Truck pins needed for N Scale Con Cor passenger cars

videobruce

Tower Operator
I have a N Scale Con Cor 80' smooth side passenger car with no trucks and no pins.
They are a 'split' pin design. Any idea where/what I could use to secure replacement MT trucks to this with?

Is the split pin attached to the frame of the car such that a hole in the truck fits over it? Or is the split pin loose like a kingpin?

I came across an old tank car with a split pin that was attached to the frame of the car. I believe it was an old Arnold product, but I was never able to determine which replacement truck would fit it, but never did figure it out. The issue I had wasn't the truck itself, it was the old style Rapido couplers... I also couldn't figure out how/which MTL coupler might fit if I just wanted to upgrade the coupler in the existing trucks. I ended up just pitching the trucks, cutting off the split pins, and using the tank car as a stationary oil tank in my scenery.

BUt when talking about passenger cars (like yours), the trucks could be very different than the ones I came across.

The pin is separate like Atlas, but a much larger diameter. At the end of the split (similar to a chothes pin, there are small outward tabs that hold it in place.
A basic good design, far better than most straight pin designs.

Wish I could help. In your shoes, I would probably look for a small screw, but you my need to put some resin or something in the hole first... something for the screw to grab hold of.

There are two cars, both in excellent condition. Only one needs the pins, the other needs couplers.
I did think of a screw, but the diameter would be too large for a short screw to work with those trucks. I'll going to look around and see if I can get lucky. :rolleyes:

Most new MT truck sets come with a push-in adapter for Concor cars so the included pin can be used to secure the trucks.

I've converted a few cars in the past by gluing a suitable piece of plastic tubing into the car frame, opening up the hole with a proper-sized drill bit, and using the push pins that come with MTL trucks.

I've converted a few cars in the past by gluing a suitable piece of plastic tubing into the car frame, opening up the hole with a proper-sized drill bit, and using the push pins that come with MTL trucks.
Yeah, I would do something similar, but might consider an epoxy putty (the kind you knead with your fingers to mix) to fill the hole completely, then drill a new hole for the std MTL pin.

Back