Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all!

I was able to head home an hour early yesterday so I could mow before it rains for the next 3 days straight here in Ohio. Good thing, too. Grass was tall and thick! I mow about 6 acres.. takes me right around 3.5 hours as long as I don't have to stop too many times to pick up sticks that are too big to just run over, lol. Seems all our trees are somewhat litterbugs when it comes to deadwood falling out of them... Lots of Walnut, Pin Oak and Buckeyes.

2 weeks from today, I will be rolling out of bed in Savannah, Georgia, as we prepare for our Oldest Daughter's wedding on the 4th of June. I am NOT looking forward to the 11 hour drive, but I do have the route planned, including a pit stop about every 3-4 hours that has a Chick-Fil-A and a filling station. The only thing left is to get the correct change for toll booths along the way.

Our Daughter has asked me to perform the wedding. I'm fine with public speaking, and don't get nervous in front of people. I frequently speak in front of audiences. I announce for local school sports programs, and I teach sailing to large groups of people. BUT... BUT... I'm a crier. I tear up just watching a chick flick (OK, that's an exaggeration, lol)... but seriously... How am I going to be able to watch my daughter walk down the aisle without getting emotional???? Arghhhhh!
Your her Dad, your supposed to be emotional at her wedding, blubber away my friend, no one will notice. :)

HI all,

Still around, just focused on the kids and the wife and still healing from the knee surgery.

Dau and SIL leave tomorrow morning for Wash DC. I will miss them loads upon loads. They have been living with us in the house for almost two full weeks whilst wrapping up their apartment. He has a touch of autism and the upheaval of giving/selling things and the accompanying mess was driving them both batty. So they came here. Its been lots of fun! We are all getting along quite well. Will be sad to see them leave.

Wife's professional world is heating up again. She just started a major upgrade to their sterile processing systems. So they have to send all instruments to other sites for cleaning and sterilizing for the next two months. Major hiccups, to be sure. She is major stressed.

Knee healing pretty good! Fell Wednesday night, and hurt yesterday, but better today. Doing PT and using ice as needed. Hoping to play nine holes Tuesday and see how it goes. If good, maybe 18 on Friday and back to my usual summer routine.

Even with the kids getting along so well - - I will say it will be nice to get back to routine. Our food habits, drink habits, sleep habits and much else are all out of sorts - so I will be insisting upon quiet days ahead after they leave. I haven't tried to do anything layout-oriented since before surgery. After the leave - will get back to it. I did buy a vortex paint shaker which I will put to use soon. Also had another 'great' idea concerning the interior switching area. Hope to lay that track soon.

Bye all - enjoy the gift of the day! Steve J

🤣 🤣 Think it's more likely to be embarrassing having your tackle on show than anything else, that, and feeling a breeze in places you never thought likely after you've shaved parts you thought were there to keep you warm.:)
Having never shaved there, I can only guess...
I did shave my scalp once, and was surprised at how much that hair protected my head. I went to wearing a cap in short order!

Afternoon All,

Thunderstorm in progress here (on an unplugged laptop). This morning was spent putting the miner's village buildings and their lighting on the layout. I'll take a lighted photo tonight. I'll start adding details tomorrow. The afternoon was spent going to 3 grocery stores with MOH. 😣

Jaz- Neat little loco.

Karl- Nice layout shots.

Guy- Everyone has their own preferences on how they do things.

Ken (IL)- I'm glad your sleep is improving.

Ken D&J- Facts are often stranger than fiction.

Willie- Interesting layout shots.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Troy- Good idea with the carpet.

layout56.jpg

This is a print I picked up at RRMP years ago that had a broken frame. Got it back with a new frame today.:D
layout55.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning from Wisconsin where we will top out at 75f degrees.

Where does an 18 year old learn to hate so much that he walks into a grocery store and kills 10 unknown people?

No plans for the day. The son turns 37 today.

TomO
I know where the guy who did the same thing here a couple of years ago learned it. From a book: It starts with a K, ends with an N and has five letters. No prizes for correct answers, other'n satisfaction (Yup. They did it once again).

My nephew was trying to make an appointment that day to get vaxxed, and he said later the only reason he wasn't right there right then when the shooter turned his sights on the vaxx line was because the grocery store's website kept crashing, so he couldn't get the appointment.

He was still close by, though, as he went down hoping to do a walk in...but thankfully was not in the store.

He was pretty subdued that day, and for another reason too: He went to school with the youngest victim. That young man was a hunter, and a strong supporter of the second amendment. He went to work that day (during the first lockdown) because "they need me."

My nephew said "I knew him pretty well, although we weren't friends." Then he got quiet. "We used to joke about him. About him being the next High School Shooter."

"I guess we were wrong."

Our Daughter has asked me to perform the wedding. I'm fine with public speaking, and don't get nervous in front of people. I frequently speak in front of audiences. I announce for local school sports programs, and I teach sailing to large groups of people. BUT... BUT... I'm a crier. I tear up just watching a chick flick (OK, that's an exaggeration, lol)... but seriously... How am I going to be able to watch my daughter walk down the aisle without getting emotional???? Arghhhhh!
Most weddings, the father walks the bride down the isle, but then in todays changing ways, she may have something else in mind.

I've lived in this town for fifty-three years, and the latest snow I remember was May 15, way back when I was in high school. Until today.
My last GF had just signed on (high level management) at one of these National Weather type outfits/institutes and she talked a bit about the first meeting with her boss and the top brass.
He had just testified before Congress on "global warming," and it hadn't gone very well...
...so he announced: "We're changing the label to 'climate change'."
Nope. No more of that fifty-fifty proposition stuff. When it's 'climate change' they are right either way.

Not being a baseball fan, you lost me with this post

Dave
I think that LOUIS referring to the fact that "no long hair, clean shaven, and NOT fussing with batting gloves".
The looks of baseball that I grew up with!

1958 VFW National Champs, Hershey, Pennsylvania
That's me smack dab in the center of the pic.
The tall guy behind my right shoulder played for the Milwaukee Braves a while.

20220520_132622.jpg

🤣 🤣 Think it's more likely to be embarrassing having your tackle on show than anything else, that, and feeling a breeze in places you never thought likely after you've shaved parts you thought were there to keep you warm.:)
Not embarrassing to me, I don't own a bathing suit and one of the neighbor ladies even joined me one afternoon after she had a couple of brews before coming home from work. The only time I have to be real careful climbing up on the deck is 4:15 when the school bus passes. The breeze however??? I am more concerned with the person doing the shave!!! I hope that they are careful.

Not embarrassing to me, I don't own a bathing suit and one of the neighbor ladies even joined me one afternoon after she had a couple of brews before coming home from work. The only time I have to be real careful climbing up on the deck is 4:15 when the school bus passes. The breeze however??? I am more concerned with the person doing the shave!!! I hope that they are careful.
Usually it's you who will be doing the shaving, and with your beard, your definately out of practice, so don't cut something you may need later. 🤣

Just out of curiosity, roughly how long does a baseball game take to play, time wise that is, and how many pitches on average, per game ?

Too long, and too many.

Honestly, I can't abide watching baseball UNLESS I am actually in the stands. It is great fun to actually be there. Only went to 1 major league game in my life -- Boston vs Detroit back in the late 80s. I was working with some boy scouts and it was Boys Scout day at Fenway so we took our crew down. Drove down to one of the outer-lying train/subway stations and took the subway to Fenway. Was great fun, even in the $2 way outfield seats we had.

Our local minor league team, Salt Lake Bees (AAA LA Angeles affiliate) gives (or used to give) free tickets to schools and stuff and so my kids and I have been several times to see games there, though not in the last 5 years, and it is always a good time being there.

This is just me and I know not what you asked.

According to the internet, 3 hours is the average length. 3 hours, 10 minutes, 7 seconds in 2021. According to a different source on the internet, from 2019, 295 is the average total number of pitches thrown (both teams combined).

At least its not (some forms of) Cricket, where a match can last days 🤣 🤣 🤣 :p :p :p 🤣 🤣 🤣

HI all,

Still around, just focused on the kids and the wife and still healing from the knee surgery.

Dau and SIL leave tomorrow morning for Wash DC. I will miss them loads upon loads. They have been living with us in the house for almost two full weeks whilst wrapping up their apartment. He has a touch of autism and the upheaval of giving/selling things and the accompanying mess was driving them both batty. So they came here. Its been lots of fun! We are all getting along quite well. Will be sad to see them leave.

Wife's professional world is heating up again. She just started a major upgrade to their sterile processing systems. So they have to send all instruments to other sites for cleaning and sterilizing for the next two months. Major hiccups, to be sure. She is major stressed.

Knee healing pretty good! Fell Wednesday night, and hurt yesterday, but better today. Doing PT and using ice as needed. Hoping to play nine holes Tuesday and see how it goes. If good, maybe 18 on Friday and back to my usual summer routine.

Even with the kids getting along so well - - I will say it will be nice to get back to routine. Our food habits, drink habits, sleep habits and much else are all out of sorts - so I will be insisting upon quiet days ahead after they leave. I haven't tried to do anything layout-oriented since before surgery. After the leave - will get back to it. I did buy a vortex paint shaker which I will put to use soon. Also had another 'great' idea concerning the interior switching area. Hope to lay that track soon.

Bye all - enjoy the gift of the day! Steve J
Steve

Glad you are recovering.

What Vortex shaker did you purchase? I love mine, makes a difference with the paint. That’s it next to the almost empty diet A/W root beer

TomO
73D16A99-A9F7-4710-BAC1-9B4368A70F49.jpeg

Good Morning all!

I was able to head home an hour early yesterday so I could mow before it rains for the next 3 days straight here in Ohio. Good thing, too. Grass was tall and thick! I mow about 6 acres.. takes me right around 3.5 hours as long as I don't have to stop too many times to pick up sticks that are too big to just run over, lol. Seems all our trees are somewhat litterbugs when it comes to deadwood falling out of them... Lots of Walnut, Pin Oak and Buckeyes.

2 weeks from today, I will be rolling out of bed in Savannah, Georgia, as we prepare for our Oldest Daughter's wedding on the 4th of June. I am NOT looking forward to the 11 hour drive, but I do have the route planned, including a pit stop about every 3-4 hours that has a Chick-Fil-A and a filling station. The only thing left is to get the correct change for toll booths along the way.

Jeff- one of the things I love about Wisconsin is no toll roads/bridges. My wife’s uncle did the vows & exchanging of the rings for our wedding. He’s a WELS(WI Lutheran Synod) pastor.
How a out this manly young man!?
Old school!
Louis- I got to see him at Camden Yards in his final season. My BIL was in South Jersey in the middle of his PCS from Ft Wainwright(AK) & Heidelberg, Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back