Freight House 933-2954

Mike
I hear what your saying, also I can see your reluctance to move even after all this time, the house obviously holds a lot of memories for you to be sure.

But the temptation for the move is obviously there for you too, but I agree, it's a lot of work tearing the layout down and moving it, and doing the rebuild, but it would be a shame to just leave it in boxes, (unless your thinking of donating it to a local club or selling some of it off).
But knowing how much work and effort you've put into your RR, I think that would be a waste of your hard work, I say move it, if your son has a lot of people working for him I'm sure he'll "lend" you a couple of guys to help, as long as you've done all the prep work, shouldn't take long, a day, maybe two, and if you can get your hands on his box van ??. I'm sure knows how important the layout is to you, (I doubt he would have offered you so much space otherwise) and I'm also sure he's already thought about your move should you decide to go ahead with it, maybe having another conversation with him about it would ease your mind.

As for the pole building seeming too large, maybe so, but there may well be a reason for it, as he's already said, maybe he's thinking of getting more Horses, or could simply be be he needs the extra roof footage for the solar panels, to ensure he can get the power he needs, in the UK, if you have solar panels, you can sell the extra energy back to the energy company and make some extra cash, maybe he's thinking of doing something similar, or it simply could be that he reckons he needs the extra power for your trains :) After all, as you said, it really is his business to know.

I agree with you, swapping out 30 van's in one go seems a little over optimistic to me too, groups of 5 or 10 would have made more sense to me, I don't know any dealer that would have 30 vans sitting around waiting to be bought, but leasing them does actually make sense as any maintenance etc. is for the leasing company's pocket, and any breakdowns they would have to supply a replacement vehicle. We have two coaches that are leased from Scania, all maintenance, mechanical repairs etc. they have to do and they pay for it, so any major faults are Scania's problem, and we get another vehicle if the repairs will take more than two days to complete, also any breakdowns while out on the road, if it has to recovered then that's Scania's problem too.

Now I know you have a Bobcat, you realise if your doing the digging, your gonna have to post a photo of you both.

I agree with Todd, hope to see you back here posting your new layout, why not just pop in the coffee shop and shoot the breeze with the rest of us.

before all went away

Attachments

• DSC_0393.JPG
    DSC_0393.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0397.JPG
    DSC_0397.JPG
    445.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0399.JPG
    DSC_0399.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0403.JPG
    DSC_0403.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0404.JPG
    DSC_0404.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 76
Reminds me a lot of when I tore down my old layout during moving. Saved a bunch of buildings, many of which are on the new, condensed version. Still I have some buildings that just don't fit, but I like them, not sure when I will decide what to do with them.

I have some newer era freight cars, locomotive, etc also reluctant to get rid of. At least they are sorted out, maybe with inflation they will be worth more so selling them on ebay may be better than the dumpster.

The thought of all that time and hard work, going into a dumpster, it's heart breaking.

Whatever you decide to do in the many years you have to come, please keep in touch, shooting the breeze in the coffee shop is always an option.
And we will still need your expertise and guidence in all things that are MRR.

Back