Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow Coffee Shop denizens! I've been quiet this past year, with little to no modeling activity. That's because I've been dealing with cancer. I found out I had it last August. Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy in tandem, which will kick your butt very nicely at times, and a week ago. surgery. I'm down one kidney, a very large tumor, and two lymph nodes. Good news is they got it all. I'm recovering nicely. I didn't share this here, or any other places because, well, you know, I just get tired of telling so many people the story and what's up. I have a year of post-surgery treatment with Immunotherapy and periodic checkups, but with a little luck, lots of prayers, and positive energy I should be good. I'm feeling like doing some modeling again, and when I get all my energy back, you should start seeing some more activity soon.

Good very wet dark morning from So. Central Wisconsin. I knew it was supposed to rain a bit overnight but nothing showed up until after 4:30. I was awake and out of bed from 2:15 to 4::20. Thankfully I was able to climb back into bed and I slept till 8:15. It’s raining very hard now and the weather cutety on local TV says it should continue to rain till about 5PM. The weather radar is packed with storms rolling one after another.
66f degrees now going up to 77.

Dinner last night was excellent, all the visitors seemed to have a great time. The Waygu beef that was on sale the other day was a good entree. It was very good but not that much difference from our normal steaks that I pay much less for. None of our visitors had tried it before and the SIL said it grilled the same as any other beef. Everyone tried it except for one current vegetarian. 8oz. serving sizes is what I had cut them into for the 8 folks and the SIL also had the vegetarian’s portion. $28.00 per pound on sale was a splurge and not worth it, IMO. Perch and shrimp were the true main entrees, but it is Friday Night Fish in Wisconsin. A tradition like no other. I don’t normally enjoy outdoor dining but last night even though it was in the mid 80’s was gorgeous and bug free.

The Internet from Spectrum was out from 6:15 when the music went out to after 11pm when it popped back on. The daughter was able to plug her phone into the sound system so background music did play. The folks were invited from 6:30 and all were gone by 11:30. Good time, good company and especially for yesterday no politics were allowed per the invite. Turns out my Endocrinologist is also the doctor for another of the guests. The fire pit was just perfect for talking and lots of topics. The coach explained the Name Image Likeness (NIL) rules and that to me that was very interesting. Basically it is like the Wild West in recruiting even for Womens Hockey now as there are no real NCAA rules just guidelines. Which explains how players can be driving super luxury sports cars. The schools aren’t too involved but the alumni are.

The grandkids will be here at 4 as the parents are heading out to dinner again tonight. Around 8 we will drive the kids home, bedtime in their own beds and then wait for the parents who will text around 11 saying they should be home at midnight. If the T-storms are out of the area we all will spend time in the pool. The grandson has a dark tan, the granddaughter like me will blister in the sun. She is not tanned.

The T-storms today will keep us from the Farmers Markets but Terry has enough fresh veggies from her plot and raised table beds and Wednesday visits to the FM’s.

Willie, the last 2 drives from New Orleans through Houston to Austin we stopped to eat on the Riverwalk. We avoided the Tx130 toll entrance and took the I35 north out of San Antonio but I-10W was being rebuilt back last Spring and the Fall of 2021. We have 2 seasons in Wisconsin, Winter and road construction, Texas‘s is year round road construction! Glad you made it safely. Enjoy the Christening.

Time to watch the rain

Hello fellow Coffee Shop denizens! I've been quiet this past year, with little to no modeling activity. That's because I've been dealing with cancer. I found out I had it last August. Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy in tandem, which will kick your butt very nicely at times, and a week ago. surgery. I'm down one kidney, a very large tumor, and two lymph nodes. Good news is they got it all. I'm recovering nicely. I didn't share this here, or any other places because, well, you know, I just get tired of telling so many people the story and what's up. I have a year of post-surgery treatment with Immunotherapy and periodic checkups, but with a little luck, lots of prayers, and positive energy I should be good. I'm feeling like doing some modeling again, and when I get all my energy back, you should start seeing some more activity soon.
Welcome back and the missing in action is understandable. Keep positive and of course listened to the doctors.

The problem with Petrol/Diesel vs Hydrogen is simply money, no oil company want's it, they'd be out of business in short order (and in all likelihood Governments would lose out too) as the revenue derived from the sale and tax is in the billions annually. Imagine having half dozen water butts in your garden to catch the rainfall, filter it, fill your vehicle, and drive away, all (at the moment) for free.

Oil companies were endeavouring (and to my mind still are) to strangle development of Hydrogen powered vehicles for that reason, but as we, the world's population, are now far more aware of the damage we are doing to the environment and Government's are having to accede to a greener future because of our awareness, which means the oil companies are having to reluctantly jump on the bandwagon, but it will be a long slow process.

If the oil companies invested a quarter of their annual profits to developing the technology we need, Hydrogen vehicles of all types and sizes could possibly in available at reasonable cost to the consumer in 5-10 years, maybe even sooner.

As a side note, BP doubled their profit to $6.2bn, Shell was $9.13bn, and Texaco made $14.4bn, and that is just the first 9 months of last year.

Good Morning all!
77F in Libby and clear

Took a friend down to West Kootenai Falls as there is a trail down to the river he did not know about. Got a couple of area pix I thought y'all might enjoy.
IMGP0401.JPG
IMGP0398.JPG

IMGP0399.JPG

IMGP0400.JPG

Good evening. Mostly clear and 76° Went up to 93° on the porch, sunny with puffy white clouds and blue sky. Kind of the perfect summer day.
We did get the patio furniture cleaned, and set up, and got the cushions out of the storage box. Then, we relaxed on the patio for a couple of hours.
Tomorrow, I need to stop at the liquor store.It's finally beer season.

How 'bout Houston no-hitting the Yankees? Spread over3 pitchers, a no hitter is still a no hitter. A lead off walk, ruined the perfect game. Orioles beat the White Sox again 6-2. I was disappointed that the Avs didn't put away the Lightning last night. That's hockey for ya.

Lots of graduation parties in the Neighborhood, this weekend.

This evening, we ran the sprinkler and hand watered the flowers. Wife also weeded the flower beds.

Alan: Sorry to hear of your ordeal with Cancer.

Went to the office for about 4 hours, then did some chainsaw work along a tree line.

Put on a swimming suit, then wore a life jacket like a diaper and floated in the pond for an hour or so to cool off and rinse off all the wood chips.

Brats, coleslaw and some left over onion pie from Father's Day.

Now we're sitting on the back porch listening to some blues.

Ainsley Lister on at the moment

Good evening gang!

Went today to the local VFD for their scholarship awards. One young lady received a scholarship from the VFD, and son #4 received a scholarship provided by the family of one of the founding members of the VFD. The family has been awarding this scholarship since 2014 to the best and brightest of the VFDs primary call area. This scholarship over the next 4 years is worth $24,000. Nice boost for the young man's future!

Afterwards we went to meet a potential new dog. He's a young German Shepard mix and is a very well mannered, sociable pup. All the forms are completed, I's dotted and T's crossed. We are #2 on the list, but #1 has yet to meet him and does not have their dogs rabies and other shots current (which PO'ed program director) They said we may know as early as tomorrow if they are going to bump them from the dog, so we may get him yet. If so the next step is a meet and greet with Bailey, then we can take him home. 🙏 His build, temperament and personality are very reminiscent of our late dog Bud.

Finally I did get more stuff moved in the basement today, and started marking boards for layout construction,,,,soo close!

Alan, It sounds like you have been through the mill, but also it sounds like you are on the upswing and looking forward to getting back to the hobby. Glad to see you back!

L8ter!

Alan- I am so sorry to hear of your battle with cancer, but very glad to hear that you are recovering. We have missed you!

I just posted this dog house picture to go with the mill house build I posted in structures. This is obviously a case of too much detail from 4 inches away. I seem to be a 10 foot modeler, where it looks like a dog house from 10 feet away. The only problem is that if I took the picture from 10 feet,
I could not tell what it was.

Attachments

• 20220625_185534.jpg
    20220625_185534.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 48
Safe travels, Willie!

This is a no photo and no modelling day. I have a toothache, and I'm doped up on pain killers. My mind isn't sending me any modelling signals at this time.
Dentist appointment Tuesday morning, 9:00am.

Have a great day, everyone. I'm going to try and sleep it away under the influence of pain killers.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and train whistlers. It's Troy again.

Wife realized she still has $40 in gift cards for the local chocolatier... a gift from her sister. She got them the first summer of Covid as a welcome back/birthday present.

And, we're heading into the summer festival season where the chocolatier gives tours of their facility, and you get the entry fee back in chocolate. So, wife is guilty about not spending the gift cards. Her sister REALLY wants to do the tour (and get $10 in chocolate).

And there is a shop from that chocolatier in the mall we drive by to go to most of our Sunday lunch spots. So, we'll be stopping to get the wife some chocolate today.

Wednesday of this week is her birthday, after all.

We're in for the 20 days of celebrations season.
Her birthday,
eight days later my birthday
eleven days later our anniversary...

Hmmm.... what to get her?
Flowers are on the list. Need to find a decent florist. Supermarket flowers never seem to last as long.

Also, she works from home on a laptop, and a 22 in monitor. I've got a 27 in and she's envious. Her setup has docking station and the station has a second HDMI monitor port. I'm thinking a run to costco to see what kind of mega monitor I can get her.

Yep. I'm a practical gift giver. Flowers, take her to get chocolate, and some tech to help her job....

Here's the pet-tax. Photo is of spousal unit 9 years ago when our void-kitty selected us at the shelter.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 12.51.58 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back