Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most weddings, the father walks the bride down the isle, but then in todays changing ways, she may have something else in mind.
Dads usually play a starring role, bringing the bride in,I think it likely she is proud her dad can marry her, she obviously knows you might break down in tears and accepts this as part of the parcel, sounds like someone really loves and admires their dad :D

Here's what's on the painting table this weekend. I really want to finish off the Armoured Cars (Marmon Harrington). The one on the disk is a wrecked "table clutter" piece of terrain.

painting table.jpg

I printed it and its brother on the resin printer. Also did the tiger tank on the printer. The 20-pounder gun, and its Morris tractor (the squat truck next to the tiger) are from the gaming company. The gun is cast metal, and the tractor is cast resin.

Watched some "how to paint Tigers" vids on YouTube last night. I think I'm going to give the airbrush a crack to some shading and to get an even coat on the models. I always forget how choppy brush painting large flat surfaces looks.

Oh, and the Tommies in the darker uniforms are for the Normandy side of the battle. I'll finish them off later.

Been banished to the basement, sleeping in the recliner. Started feeling more tired than usual 2 days ago, woke up yesterday morning sounding like Barry White, went to work anyway and just didn't feel right all day. As nightfall came the throat got scratchy. Got home and the Wife had me take a Covid test.......Damn..positive! A co-worker left Monday feeling sick so I guess I got it from her, she's been out all week (unvaccinated). I've had my Moderna shots and my booster so I hope this is short lived. I really done feel all that bad.
There is a well stocked fridge down here, a large TV and the trains. It ain't all bad! ;)

BBL

Gonna be a hot day in Virginia here.
Start out with B'fast at a friends house and talk about train stuff with a few others.
Check in for a motorcycle poker run about 10am till 2pm.
Head out to Winchester to participate in a module clinic of the modular club I'm in.
Go for a ride till sunset.

Good Morning!

The wife's new flowers she left outside are probably dead; it's 29F this morning. She's not going to be a happy camper when she wakes up.
If the flowers didn't make it, that will mean another couple hundred bucks to the gardening centre. Greenhouse people love Canadian weather, they make a fortune on it every spring.

It's Queen Victoria's birthday long weekend. I don't know why it's celebrated; she was gone a couple of Queens ago. Plus, we Canadians don't actually have a Queen anyway. The holiday is known unofficially as the May two-four drunk. I don't drink, so I'll call it, 'just another day'.

Sherrel - I really liked the baseball team photo with you in it. I'm betting you remember the photographer having to use a flash bulb. Back in the good-ol-days, photographers walked around with pockets full of flash bulbs.

Curt - The framed print looks great! Looks like you'd better hang onto the coffee if driving up to the church; appears to be a rough ride road.

Karl - Good thing you are fully vaccinated. I really think it helps. Hope you feel better soon.

Too many photo's of a 52 Ford model starts to get boring. I did repaint the trucks blue/grey body, though, after installing the windshield. I'm going to give the blue enamel a couple of days setting time before I fix up the silver trim.

Lots to do today. Work on the layout, start another Sylvan truck model, mow the lawn, and price another fence job. It's going to be a busy one.

Thanks for all the comments and likes on these simple posts.

Have a good one!

Good morning all,

Decided to post today, as lots of odd jobs and an interesting project on the workbench, I will go to that thread today for a change

Troy - been meaning to ask, but wondered if I missed it, WHAT is your book about, and is there swearing in it?

Sherrel - thanks for deciphering the post

Jaz - thanks for the comment on the photo! The house on bricks is called the Anderson house, I think. I bought it as one of my first wood kits, it was made by Banta Model Works (a very distant relative). The Banta's have been in America since 1642, left from Holland. However, they were Swedes.

Guy - look forward to seeing your new truck come together

Curt - could see the progress on the miners encampment

Ken - be safe on the drive

Chooch - my omicron was easy, big symptom was night sweats for me, soaked the bed two nights, then BOOM gone!

more later, Dave

by the way, it was 33° this morning

Good morning from a chilled Wisconsin. 50f degrees now heading to maybe 58.

Karl, a frig, trains and a good chair isn’t a bad thing. I have my thoughts on the unvaccinated but I guess we have to treat it like the flu. Vaccinated or not we most likely are going to get it.

I have the granddaughter for a few hours this morning. Even though the grandson is out in California with his mom and grandmom, dad is still one of the coaches on the soccer team. With the weather in the miserable 50’s we will stay in. The doc on Thursday said I can go in the pool but no laps yet and try to avoid for another couple weeks getting the neck incision wet from the pool water. I told her its a salt water pool not chlorine and she didn’t really get what I meant.

A modeling buddy called yesterday knowing I can’t drive yet. He asked if I needed anything at the hobby shop and he would drop it off to me, he was in the parking lot. Well, I can always think of something in need at the LHS. Grabbed my list on the IPadPro/iPhone and called the LHS for the friend to pick up. Still no sheet styrene from Evergreen, definitely no .060 plain sheet. I had purchased all the .060 4-5 weeks ago he had even of the Plasitruc which is a bigger sheet but ABS instead of styrene. Tons of new Tamiya paints but no extra thin glue. Testors dull cote spray cans at $10.99 he has but I am looking for an alternative anyway. He has said since Christmas he has not received any sheet goods from Evergreen. I have looked online and my LHS price wise even with Wisconsin sales tax is a better deal then anything on line. The 25% discount the LHS gives me is great, but price doesn’t matter if it is unavailable. With my modeling slow down, I can live without for now.

IBKEN, is documenting in the MRH forums his layout build. A very nice switching layout and has started to posts some pictures different from his postings here. Sometimes it helps to go elsewhere but he hasn’t left us. I love the clean lines of his modeling, this he posted here on 5/14
461AE4C8-124A-4153-A6B5-A4C692D17A80.jpeg

A nice re-purposed Walthers steel mill building he is using for 84 Lumber

Not real sure what I will be doing this afternoon. I could turn the golf on if I need a nap. I loved the NHL hockey last night. Carolina beat again the over hyped IMO the NY Rangers. The Oilers/Flames game was very exciting and tied when I hit the pillow at midnight.

Everyone be safe

Tom

Good morning all,

Decided to post today, as lots of odd jobs and an interesting project on the workbench, I will go to that thread today for a change

Troy - been meaning to ask, but wondered if I missed it, WHAT is your book about, and is there swearing in it?
My books are published under a nom de plume. DM me if you want the link

They are technically Cozy Mysteries. As in Agatha Christie

But, they have paranormal elements. As if Ms Christie was a fan of Harry Potter's world (the first few books). I rarely venture into the darkness of the latter couple of the HP books. One series (Mystic Brews) has a sleuth who sees and hears ghosts. The other series is a SoCal town built on top of a magical toxic-waste site (magical faerock). The sleuth is a pixie realtor with a gimpy leg and wing. No ghosts, but a couple of mini-dragons who appear as cats, in case a mundane is around.

The rules for Cozy Mysteries
-No Gore. I can show a dead body on the page. Graphic details are left out. For instance, in the Pixie Twist book 1 plot, the victim was killed with her own antique sword. She's found face down on her desk, sword sticking out of her back. That's almost all the details you get. No coroner's reports... but details from such can be discussed by characters if needed to advance the mystery.

-No Sexy bits. In that same book, Sleuth and her new boyfriend share a kiss at the very end of the book. So far, that's the only kiss in the 5-book series. If there are sexy times beyond flirting or a smooch, it goes off-page (fade to black, close the door, that sort of thing.) So far, I'm not writing romance, though both series have couples dating in them.

-No Cussing. In the aforementioned Pixie series, the explicative is "Faerocks!" in the other series, it's usually "Coffee Beans!" I think I've used a couple of "Crap!"s across 13 books. Those were saved for very serious needs to swear.

Now, if you take offense at snarky, talking, magical cats... there is a ton of snarky cat antics in every book.

Also, these books talk about Fae Magic. A la Harry Potter style. Not a direct copy, but that's how you get snarky talking cats.

Hope that helps.

Good morning.

69° Hazy, becoming hot, 95° hot, and humid. Air quality alert for Ozone...ignoring the yellow dust which upsets respiratory systems.

Hope you feel better Karl.

'Canes beat the Gotham City Rangers again,:), Edmonton evened the series with Calgary in a low scoring, (5-3,) game.

I watched the Baltimore Orioles - Tampa Rays game. Gave up at the end of the 9th, with the game tied 3-3. O's won with a walkoff homer, (second game in a row), in the 13th. Yankees postponed (rain), Mets postponed, (Snow in Denver). LA Bums beat da Phillies 4-1. (the Dodgers lost their soul, when they left Brooklyn).

Enjoy your weekend.

CR SA-31 @ Tinton Falls on 05-19-2022  MICHAEL gUIDA pHOTO..jpg

SA-31 Southbound on the Southern Secondary last Thursday Night. (05-19-2022) Michael Guida Photo. Passing through Tinton Falls, approaching Shrewsbury Ave. Notice the battered joints on the stick rail.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 75° with 82% humidity. Although it's starting out rather warm this morning, it is only expected to reach 80° today and 66° tomorrow. Chance of rain for the next five days maybe totaling 2.5". I hope so as the garden needs it and it has been too windy to use the sprinkler.

Still at it trying to catch up with the mowing yesterday. Everything has been cut back to about 6.5" and about a half acre has been cut to normal 3.5" height. There is actually part of the "back 40" that hasn't been done yet, but that's not unusual even when the mower isn't in the shop. The pool is operating normally and was quite refreshing the last two days. It's kinda early this season, but the removal of the 40 year old Ash tree that used to shade it in the morning has allowed it to warm up more rapidly. Checked out the accuracy of the pool thermometer yesterday to find that it's actually registering 1° higher than it actually is. So the water was really 82° yesterday instead of 83°. Need rain there as well to top off the water level.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments regarding the layout shots yesterday; Tom O, Dave B, Chad, Sherrel, Hughie, Louis, Mikey, Smudge, James, Curt, Karl, Rick, IB Ken, Guy, Jaz.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started adding window treatments to the bank windows. I took some pictures of trains for "Front End Friday" but forgot to post them. They'll wait until next Friday.
Here are a couple of shots of the north wall in the train shed.
IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

OB Ken - My oldest grandson started 10th grade in the fall. Among other things, he is the "first cellist" in the school orchestra. He bought two tickets to the orchestra banquet and much to my daughter's surprise, he took his girlfriend instead of his mother who actually paid for the tickets!
Jeff - Interesting about the tolls to Savannah. They have eliminated all cash tolls in Texas and even if you are from out of state, they just take a picture and send the bill.
Troy - You're not alone with three times a week laundry for two people. I do four, but one is devoted to the bed linens only.
Dave B - While I can't say that I have experienced the shaved head thing, I haven't actually shaved anywhere in 50 years.
Guy - Regarding the windshield thing. Looking at what you posted, you just need more practice. But even then it doesn't always work out. In the car that I made the tutorial with, that one did not work out to my satisfaction. It was my first experience with Elmer's Glue. Despite my best efforts, that one dried a bit cloudy. So I did the passenger side windshield with Aleenes Tacky Glue. Much better and I suspect that any canopy glue would also work out well.
IMG_0936.JPG

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Well, I've finally done it and finished the Branchline Goods shed kit, wont be buying another one either, it has lots of parts to give it a 3D effect, which is good, but too many very similar parts which is a pain and the "Instruction's" are no help, as all you have is a set of diagrams, so I did fit a few bits where they don't go, but I'll let you see if you can spot the obvious one's.

shed1.jpg
shed2.jpg
shed3.jpg
shed9.jpg

Also decided a goods shed is no good without any, so added a few from another kit I have.

shed1g.jpg

And of course the obligatory lighting to go with.
shed6.jpg

Morning all,

Missed yesterday due to computer issues overnight Thursday that took me into Friday. Still had one I was working on from home last night. I still got my mowing done yesterday afternoon, as I was monitoring a sever move from PD to City hall. Thank goodness for virtual machines.

Cloudy and unseasonably cool to day with a high of 60° maybe later.

Oldest granddaughter wants me to take her to a fishing clinic at the city lake in a bit. Not looking forward to it as we do have a wind chill and will be where the wind is blowing the cooler air off the lake.

Guy: I like the acetate window.

Willie: Thanks for the windows lesson. Something I'll need to try when I can get back to the trains.

Smudge: Nice building. They always look good with stuff inside.

Try to BBL, everyone have a good day!

According to the internet, 3 hours is the average length. 3 hours, 10 minutes, 7 seconds in 2021. According to a different source on the internet, from 2019, 295 is the average total number of pitches thrown (both teams combined).

At least its not (some forms of) Cricket, where a match can last days 🤣 🤣 🤣 :p :p :p 🤣 🤣 🤣
Agree 100% the matches that last 3 or 5 days, or "Test Matches" are just that, test your patience more like, the shorter versions are much better, either a 1 day match which is just that works out at 50 Overs (each Over being 6 balls) X 2, is better.

The shortest version is T20, which is 20 Overs X 2 and takes 4 hours (each side is penalised if they go over their allotted time) which even if you don't watch Cricket I suggest you take a peek at least, currently the IPL (Indian Premier League) is on, which I highly recommend.
A game I watched earlier this week had a score of 234, not bad when they only had 120 balls to reach that number.

I woke up this morning and went into the basement to see how the glue dried on the fist section I ballasted a week or so ago. All good!

There is a big N scale show about 45 minutes from me, but I can't make myself go this close to our daughter's wedding.

So I'm putting legs on a Rock Candy wall we built for the reception.

There will be more train shows. And even if there wouldn't be, I'd still prioritize my baby.

Have a great day, everyone! We're expecting storms and high heat/humidity this afternoon, so I'm in high gear to get er done.

Good morning all! 67 and partly sunny on the way to rain and 78. Already had a light thunderstorm through a couple hours ago. Slept in today and it sure was nice. No big plans today so far. Editing some train videos and going to upload them to my YouTube channel later. Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

Mid Morning to all you RRoaders back there! It was solid overcast all day yesterday and starting out that was this morning. Scratching my head trying to remember the last overcast day- does not happen very often here. It is still very cool (cold to me) and only supposed to reach 68 today.

The Spousal Unit has decided that we are too old now to take care of the "ranch home", but now she wants a lap pool added here. I told her that I have no objections as long as I don't have to take care of it! I came to hate the pool we had years back as neighbors trees-and our own- were a nightmare along with a massive real stone waterfall that I never could stop leaking.!!

The local daughter is involved with a yard sale for the entire block where they live. Last night I had to help her and hubby load several things from our garage to place in her sale. I would like to go and see how they are doing this morning; however, ....

I discovered two different places inside the house of termites! I just hope they have not done too much damage to date: I would hate to have to torch the place? I knew about the first place, but the second has me a little concerned as it is upstairs in the master bedroom!
I have Terminix coming this morning to check it all out. I know, I know - It's just money!!

I've been feeling a very little bit better - at least yesterday? Last night was pretty lousy sleeping - so, I will see what this day brings.

LOVE everyone's pictures and posts. Great work folks!

BBL

Mid Morning to all you RRoaders back there! It was solid overcast all day yesterday and starting out that was this morning. Scratching my head trying to remember the last overcast day- does not happen very often here. It is still very cool (cold to me) and only supposed to reach 68 today.

The Spousal Unit has decided that we are too old now to take care of the "ranch home", but now she wants a lap pool added here. I told her that I have no objections as long as I don't have to take care of it! I came to hate the pool we had years back as neighbors trees-and our own- were a nightmare along with a massive real stone waterfall that I never could stop leaking.!!

The local daughter is involved with a yard sale for the entire block where they live. Last night I had to help her and hubby load several things from our garage to place in her sale. I would like to go and see how they are doing this morning; however, ....

I discovered two different places inside the house of termites! I just hope they have not done too much damage to date: I would hate to have to torch the place? I knew about the first place, but the second has me a little concerned as it is upstairs in the master bedroom!
I have Terminix coming this morning to check it all out. I know, I know - It's just money!!

I've been feeling a very little bit better - at least yesterday? Last night was pretty lousy sleeping - so, I will see what this day brings.

LOVE everyone's pictures and posts. Great work folks!

BBL
What’s the cure for the little buggers? Tenting the house?

What’s the cure for the little buggers? Tenting the house?
Quickest and easiest is to let the professionals like Terminex do it. A whole house treatment usually runs at under $1K, but of course they want you to also purchase their annual plan if you want it guaranteed. This price is not guaranteed in CA, but is generally in range in the rest of the country.
Very effective homemade treatments involve borax, boric acid or white vinegar solutions. These are what the pros use. A wide ring of salt around the perimeter of the house is pretty effective at keeping them away after you eliminate them.

Good morning, all. Starting out as a very warm day. I mowed and edged yesterday in an effort to beat the rains forecasted for the next 5 days or so.
An old friend called last night to let me know he had been hacked. He had gotten an email stating $197 dollars had been charged to his paypal account. He called the phone number in the email, thought he was speaking to paypal, they got quite a bit of his information, but when they asked for his bank account the bells and alarms went off and he hung up. Moral of this, should you receive an email from someone, and you have an account with them, DON'T call the provided phone number. Look up the company and then call.

Guy - your truck is looking good. I like the way you aged it.
Dave - is that your take on an "elf on a shelf", a traveler on a track?
Willie skinny dipping is just not a mental image I need.
Smudge - Nice looking building. You did a nice job with it.
Karl - A stocked frig, a large TV, train layout and not having wife always talking, that's your idea of banishment. Hope you recover quickly.

Work continues on the Transfer Building. Hopefully I'll get it about 95% complete today. I fibbed the other day, saying this was my first American Model Builder kit. I had forgotten about the A.C. Brown kit I did about 2 months ago.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back