Poses ballast spreader & glue applicator

videobruce

Tower Operator
Has anyone had experience with these products from the UK?;

The both seem to have some merit, I have hundreds of feet of N scale Peco track to ballast and I'm looking for input here. The spread with a spoon (or similar) seems kinda messy and slow with cleanup afterwards. The price seems worth it depending on the feedback I get here.

I just discovered that these are also sold under the Bachman name.

This appears to be a similar item (16m into the video);

Last edited:
I've tried several ballast spreaders over the decades and haven't found one that truely works. I have always had to go back and adjust the ballast with a brush if sorts.
I would say any ballast spreader is just as efficient as pouring the ballast using a disposable cup. Either way, ya need to touch it up quite a bit.

I purchased one of the ballast spreaders since I did hear some good comments about its operation. It still remains to be seen if the comments were correct.

Greg

Has anyone had experience with these products from the UK?;

The both seem to have some merit, I have hundreds of feet of N scale Peco track to ballast and I'm looking for input here. The spread with a spoon (or similar) seems kinda messy and slow with cleanup afterwards. The price seems worth it depending on the feedback I get here.
There are plenty of these around, just go on eBay and will cost a lot less than the Proses one, which I think are overpriced for what they are anyway. Like these.

Oh! and they come from Turkey, not the UK, some UK shops like Hattons just stock them. You could make your own with styrene if you wanted too
I bought their track cleaner, which is definitely one to avoid.

The problem with those designs, there isn't a bottom door to close, if you pick it up whatever that remains, remains in a pile on the track.

The problem with those designs, there isn't a bottom door to close, if you pick it up whatever that remains, remains in a pile on the track.
That's solved by not filling it to the top as you get toward the end of the section your ballasting, or keep going till it's empty.

Back