Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that stuff had to be protected to prevent rusting. Shows how much I know.....
The wire coils we used to get had a heavy oil film on them. While there was occasional rust spots on the wire it basically was a surface rust and came off during the straightening and cutoff process. If any was left it definitely came off during the dip tank cleaning before the plating process.

well, howdy there internet MRR people, and those anxiously awaiting Jim's next installment over on his Pinnacle Creek Mining and Timber renowned thread!

It's Troy again

The Amish woodpeckers have returned to finish the back side of the building. Looks like they'll be at our place as early as Wednesday. Maybe Tues. But the back side takes longer.

siding 1.jpg

Here's a progress shot after 4 hours:

siding 3.jpg

I'll check tonight and see how far they get. I may get another day or two of enjoying our upper 70s degree weather on the patio under the canopy. But it has to come down before they get to our section.

get to go meet my new Doc in about 2 hours. We'll see what kind of concerns he has. I'm still trying to lose the same 20 pounds that have been hanging around like a bad in-law. So he'll probaby tell me to eat less yummy stuff.

Good afternoon y'all. Partly cloudy 75°. Promised "steady rain" is now out of the forecast. :( Have a lot of yard work to do, but little desire to do so. Right now, I'm waiting on a notification that my Rx is ready for pick-up. Have a few groceries to buy, and don't want to make two trips...

JMRI does work with MRC's Prodigy Advance². Once I have my program track wired, I will make the necessary connections, so I can just plug in the lap top and program.

Speaking of the layout, I spent the weekend actually working on scenery. I completed the "cobblestone" surface around the freight house, and extended it to the edge of the engine house. I also placed a concrete bumper at the end of the through engine house track, and "Placed" the gang foreman's office.

Bumping Block on storehouse track 8+14_2022.jpeg

Curt: Something here should look familiar...thanks again.

Gang Foreman'sOffice 08_14_2022.jpeg

The foreman's office is the remnant of the Atlas Roundhouse, it has appeared in several locations on the layout, but fits best here. It's clearly obvious that the diesels on the inbound track are too clean...

havent been in the diner for long time. Too much time out in the world of no www.
Had moms memorial on the 9th, day after she would have turned 93.
16 of a possible 30 first cousins attended: 5 are deceased, 7 unable to attend, 2 on other side of the Atlantic pond

didn't go back thru the posts to when I was last here, sure there was lots of good info exchanged & pics shared

Good Day Gents
I FINALLY got back into the train room for a few hours Sat & Sun. Trying to figure out where I left off.. Wired some turnouts and track going into the sugar mill.. Experimented with some little round magnets I had. Sooner or later I'm going to have to invest in a bunch of couplers & magnets and I need to start looking for a couple GE 70 tonners. Too hot here to do much work, 100+ this week so I should get more train time in. Heres a pic from yesterday.
IMG_1487.jpg

On Saturday we had my dad's funeral. It was a nice event. The goal was to celebrate his life, and the faith in the resurrection and ongoing phases of life after this mortal phase. We had some musical numbers, a few grand daughters either gave remembrances of him or read things he had written (he was a blogger and also wrote some books about his life and also about his beliefs). I and my siblings spoke about our remembrances.

Then there was a simple graveside service (dedication of the grave) and after that a luncheon for family, where we talked about my dad and also talked with family members we had not seen in a while, etc.

My brother and his family had come up from Arizona -- flown into the small Provo airport on Friday morning and left from same Sunday evening. I picked them up and dropped them off. I'd ever been to this airport -- it is a regional one with mostly general aviation but does have Allegiant and Breeze Airways passenger services.

My sister who is in Africa with her family but had been here for a summer break left today to go back to Africa, as planned. All in all the timing of everything worked out for the best.

--

Today I got a package via Fedex from Japan. When the company I work for got bought out we got our stock units accelerated and we had a good amount of bonus cash in Feb. I got permission from my better half to get a couple of train things that were being released this year. Some were in stock things and some were pre-orders. The dealer in Japan held the in stock stuff for me (once paid for) and when the other stuff came in over the last couple weeks, and was paid for, he then sent it to me. He just sent it Friday Japan time and I already got it. And the Fedex cost for 5.5 lbs was less than US$ 30, which was slightly more than half of the DHL cost. (Part of this is the strong dollar at the moment which made everything actually be pretty inexpensive).

This is KATO stuff but is for the Swiss narrow gauge railway Rhaetian Railway or Rhätische Bahn. I have a few locomotives and passenger wagons already for it and added to that with some new locomotives, an open panoramic car, a luggage wagon, and a set of flat cars with containers. Reefer contains from a store in Switerland call Co-op and then Swiss Post containers.

IMG_5934.jpegIMG_5933.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent the morning and past lunch at VA with Dad. Fun times. After getting home I did a couple of outside chores then was going to go to the train room but decided I had zero motivation today. I did take pictures of the platform. Tomorrow is another day.

Karl- Nice layout shot.

George- That sounds like very hard work.

James- Congrats. Great looking diesel and layout shots.

Terry- That is ridiculous.

Willie- Great looking paper buildings. Hard to believe they're paper. I was talking about the chain link fence.

TomO- Very happy to hear the missus got the all clear.

Joe- Great work on the layout, but what's up with the spotless Pennsy equipment? 😂 😂 😂

Dave- Any progress is still progress.

Patrick- Very nice acquisitions.

The platform is sitting on one of my "weights."

layout125.jpg

layout126.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

WILLIE - thats quite a tale of the sewer backup! Lotta work - what caused it?
It's a really long story. Initially in 1980, the original homeowner made a serious mistake. My acreage is 14.59 acres, but he had to split it so that there was one acre free and clear to build the home on. He intended for that acre to be 104' x 416', but a misunderstanding between him and the seller resulted in a square acre of 208' x 208' being sold and the deed approved by the county. Before the builder pointed it out to him, he had the septic tanks, 2-500 gallon tanks, installed downhill from where he intended the home to be. Builder couldn't build without some time consuming legal processes, which would have delayed the builder, and the home buyer was against a deadline to move from his former home. As a result, the septic tanks are 150' from the actual toilet location, and the sewer line was flat with a small rise at the end. He got very frustrated with that and some other situations that he got himself into (not related to the house), and moved out nine months later. I wasn't aware of the sewer problem until about 3 months later. By then, I had paid off his part of the equity and he disappeared without a forwarding address. Moving the tanks was cost prohibitive at the time (which he already had known), so I redid the entire sewer line with more drop, and also lowering the point of entry into the tank by 7". Fortunately I had only partially installed the lateral lines at the time, so I left them in place and made a new exit 7" lower and went from there. Well, 150' is still too much; it worked for over 35 years and raising a family, but then we remodeled both bathrooms with "low-volume toilets". Gone went the "whoosh" when they were flushed and stuff began to settle in place. Despite using my "hydro-jet" about every two months, it just succeeded in jamming everything in the far end where there is an elbow going to the tanks. Water mostly seeped through so we didn't notice, but eventually that stopped. From the clean-out to the tank is still 115', but even Roto-Rooter only has a 100' snake. The solution was to dig up part of the line and install another clean-out about halfway between the original one and the tank. Lots of peanut butter-colored material is now spread out and fertilizing a nearby tree and the yard. The end result is that the line can be accessed more readily and should make maintenance much easier.
You asked!

Willie, and I thought we had it bad when it took a well company 5 tries to get good water at our place.

We bought a 12 acre property with an existing dwelling by the road. We were going to raze it and build a new ranch house about 800 feet back, behind a pond. The builder wasn't too worried about a well, since there was one operating at the existing house.

Lesson learned... always dig a well before breaking ground for a new build. We were lucky that the well company kept trying. it took 5 tries over 3 weeks to get a good water well. The first try was nice clear water, but the sediment was too much. The second try didn't provide sufficient flow. Third try, too much sediment. Fourth try too much sediment. Fifth try finally got clear water, and manageable sediment.... We have to replace a filter about once every 45 days or so.

But for a few weeks, I was worried we wouldn't have a good well.

George, how did you attach them to the walls ?
Thanks to Sirfordalot, Santafewillie, James, PRR Modeler and Gary for you comments. Gary and Santafewille asked how I attached the framing to the shed wall. I didn't. I was going to but then after seeing how strong it was on it's own I didn't have to. Sirfordalot commented he did about the same amount of work on a roof 40 years ago. So did I but I'm 76 now. Be prepared to lay down a lot of trapping. Cotton trapping so you don't slip and fall off the roof. When you use a chipping gun to remove the old brick work the old mortar fly's everywhere. It has to be cleaned up otherwise it will stain the roof when it rains. I formed out a drip edge under the cap. It should help keep the rainwater from the top edge of the brickwork. That's why the old brick work started cracking rainwater getting under the cap. I did most of the work myself except for the mason. If I had a chimney company come in with their fork lift's it would have cost me $5,000.00 I paid $300,00 for the mason $200.00 for the brick and mortar. I posted a photo of chimney cap and shed below. George

Shed_frame_01.jpg
shed_frame_02.jpg

Chimmey_cap_01.jpg

Welp.... back from the doc... he said I'm doing all the right things for my Plantar Fasciitis... next step if I don't "heel" up is a steroid shot in the heel. And that's a very very painful location ...

And he wants to start me on Lipitor. Yes, my LDL is high, but I have a strong family history of stroke and heart events. Seems that statins are actually accepted now for reducing such, per John's Hopkins and 20 years of data. I didn't pull up the peer-reviewed papers, but I did check their website and several other sources. So, I'm anticipating starting that once it arrives from the mail order pharmacy.

And, Mikey... be careful about letting the MAGIC BLUE SMOKE out of electronics. Without that blue smoke, things don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back