.18 AM.png

They'll need to get the siding on the back side of the neighbor's bump-out, then wrap around their unit and into ours. I will be surprised if they finish our unit today. We might get it torn off, but not sided.

However, the Amish crew chief said he's got six men today. So...

Here's our unit, pre-tearoff:
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 9.06.16 AM.png

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 77°, headed for 101°, or so they say. Only reached 98° yesterday instead of the 101° that was forecast. Mostly sunny and hot for a couple more days, and then a slight chance of rain Thursday morning.

Stayed busy around the homestead yesterday, split wood and shredded a lot of brush and twigs from the recent tree removal project. The shredded remnants will become part of the garden after aging a few years. I still have piles that the utility company tree trimming contractor left me earlier this spring to use up first. Today looks like tomato preserving day. I have to inventory the stocks to see whether or not I need to make more spaghetti sauce, or just plain tomato sauce. First this morning, is to pick some more since I saw a lot of ripe ones late yesterday while I was in the pool.

Thanks to all who reacted to or commented about the cardstock structures yesterday; Tom O, Hughie, Karl, Troy, Patrick, Curt, Gary, George, Louis, Rick, OB Ken, Smudge.

I spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Over on the workbench, I started adding the top rail to the chain link fence that's going to be on two sides of the gas station.
IMG_1490.JPG

It's a slow process of using Gorilla Glue Gel to attach it to the posts. Today, I see which joints held overnight!
Meanwhile I continued with the landscaping over between the businesses on the industrial spur, adding four small trees and just a tad more coarse ground foam.
IMG_1492.JPG

Next up I will be adding a few more details to the coffee distributor loading dock. The work on the fence will continue for a couple more days. I have the fencing itself already cut out from tulle. That's leftover wedding veil material.

Jeff - I am not a fan of sound at all in my engines. I have been on layout tours where it is just overwhelming when three or four engines are broadcasting at once.
Tom O - That picture of Abe's office that you posted yesterday is one of the other structures that I have in cardstock. Mine didn't turn out too well and I am not going to use it. I may make another.
Curt - Yes the chain link fence is tedious and time consuming. I can only make a little progress at a time.
Some of these paper/cardstock structures are quite intricate, but they can add to the overall scenes.
Troy - Continued best wishes on your foot recovery.
Patrick - Being a type 2 diabetic isn't too bad. Many people over 55 fall in that category and don't even know it. Watching one's diet and weight can control it without medication, although the medication makes it easier to slide off the diet. Watch and count sweet and starchy foods, count carbs and some exercise all help. Someone else in the Coffee Shop overcame it and no longer takes medication. I have been gradually reducing mine, but with that minimal assistance I have maintained an A1c of 5.6. The Metformin medication is cheap.
Gary - In case James doesn't see your question, MP, CNW, MKT and some other roads were under the UP umbrella for many years. Their equipment was commonly seen on UP lines.

Today is the 45th anniversary of Elvis Presley's untimely death. Just another example of a person who had it all and let substance abuse get the better of them.

Everybody have a great day.

Sounds:

I like horns and bells, and also like the sounds of a diesel idling. And I have to admit, I like a brake squeal and the sounds of air let-off once stopped. But once she gets moving, I hit F8 to turn off the majority of the sounds. But I still like to use the horn on occasion, and will ring the bell when on a spur or in a yard.

Good morning all,

Fog and some drizzle driving in to work today, says it is 63° but feels cooler, cause of the dampness, I think.

Those blueberry cakes and bacon sounds good, Patrick, think I will have the same thing! And Sherrel, sounds like we both feasted on Corn on the Cob last eve. We found some local grown stuff, picked that morning, it was delicious. I had 5 big ears and Wife ate 3. Also, grilled hamburger over the open fire. It was a great meal!

Troy - hope the foot gets better. My wife had a similar problem, got some special shoe inserts from the "good feet store" in Maplewood (MN) and after a while, no problem. Custom inserts made there, custom made for the customer, one foot at a time. She wears them whenever she wears the shoes.

Willie - looks a bit surreal with those "Giant" clamps, almost seems like those skinny posts wouldn't be able to hold them.

Ended up with a busy weekend however did work on the train a bit yesterday. I had the day off cause had another tooth prepped for a crown, also a therapy session in the afternoon. Saturday did wood cutting and went to Quarry Days in Sandstone, ended up almost all afternoon there cause Beth volunteered with the library book sale fundraiser, Sunday it was Church then we walked our 4+ mile loop then were somewhat tuckered out.

Took this shot Sat morning after sorting rail cars. I have some bumps in my track, I believe adds realism as long as there are no derails. The gaps are intentional, sometimes block breaks, sometimes just for expansion as my train room is not environmentally stable:

IMG_2499.JPG

My main progress was cementing down the sawmill and office buildings, also building an infeed ramp for the sawmill

IMG_2503.JPG

I piled some sand and smaller material on the side and back of the office building, then eye droppered watery glue to adhere the building, also built up a little around the posts

Then here are these guys, my lighting is track lights so can point them in different directions, got a sunlight effect here, also shows up the figures well. Funny how they built that old truck, one of the lights must have fell off then got put on a bit haphazardly

IMG_2508.JPG

This last pic is the back of the layout, however feel I still need a step where the clipboard guy is

more later, Dave

Good morning Alco, you have said won a couple of times now; am I correct in assuming winning eBay bids ? Secondly, when I first started doing the forum, I thought you were a UP guy, but you have about 4 road names now, are you collecting a few different road names ?

PS Good morning to everyone, have a great breakfast at the diner and have a great day !

Gary,

That is correct 85% of my winnings are on evil bay the other 10% is on FB Market place. The remaining 5% is online orders or LHS.

As for Union Pacific yup that is my Main RR but I do collect cars, cabeese, and locomotives that were merged into the UP. As you know Union Pacific heritage is huge on the RR family tree. I was very fortunate to live in Arkansas to live the history of the multiple mergers Union Pacific had with the acquisitions of SP, CNW, MKT, DRGW, MOPAC, Cotton Belt, Rock Island and Western Pacific. So having MP caboose on the layout is all good since it was very common in the 80's during the mergers etc. When I lived in Arkansas in a small town called Benton there was a very small switch yard just south of the Alcoa plant in Bauxite. The local freight ran a MP red transfer caboose from that area down to Malvern and at times to Pinebluff doing all the local switching and pickups/drop offs. I worked in Little Rock and even did an internship at the NLR Jenks Shop for UP as well.

Last edited:
Bells, whistles and other train sounds, I love them!

Knocked down 30 stops for Amazon. Cut the grass, front and back. Got my shower and now I'm on the couch with my beagles.
Life is good!

I got some work to do, but that will wait until after lunch.

Pain, I know a little bit about that. I try to not to think about it. Works for me, most of the time. As I often tell my doctors, pain never killed anyone. I don't even like to talk about it. This is the most I will ever comment on it. Think of something else, anything else.

Low flow toilets, I love ours, but keep a plunger handy. Baltimore city water rates are insane, I'm happy about the savings.

O's win again!

😁

.Have a great day Everybody!

Low flow toilets: A lot of low flow toilets suck. Ones that were "converted" from previous hi-flow toilets and older new designs were not optimized to really work for low flow. Newer toilets that were specifically designed for low flow are designed to increase the flow pressure through fancy physics to overcome some of the problems that the normal or older low flow toilets have.

Not sure if these newer solutions work with 115 ft lateral lines but from what I gather is that these newer ones in normal installations work ok.

Plantar fasciitis: I guess I've been suffering from this as well. Didn't know that is what it was until the discussion came up here. Mostly in the morning or middle of the night when getting up. During the day, once it subsides after getting up I am ok. Sometimes a faint ache but the real problems for me are after not standing on it for a while. Even in the middle of the night: I get up to use the bathroom and by the time I am done it is a lot easier to walk back to the bed.

My wife bought a brand of shoes for us that is supposed to help with this. She was suffering from this but once she started wearing these shoes it got a lot better. KURU shoes is the name. I had some old shoes that were worn out but I would slip them on to run outside to get the mail or help the kids with the lawn mower or whatever. I got lazy and would wear them on short errands as well since they were easy to slip on and off. My "nice" shows I wear on Sunday (not traditional Sunday shoes however) also were a cause for me. I had a gel insert but it did not support the arch very well.

I bought an insert from Amazon that a pharmacist friend of mine said worked as well as, or close to as well as his fancy Goodfeet insert he had, and I put this in the Sunday wear shoe. Between not wearing my old worn out shoes but always the KURU shoes, or the Sunday wear shoe with this new insert, has greatly helped. I still have the pain but it is less than before. I just switched very recently to this new insert and always using the KURU shoe otherwise so I need to see how I am in another 1, 3, 7 weeks from now of doing it, and not just 1 week. My problem with my particular model of KURU shoe is that it is hard to loosen up the laces -- they tend to have a lot of friction -- so for popping out on short errands it is a PITA to put them on. But I am forcing myself to sit down and do it properly.

I also have a pair of Merrell shows that have theor factory insert and a small thin gel layer under and they seem to support my foot well. I wear them as work shoes at our building site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back