Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in sad news...

Looks like we've got an abandoned nest, missing parent birds, and two dead hatchlings.

Mamma bird made quite the racket yesterday when they were hatching. I was out, but wife was home and heard the cooing.

I peeked through the fence once. No big birds in the vicinity. I held the phone up in selfie mode, and got this:

View attachment 146416

Pic from this morning shows the birds in the same position, and we're not seeing the big birds coming back. No noise or motion from the little ones.

We do have a LOT of hawks in the area. I wonder if mama bird became hawk nibbles?

I'll give it until tomorrow, then remove the nest and put up something to make sure another set of birds doesn't nest there again.
I was going to mention hawks as a solution to the squirrel fiasco.

They surely keep our small critters in check.
GO HAWKS

TomO: Thanks for posting the over-view of the DuPlainville diamond. I remember the old Milwaukee signal tower thats been removed and the lack of commercial development in this area in the 1970's and even the 1980's.

The highway seen in the photograph was the main corridor between Sussex and Waukesha, Wisconsin and was only two lanes and it remains today. Quad Graphics printing started its business in DuPlainville and I believe it was the stimilus for additional developement that followed.

Greg

##################

I've taken care of several estates in my years. Leading up to the death of each person I had POA and used that to ensure all affairs were in order. Outstanding loans were all called prior to distribution. My plan of settling each estate was distributed to all concerned complete with a time-line of actions. Most states require the estate executor to notify all persons named in the will of the intent to execute regardless of what each person or organization may receive.
I have a clause in my will that states, any person named in my will who contests my will shall forfeit any and all distribution of my estate to them to the remaining heirs named in my will.
As I am widowed and not remarried my estate is distributed to my immediate issue and step children and my three nieces.

Ken

Your patience is much better then mine. I almost replied a couple times but thought better of it. People can read but even then they can’t comprehend what they read. I love what you are posting ”across the street.”
Your Cleveland to me is great. One of the few major USA cities I have never set foot in. Airports I have never counted as being in a city.
Thanks Tom! I'm glad you didn't react to the "auditors", I'm trying to prevent the thread from decaying into a slugfest which has happened recently on a few threads that seemed to start out innocently enough.

Good on you, Ken!

However... having been an executor, you probably know the best thing to do is to have all your assets in a trust. Your will should simply bequest anything that's not already in the trust. If you can keep an estate out of probate, you should. And the best way to do that is with a trust. Everything you own should be in the trust, or should have "pay on death" riders to keep things out of your "estate." There's nothing worse than having to plow through probate court.

When my father passed, literally, everything he owned was in the trust or had already been gifted to one of his heirs or pet charities. We ended up having to probate 1 bank account that had a few hundred dollars in it that he had earmarked for a specific charity. So only the charity had to wait. We heirs got our portion of the assets from the trust within about 2 weeks of supplying a death certificate. Of course, things like life insurance and IRAs have beneficiary designations and stay out of probate naturally unless the beneficiaries are deceased or otherwise not named.

One of the assets I inherited was my portion of my Father's IRA. As an "inherited IRA" I inherit the tax status of the plan. So even though I'm in my 50's, I am forced to take a Minimum Required Distribution as if I was 92, which is the age my Father would be if he was still alive.

Since professional critics hang out there, ya gotta expect that. WTF an Engine plant assembles engines...ergo it's a assembly plant...big deal.!
I really enjoy your blog there. Once you finish it, dress it up and submit it to Otto at RMC. Can't hurt to try, right?
Its all good, Joe - I knew the auditors would eventually show up - and they didn't disappoint [LOL]! :p My best defense is to ignore them.

BTW - I haven't been reading RMC much these past years...so could you elaborate on who "Otto" is?

Afternoon All,

The morning was spent with Dad at VA. After getting home I spent about 5 minutes doing a little paint touch up on the new pieces of fascia. After that I turned into a chauffeur for the second time today but this time for the wife. Tomorrow, I plan on finishing the wife's sewing machine cabinet.

Troy- He looks very well fed. Ours around here look anorexic. Cool video. I've seen a couple of his porch pirate ones. Sorry to hear about the birds but I guess it's the circle of life.

Hughie- Nice location for the build. It does however look like a driver had an accident in the parking lot. :D

Karl- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Jaz- How did you get the purple sheen around and in the water?

TomO- Sorry to hear about all the family crap. I haven't dealt with it yet since Dad is still around. Although I received no help over the 6-8 weeks it took to clean out their house (renting). Of course, both brothers expected me to drive furniture and other things to VA and MD from FL. The middle brother is retired and a widower but never offered to help. Still not happy about that, especially since he had us come up to VA (Mom, Dad and me) for a month two times to help him with his wife before she passed.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, all! We started the day with a pretty good thunderstorm and some heavy winds. Sun is out now and warm and muggy out.

Spent some time planting the Transfer building.
1653426157170.jpeg

1653426211746.jpeg

The space to the left is the only remaining un-scenic area left. It is reserved for Shipyard Brewing Co. Bar Mills kit 855.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Thanks Tom! I'm glad you didn't react to the "auditors", I'm trying to prevent the thread from decaying into a slugfest which has happened recently on a few threads that seemed to start out innocently enough.
I got into it last Fall at MRH forums with a “who is a Mr Know it all you r wrong no matter what you proof is guy”. Didn’t even look into that forum for 4 months. Had to ask JoeF to re-open the account. I look in every couple days. I asked the thread I opened last week to be locked. Mr Knows everything started on reasons for depression.

Keep it going thelayout looks great

Tomo

Spent some time, 3 hours over a total 6 hour spread out in the train room at the bench and under the paper mill. I added fiber optics to the machine building and needed to test fit where the fiber optic strands will goes through the 2” foam.

While the machine building is on and off the layout I hope to finish the lighting. Add some more venting, electrical boxes, pipes and general water management from the roof. So instead of opening up some new packages of those things I went to the bins. Pictured is just a portion of my parts and detail storage.
B7B34BC9-B123-4BF8-843D-E03F2FAE477C.jpeg

The BIC lighter was used to flare the ends of the fiber optic to create a light bulb effect. Terry quit smoking in 2014 so it is at least that old.

Its intermission time for the NY Rangers and Carolina Hurricane. Switched over to You Tube and Boomer Diorama, If you haven’t checked him out. You should, his scratch built light fixtures for his brewery are a work of art and oh so fricking easy. Episode #50 in his play list

The cost of apathy.
I attended my county supervisors meeting this evening which was to set the tax rate for property taxes for the next year.
They voted on a 34% increase which I had been warning my neighbors about for the past six months. I asked my district supervisor how many people had contacted her about this tax increase. She held her thumb and finger together to form a big fat zero.
Congrats folks. Your apathy for politics has just cost you an irrevocable tax hike of 34%. Around here that equates to around $600 - $1200 a year, but I'm sure the Homer Simpson TV show was much more entertaining and it's not cool to be concerned with the government workings.
Oh, by the way, they'll come back for another increase next year because they know it's easy now.

Good Evening.

Back from a full day of fencing.
Nearly done one, and another to build immediately after. The cost has escalated to 3x what it was just two years ago. The ballpark figure is $1000.00 per 20' of treated privacy fence. Incredible! People are asking me if I'll take a credit card. - Duh! Nope!

Still trying to finalize that first Sylvan 52 Ford. The enamel should be set now, but, I'm going to give it one more day before I clearcoat the body. I should have a final photo come Thursday. It's looking nice, in my opinion.
Never did get the time to prime the COE truck yet. Probably won't do it until the weekend.

And I'm hearing voices in my head: build a coal trestle, build a coal trestle, build a coal trestle...
Hope to get to that soon. Darn fences in the way!

Sorry, no photos today. There will be another day, though. Thank you for the likes on past posts.
Have a great evening! Oilers game 4 puck drop in 15 mins; the only time I watch sports; ever!

Good evening Shop Dwellers, I'm back again for a quick check-in. Took ~an hour to read thru all the recent posts and get caught up on the "likes."

Spent time writing up and posting four more photos on my layout blog across the street. Interest in it seems to be fading, only saw one new comment when I checked it this afternoon.

Estate settling and inheritances - I saw how my late MIL's will turned my SIL into a demon; made life positively miserable for my wife [who was the executor]. Don't want to go into any more detail than that, I've managed to suppress most of those unpleasant memories!

I'm trying to prevent the thread from decaying into a slugfest which has happened recently on a few threads that seemed to start out innocently enough.
who is a Mr Know it all you r wrong no matter what you proof is guy”.
They are why I’m here.
Interest in it seems to be fading, only saw one new comment when I checked it this afternoon.
Ken: Not for nothing, but you can not prevent a certified A-hole from being an A-hole. As a wise man repeatedly admonished me, Pay them no mind. You heard it from Tom O' and you are going to hear it from me, you are doing a fine job with your article, so keep going. "Know it all" probably doesn't have a layout...they are the ones who know best, eh?

I only have six posts over there since 2010 for a reason. MR kicked me off and I haven't been back. The Crylic translation of Boris the Cynic I used to use, must have offended someone, because I rarely posted there. That's before Vlad P invaded Ukraine.

Karl: I fully agree.

Ken: Most of the good blogs there - the ones that hold my interest - fade away fast there. Keep it going, every time you post something, it comes back up to the top.

One of the benefits of this Forum, is that the members are all respectful of their peers, regardless of experience and talent. Some of the other places attract a clique of self appointed "experts" that want to control content and participants.

Orioles made a game out of it, but lost to the Yankees 7-6, in 11. Nationals were blown out by da Bums, again. Phillies came back and are currently tied with the Braves 5-5. Mets down 6-2 against SF in the 5th.
Carolina collapsed again in the Worlds Most Over rated Arena, losing to the Gotham Rags, 4-1. Series tied 2-2. Oil all over the Flames who seem to have been snuffed out.
Have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back